Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I create an updatable menu bar for all pages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I create an updatable menu bar for all pages?

Hi, I would like to use a common menu bar on all pages. If I make a change to this bar can I some how update all other menu bars on the site with just one action, like you would do in front page or dream weaver. or is there onother way to do this.

Thanks

Chris.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Re: Can I create an updatable menu bar for all pages?

the way i know and do is just update the front page one and then copy paste into each page doesnt take long
    about ten mins easy realy
    The get vasili to join our forum campaign has begun

www.thatgoodsite.com and our forum of fun also starring my hero vasili
    Weve got movies,arcade,radio,T.V,chat,music,funny vids,jokes and lots and lots of fun for free

Comment

This can cause you problems Allstar. Amanda and Trish have some experience (a week of madness truing to fix the buttons). Menubars Should be built form scartch, since under certain conditions, you might have problems with the butto images.
      The way to go if you want to have only one menubar, as well as header, footer etc, is I-frames: have a look at http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...r-i-frame.html
      Navaldesign
      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

There is that way of doing it. Or you can create your menu/navigation bars and then use an I Frame to display the pages of your website. And there are two ways of accomplishing this. One is a way that Navaldesign uses and suggest and that can be found here;
        http://netisopen.com/computer/IFT002/IFMenu.html

The other uses the method described here;
        http://www.netisopen.com/computer/BGMT001/bgmusic.html

All are very good methods. With the second two- you add or subtract once and your done. With the first one- if you have 100 pages, make sure you have the coffee on as it will take a while. I am currently adpoting the method described in the second tutorial noted.
        Hope that gives ya some help.

Andy
        PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Goodafternoon Naval!! Man your quick!!!

Andy
          PHP- is a blast!

Comment

lol i like to think i appeal to the more thick variety of people, not thet any one here is thick i mean i speak as a laymen, then i let you ( my fellow b.v men) tell them the real way to do it lol good day gentlemen i bid you farewell and thanks for showing me up lol
            The get vasili to join our forum campaign has begun

www.thatgoodsite.com and our forum of fun also starring my hero vasili
            Weve got movies,arcade,radio,T.V,chat,music,funny vids,jokes and lots and lots of fun for free

Comment

allstar-

Not meant to show you up my good friend. Many ways to skin a cat. Knowledge of all is a good thing.

Andy
              PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Andy,

I think you will make a EXCELLENT General, great job on tutorials and thank
                you very much, your contribution has not gone un-noticed.

Brad

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                02036089024 / United Kingdom
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hi everyone,
                  I have already tried that one Andy, the only problem is my menu has dropdown sub menus & if I keep the inline frame small & neat the drop downs can’t be seen as they open up within the frame. I know its me being fussy, but I would have to make the iframe quite large & this would leave a big space at the top of the page.
                  What it needs is a small script so I can create a menu on lets say the home page then all other menus can be linked to that menu via a bit of html pasted on each page. So if I update the index menu all the others will do the same.
                  Problem is I cant find a way to link that sort of menu bar to other pages.

Could be idea for BV.

Cheers.
                  Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thank you very much Brad. It is a pleasure to be a member of this form and associated with BV. You guys do a top notch job. You have a truly impressed and loyal customer. Thank you for a great product and an opportunity to make many new friends here.

Have a great weekend and I'll see ya on the forum!

Andy
                    PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Originally posted by Collectors-info
                      Hi everyone,
                      I have already tried that one Andy, the only problem is my menu has dropdown sub menus & if I keep the inline frame small & neat the drop downs can’t be seen as they open up within the frame. I know its me being fussy, but I would have to make the iframe quite large & this would leave a big space at the top of the page.
                      What it needs is a small script so I can create a menu on lets say the home page then all other menus can be linked to that menu via a bit of html pasted on each page. So if I update the index menu all the others will do the same.
                      Problem is I cant find a way to link that sort of menu bar to other pages.

Could be idea for BV.

Cheers.
                      If you make your I frame the same dimensions as the page, there is no size limitation, just follow http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...r-i-frame.html
                      Navaldesign
                      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Hi Navaldesign,
                        This I think this has expanded Andy’s suggestion & will get straight on it. The only reason I was looking to do this as a link, Is I keep hearing that some search engines & browsers are not keen on inline frames & will not open in some browsers. So I was a bit worried that I would loose my navigation to some of my visitors.
                        (Sorry Nav, no pun intended) Do you know if this is true?

Thanks to all of you for your help.

Chris.
                        Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Links in the Iframe will work properly on all browsers. Links in the main page, covered by the frame, might have some problems in Firefox.

I don't think there is aproblem with SE, as the content of the frame is anyway in your site. Bethers suggests use them carefully, but if you only use them for the navigation (and headers or footers) i don't think there is a problem. Or at least my site, which has ALL the pages built this way, doesn't have any problem, Google, MSN, Yahoo, and others have seen perfectly the content of both the page and the frame. Google "Navaldesign".
                          Navaldesign

Comment

Whoopee,
                            Just had a little test & all seems to work fine in firefox /mozilla /Netscape /explorer/ yahoo.
                            The site will have quite a few pages by the time I have finished, so tips like this will save loads of time for alterations as i am going along, & for a later date. Time now to make 3 or 4 templates for the site with some inline frames.

Many thanks.

Chris.
                            Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Working...
                            X