• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Malhoeira
    Second Lieutenant

• Mar 2007

using BV on more than one computer

I miss the search box that used to be at the top of the Customer Forum page. So I don't know whether this question has been asked recently and, if so, where.

When I last transferred my BV files to a new computer, the text and navigation transferred but not the images. They were replaced by white rectangles. I transferred using a usb/memory stick. I understand that was the problem. The code changes.

Is there another option for managing BV files? If I kept my backup on an external HD instead of a usb stick, could I transfer BV files from one computer to another without losing the images?

Is there a 'cloud' option? Would that solve my problem? Does BV offer cloud-storage of websites?

Thank you for any suggestions.

PS I have the 'subscribe to this thread + email me instantly of changes' box ticked but don't receive email notification. What do I need to do to fix that?
    Sarah
    british-cemetery-elvas.org
  • Vasili

• Mar 2006

Re: using BV on more than one computer

About Forum Search ... review THIS POST and especially THIS POST

And, regarding External Backups, THIS POST should prove helpful.
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• Malhoeira
      Second Lieutenant

• Mar 2007

Thank you Vasili. Very helpful. Though I have a question re. your response on your recommended thread: are you capable of running your installation of BV from the same external drive? This way, you need not worry about page version being dedicated to a single computer if both the resources and the BV program are both on the same external (but local) drive

Is it possible to run BV from a thumb? I can imagine that it would be better to download the BV program onto an external HD and add my BV files. I expect that BV needs more gB than on a thumb though my BV files fit onto a 4 gb thumb.
      Sarah

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

You are correct, and have personally discovered my purposeful intent of using words carefully: I specified an "external drive" (external hard drive) and not a "storage device" (thumb, USB, or Micro-Drive).

Comment

• Malhoeira
          Second Lieutenant

• Mar 2007

Not quite there using BV on external HD. Help!

Re. my thread May 10th. I bought an external hard drive and noted that it is E: on whichever computer/whichever usb slot I plug it into. So far so good.

I downloaded BV to the E drive and I downloaded my BV files to the E drive. I saved a .pdf file to my peninsularwar200.org files on the E drive. See screen shot 1.

When I try to upload this .pdf via FTP, I find myself on the C drive even though I accessed the file via the E drive.

I thought there might be a conflict between the C and E BVs so I deleted BV from the C drive. But thereby deleted all my files too. I reinstated my BV files onto my C drive, accessed the E drive and tried again to upload the .pdf . No luck. Screen shot 2.

This is what I've tried: clicking on the BV icon among my E files. Going to Pages in the PW200 file and clicking on .pdf pages.

When I downloaded the BV files to the E drive, should they have all gone in a special BV folder as they do automatically when downloading to the C drive?

Oops, can't upload screen shots.

Thank you for any and all help.
          Sarah

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Each drive must have BV installed (both the external and the computer) for BV to function properly. The installation on the computer is the one you will "open" to begin work, and the E drive (external) is the installation you will "copy to" any saved files.

This method of using external drives across multiple computers is not one for the casual or beginner User. It might be best for you to simply stick with the common method of "one installation of BV per computer" so you can use it with full confidence and get the predictable results you can count on.

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Did you find a way to deal with this, or did you decide to do it the simple way instead?

Comment

Working...
              X