Browser Screen Width

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browser Screen Width

I've just built my first web pages using BlueVoda and I am amazed at how much fun this is!

I have a question about how the pages I create are viewed on different web browsers. I was working on the pages over the weekend at home and when I viewed the pages on my different desktop and laptop computers using safari (mac), firefox and IE, they all looked about the same. Everything from the BlueVoda working space appeared within the left and right borders of the screen without have to scroll from side to side to see everything.

But now that I am at my office computer, still using firefox, the page content is too wide to be seen on the screen at the same time and I need to scroll back and forth. The browser seems to have added about an inch or so white space to the left of what I had designed, causing everything to be pushed over.

Since I want to make sure that everyone who views the site has the same experience and I would like to prevent the scrolling, is there anything I can do to force a browser to show the page in a certain way? Also, any ideas why I'm getting different widths here at the office?

Thanks

Wes

Re: Browser Screen Width

Originally posted by entrada
    I've just built my first web pages using BlueVoda and I am amazed at how much fun this is!

I have a question about how the pages I create are viewed on different web browsers. I was working on the pages over the weekend at home and when I viewed the pages on my different desktop and laptop computers using safari (mac), firefox and IE, they all looked about the same. Everything from the BlueVoda working space appeared within the left and right borders of the screen without have to scroll from side to side to see everything.

But now that I am at my office computer, still using firefox, the page content is too wide to be seen on the screen at the same time and I need to scroll back and forth. The browser seems to have added about an inch or so white space to the left of what I had designed, causing everything to be pushed over.

Since I want to make sure that everyone who views the site has the same experience and I would like to prevent the scrolling, is there anything I can do to force a browser to show the page in a certain way? Also, any ideas why I'm getting different widths here at the office?

Thanks

Wes

www.mcfishduo.com
    Different computers have their displays set to different resolutions, this is probably why you are experiencing these variations in appearance.

A good rule of thumb is to design your page to 800 px wide and centre it - this will look good to the widest audience.

I hope this helps.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

oops! I made the same mistake! I'm a beginner at this, how do I go about fixing the page size problem. Do I need to go back to the drawing board and start over? Can I fix it from my control panel?
      I've been trying all my life.................

Comment

Hi there

Click on the link below this will help you both
        Click the link below for page guidelines (no more sideways scroll)

http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/sho...eferrerid=5490

How to Center your page
        http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...tml#post124746

Comment

thanks, that helps a lot. But what should I do now that I've already published it?
          I'm satisfied with my site if I could just get the size thing fixed.

Comment

The only way you can change the page width is to re-open your pages in BV, edit them if they need to be edited to fit the 800 pixel width, save them and republish
            Navaldesign
            Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thanks! I'll do that.

Comment

Working...
              X