audio for menu bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• audio for menu bars

ok, i gotta a stupid newbie problem and i've scoured the forum and can't find anything, so i'll just ask. i'm adding .wav files to my menu bars for cursor rollover sounds. they work fine in the button preview in BV, but they do not work on the published pages. i've tried in IE6, Firefox, and Opera. does anyone have a clue what i'm doing wrong?

thx in advance if you can help me.

weez

Re: audio for menu bars

In button preview it is making the link between the wav file on your computer and the button on your computer. Once you send the page to the server- it now has no connection to the wav file. Therefore you need to upload the wav file to the same dierctory or folder that you published the page with the buttons. Simply publishing the page will not drag over the wav file as your are used to with jpg and gifs.

USe the FTP manager to move the wav files to your server.

Hope that helps.

Andy
    PHP- is a blast!

Comment

thanks for the fast reply Andy. i have the files in the proper directory and they are on my server, but they still won't play on the pulished page. i'm not giving up yet though.

Comment

weezer-

I just tried with mine and found that it initially did not work either. The reason is the cache in the computer. When you preveiw that page it remembers the location of the wav file previously-before publishing. So do this;

Select the wav file that you desire and send it to the server via FTP Manager. Then click on the nav button and set the properties. In the sound mouse over list the wav file. examle; mysound.wav

You can also choose what button you want as a mouse over too. Click ok save and then publish.

Now bring up the page that it is on in your browser. Hit the F5 key about 10 to 15 times.
        Now try the mouse over.

That should do it.

Andy
        PHP- is a blast!

Comment

weezer-
          Just an additional. If you really want to have fun- you can record your own wav files very easily if you have a Windows OS and a microphone.
          Windows comes with a sound recorder (Start>Programs>Accessories>Entertainment> Sound Recorder)

You can record anything. Heck- I all but forgot about it until you mentioned it. You could even record instruction, greetings etc...

Check my little test out- http://netisopen.com/test/musicmouseover.html

Anyway- have some fun.

Andy
          PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Andy,

Thanks again for the quick help. i followed your instuctions exactly and still got nothing. if you van think of anything else i'm willing to give it a shot, but i don't want to waste your time. thanks again.

weezer

hey Andy, i just tried your test button and it didn't work for me either. i've tried 3 different browsers on 2 different machines. is it possible i'm missing some sort of plugin?

Comment

It caused my IE to crash !
              Navaldesign
              Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
              Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
              DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
              Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

weezer-
                Yes that is possible as I viewed your site and the soundover works fine. Maybe check your internet ssettings. Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>
                ---scroll down to multimedia and make sure "play sounds in web pages" is checked.

Thats about all I could think of.

Andy
                PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Ouch! Mine survived. Sorry Naval.

Andy
                  PHP- is a blast!

Comment

jeeeez Naval, i'm really sorry! i'm completely new at this and i'm already crashing peoples browsers. i feel like an idiot. it actually runs fine on my IE though.

ok, my IE settings are correct to play sounds on websites. i haven't restarted this machine all day..when in doubt i always give that a shot.

Comment

I Wouldnt Bother I Had The Wave Files Etc For Mouse Over Coused Me Nothing But Greif And So Wasnt Worth It Besides To Much Upon Page Load Up Is Not Always So Good
                      The get vasili to join our forum campaign has begun

www.thatgoodsite.com and our forum of fun also starring my hero vasili
                      Weve got movies,arcade,radio,T.V,chat,music,funny vids,jokes and lots and lots of fun for free

Comment

It crashed on Andy's page
                        Navaldesign
                        Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

thanks for relieveing me that burden Naval...i was guilt trippin pretty hard. i really appreciate everybody's help. at least i know it's working on somebody's machine.

Comment

Naval-

Double Yikes!! What do yout think it could be? Did all the standard and have viewed/played the wav on several computers here and at work.

See anything in the script that would cause such a thing?

Andy
                            PHP- is a blast!

Comment

ok, i slept a little and came back to this. in my firefox browser i've noticed an "additional plugins are required to display all media on this page" message. it keeps telling me i need to install quicktime which make no sense to me and doesn't seem to help anyway. i'm stumped, but i'm fairly confident that the problem is not BV or my page at least.

anyway, this was my first experience here on this forum and i was highly impressed. i can't tell you how much i appreciate the rapid responses from you guys helping me get this narrowed down. thanks again.

weezer

Comment

Working...
                              X