This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Single Menu Page with Bv and PHP

I published http://www.aboriginalarttreasures.com as php & everything was working fine. My main menu, which is horizontal, is done on it's own page as per instructions. On several pages (as appropiate) I also had a menu bar at the bottom of the page with related pages on it. eg. Privacy page at the end of the Home/Index Page; about the artists at the bottom of the paintings page etc. No problems.
    Last week (after looking at a couple of stores of other members) because I have so many pages in my store I decided to add a menu bar with some of my product pages to my specials column. (This is also on its own php page.) That worked fine; but my problem now is - all the other menu bars on the other pages have disappeared. They aren't visible in preview or when published. What's happened?
    www.dinkdy.info
    www.aboriginalarttreasures.com
    www.thegemlovers.com
    www.bigticketmoney.com

Comment

Olease provide a link to one of the problematic pages where the menu disappeared.
      Navaldesign
      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Here's 2 for you. My index page has a menubar with links to privacy & Links on it. The products page has a whole swag. I've put links in the 'flags' on the products page - but also put menubar with all the links in at the bottom. Quite a few other pages have menubars as well. I did all my links very carefully as I was building the store.
        Attached Files
        www.dinkdy.info
        www.thegemlovers.com
        www.bigticketmoney.com

Comment

Hi Vicki,

i need a link to the pages themselves (the problematic ones) not the files. Please post a link to your pages.
          Navaldesign
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

However,i believe this is a conflict between two of the embedded pages: Menu and Myspecialbars both have a dropdown menu which is, in both cases, named "Menu1" so i believe that this causes a conflict between the two.
            Navaldesign

Comment

Here are all the pages that have problems with the menu bar (at the bottom) not showing:-

There were a couple of others, but I changed the menu bars to hyperlinks.

The names of the two php pages if you want to check them are:-
              http://www.aboriginalarttreasures.com/menu.php &

If I need to change a name, please tell me what where. It probably is something like that because it seems it happened right after I added the menubar to myspecialbar. (Incidently I remember when I first added the menubar it didn't appear on 'preview' & it tooks several attempts at moving it around etc before it finally appeared). Unfortunately I didn't notice there was a problem immediately & even then I thought it was just on one page.
              www.dinkdy.info
              www.thegemlovers.com
              www.bigticketmoney.com

Comment

As i said, there is a conflict between the two menus. Here is the solution:

Open your "Myspecialbars" page. Copy the menu. Paste it back in the page 3 - 4 times. Each time you paste it, BV assigns it a new name (instead of MenuBar1 it will assign the new menus names like MenuBar2, MenuBar3 etc.)
                Delete the first ones and only keep the last (which will have a name like MenuBar4 or 5, depending on how many times you have pasted the menu in the page.)
                Save your specialbars page and publish it again.
                Navaldesign

Comment

Hi,
                  I have been able to successfully use this method to place all my elements so far in my first attempt at building a website. www.crookwellshow.com.au The site is in its infancy but is live. I'd really like to use a CSS menu generator which I found on line at http://www.webmaster-toolkit.com/css...enerator.shtml
                  I need some guidance !!!! The generator only works on line and it gives you a working result on "their" page and two windows - one with the CSS code and one with the HTML code that is required. I've tried fiddling around with trying to place those codes in my page construction but with no success.
                  I'm not in the "good books" with my wife having spent so much valuable time 'playing and learning and reading', which I really enjoy.
                  I've had to 'bite the bullet' and ask for help.
                  Everything I've learnt about web construction I've learnt from this forum and my own persistence in trial and error.
                  Hope I can achieve this as I'm not content with what I did achieve with the Blue Voda menus (maybe I could if I kept redesigning and experimenting)
                  Thanks in advance.
                  Rick

Comment

George,
                    This technique works for all menus, including text menu? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Meanderer View Post
                      Hi,
                      I have been able to successfully use this method to place all my elements so far in my first attempt at building a website. www.crookwellshow.com.au The site is in its infancy but is live. I'd really like to use a CSS menu generator which I found on line at http://www.webmaster-toolkit.com/css...enerator.shtml
                      I need some guidance !!!! The generator only works on line and it gives you a working result on "their" page and two windows - one with the CSS code and one with the HTML code that is required. I've tried fiddling around with trying to place those codes in my page construction but with no success.
                      I'm not in the "good books" with my wife having spent so much valuable time 'playing and learning and reading', which I really enjoy.
                      I've had to 'bite the bullet' and ask for help.
                      Everything I've learnt about web construction I've learnt from this forum and my own persistence in trial and error.
                      Hope I can achieve this as I'm not content with what I did achieve with the Blue Voda menus (maybe I could if I kept redesigning and experimenting)
                      Thanks in advance.
                      Rick
                      Hi, should of popped this one in the css area. On the generator part, create the code as per instructions on that site, then go to your BV page properties html area & paste the code bellow into “Between the head tag” & replace the part in red with your new CSS code that the site has shown in the 1st box.

<style type="text/css">

Delete this text & place your CSS part of the code here.
                      </style>

The html part of the code you need to paste in a html box on the front of your bv page where you would like your menu to be. Test in preview. Good luck.
                      Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Originally posted by WSBlue View Post
                        George,
                        This technique works for all menus, including text menu? Thanks.
                        Yes.
                        Navaldesign

Comment

Originally posted by Collectors-info View Post
                          Hi, should of popped this one in the css area. On the generator part, create the code as per instructions on that site, then go to your BV page properties html area & paste the code bellow into “Between the head tag” & replace the part in red with your new CSS code that the site has shown in the 1st box.

<style type="text/css">

Delete this text & place your CSS part of the code here.
                          </style>

The html part of the code you need to paste in a html box on the front of your bv page where you would like your menu to be. Test in preview. Good luck.
                          Thanks Chris,
                          I won't get a chance to try it for another 24 hours. Can't wait to try it out. Will get back with the result as soon as I have.

I realised that I should have put it into the CSS forum a day after and then didn't ant to double up. I guess I could have deleted the post here put it across there.
                          I have just 5 hours before I have to get up for work so I better get some shut eye. Thanks again.
                          Rick

Comment

Geroge, Why your samples have all these:
                            Start of Page, Between Head Tag, Inside Body Tag, Beginning of Body, End of Body, End of Page.

Mine only show Before Tag, Inside Tag, After Tag ?

Comment

Step 5. Define and publish your page as PHP page

Repeat exactly the step 3 operations, for this page.

So we will save 2 pages; one is called menu and the other is phpmenu ?

Comment

Originally posted by WSBlue View Post
                                Geroge, Why your samples have all these:
                                Start of Page, Between Head Tag, Inside Body Tag, Beginning of Body, End of Body, End of Page.

Mine only show Before Tag, Inside Tag, After Tag ?
                                @WSBlue,

If you right click on the HTML BOX that you have inserted on your page, and you select HTML, you will see just the three as you have. But if you right click on the page outside your html box you will see all the Tags that you see in Georges examples. i.e one is html box and the other is page html.

The second question you raised. Yes you publish TWO pages. However, one is just a page with the ELEMENT, i.e your menubar and the other page is your web page (or template page) that you are placing the menu in position. (Remember, he has suggested you make the HTML box the same size as the finished menu contents so that you can see it represented (space wise) on your page where you are positioning it. (If you follow his instructions and place the generated menu into the very top left corner of the menu page, then the very top left corner of the html box you place on your webpage will be the datum position)
                                Hope that makes sense to you.
                                Cheers,
                                Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X