Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing Published pages from the Internet?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Published pages from the Internet?

Recently we created all new pages for www.benefitplace.biz.. We would now like to Remove/Unpublish many of the old legacy pages. If we need to utilize cpanel, which section do we use and how do we identify the pages for removal? Thank, Phil
    www.BenefitPlace.biz

Re: Removing Published pages from the Internet?

If you don't know which pages to delete, how is anyone else supposed to know???

If using File Manager in cPanel is too intimidating for you, try using BlueFTP instead -- it's simple to understand and access, and
    this tutorial shows you how. If necessary, pause the video and re-review until you understand the concepts completely before proceeding.
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Originally posted by Eides View Post
      Recently we created all new pages for www.benefitplace.biz.. We would now like to Remove/Unpublish many of the old legacy pages. If we need to utilize cpanel, which section do we use and how do we identify the pages for removal? Thank, Phil
      As an offhand thought, you may want to check regularly in your Google Webmaster account and look under your specific website in the "Crawl Errors" category to see how many pages are still out there on the internet as 404's.

I might be wrong on this (Vasili?) but if another website has back-linked to one of the pages that you are deleting, and you cannot contact them or get them to delete it, then you'll have to create a 404 page with that URL to redirect the customers back to the new page you have published.

You can check this link out.

There might be a better way to do this, but at least you are now aware of the "crawl errors" thing.

I have a ton of these I have to fix. Hope this helps.

Comment

I seriously doubt he has gotten anywhere near this far in his site development, John.

But, good point just to mention for others to keep in mind ....
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
          I seriously doubt he has gotten anywhere near this far in his site development, John.

But, good point just to mention for others to keep in mind ....
          Thank you.

Finding and cleaning up back-links, as I understand it, goes hand in hand with something to do after simply deleting a page from the FTP. On that Google page, it said 404 errors weren't really a big deal, but it is to me if someone thought they were going to my site and lost interest because they hit a 404 page. I can't stop thinking about, "What if they had gotten information to lead them to my site instead?".

I also did a Google search on "Find my backlinks" and there are a lot of free tools out there to see how many links on the Internet lead back to pages on my website that I am using, and even ones that I had deleted but are still active on those websites and blogs. I was overwhelmed by how many there were, and a lot of the links I do not use anymore.

I tried "Backlink Watch" and got 129 links to my website. It is also interesting to see what people are saying about my website when I click on the links where people are linking to me.

Another very good article I discovered about cleaning up dead, no longer used pages URLs is here (How to get rid of unwanted back links)

Thanks for letting me contribute.

Comment

Working...
          X