This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transfering BV files to new computer

I need to transfer my BV files to a new computer. I've read the advice on the forum but much of it is several years old. Have there been any new developments that make it easier?

I understand that transfering from the C drive to a usb stick changes the code and see that text transfers but not the photos.

Importing each page via existing html works for my website with a white background though I'd prefer transfering everything at once.

My website with a green background becomes graded from light to dark green, left to right, during the import process. This is not an improvement.

A transfer cable hasn't been mentioned in the discussion I've seen. Would photos transfer via a cable or does this also alter the code?

Bethers said back in 2007: "Realize, for images to show on the new computer, you'll have to move all them over also - and unless you can move them so that the path is identical on the new computer, they won't show on your pages unless you call them back up." How does one do that? Back up to me is putting files on a cd, dvd or usb stick.

Thank you for any help/advice.

Anxiously,
    Sarah King
    Sarah
    british-cemetery-elvas.org

Re: transfering BV files to new computer

No, the method has not been simplified, and Bethers' comments were rhetorical, not contributory: the paths will be broken upon any migration of files of any sort or using any manner of transfer - even if you copy over each and every source Folder, since each computer stamps it's own ID on folders in the heirarchy .... you will need to manually re-insert the images onto each page, and most likely also any dynamic Style as well (Menu, hyperlink style, shadows, etc.).
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Vasili, et. al:

I didcovered a Windows 7 "gotcha" when I transferred my pages from XP to W7. The path can't be the same no matter what you try--BV when installed puts all your pages in a folder under the Documents and Settings folder. Such a folder does not exist on W7 and cannot exist on W7 because W7 is coded to have a fake Docs and Settings folder that cannot be reached, modified or deleted; for compatibility I guess. It's been discussed thoroughly on the Internet and there is no workaround. That means all BV objects require a new path when transferred to W7. It's just a matter of manual labor. Other than that, my transfer went smoothly.
      CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
      CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
      CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

Thank you both for your replies. I feared as much.

Curiously, my pages publish with all the images in place even though they've disappeared from the work pages on my new [W7] computer.

I may just leave it like this and reinsert the images only on the pages I edit. It will be difficult to get the logos in the heading in exactly the right place since I created these sites the old-fangled way, on one page and cloned, without html boxes. Didn't know about them then.
        Sarah
        british-cemetery-elvas.org

Comment

Working...
        X