• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meanderer
    Major

• Aug 2007

Re: Single Menu Page with Bv and PHP

Originally posted by Collectors-info View Post
    On the generator part, create the code as per instructions on that site, then go to your BV page properties html area & paste the code bellow into “Between the head tag” & replace the part in red with your new CSS code that the site has shown in the 1st box.

<style type="text/css">

Delete this text & place your CSS part of the code here.
    </style>

The html part of the code you need to paste in a html box on the front of your bv page where you would like your menu to be. Test in preview. Good luck.
    Thanks again Chris,
    It worked a treat. I'll be fiddling around with menus for a while until I decide exactly what suits the site.
    Regards,
    Rick

Comment

• WSBlue
      Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

Originally posted by Meanderer View Post
      @WSBlue,

If you right click on the HTML BOX that you have inserted on your page, and you select HTML, you will see just the three as you have. But if you right click on the page outside your html box you will see all the Tags that you see in Georges examples. i.e one is html box and the other is page html.

The second question you raised. Yes you publish TWO pages. However, one is just a page with the ELEMENT, i.e your menubar and the other page is your web page (or template page) that you are placing the menu in position. (Remember, he has suggested you make the HTML box the same size as the finished menu contents so that you can see it represented (space wise) on your page where you are positioning it. (If you follow his instructions and place the generated menu into the very top left corner of the menu page, then the very top left corner of the html box you place on your webpage will be the datum position)
      Hope that makes sense to you.
      Cheers,
      Rick
      Hi! Meanderer,
      How do I name the web page.
      ex.
      mydomain.com ( for index page)
      mydomain.com/a.html (for other pages)
      Am I right?

And

If I have another domain, how to I name the menu page. It can't be the same, right?

Thank you.

Comment

• Meanderer
        Major

• Aug 2007

@ WSBlue,

OK, sounds like you need to do a bit of reading up but here's a further explanation.
        The subject of this thread is to create a menu element and by using a html box being able to place it on any page you construct. Then whenever you need to alter the menu you only have to go to the original element page, alter it, save it, publish it and then it will be changed in all pages of your site that call for it.
        Now, when you first create your menu, you follow George's instructions to the letter. The page that just contains the menu you name it (say) 'menu' but in the page properties you select the file type to be php when published. (NOT html). You don't use any extension when naming ....... BV does that for you with any page!
        You never have to use the name 'menu' again in any other pages. If you want the menu to show on your home page, you place the html box on that page. (html box contains the script/code for the menu.php page). When saving this NEW page, you just name it index if it's to be your home page. You can "title" your page Index in the properties box. But NEVER use a title for the 'menu' page. :- just save it as menu.
        When someone types in your domain address www.yourdomain.com it will automatically try to find the index.html OR the index.php page. So if you use this system described in George's Thread, it will be index.php. Now, if you have already had an index page named index.html you will have to delete it using file manager in your control panel and just leave the index.php file there..

If you have another domain, BV will have created another folder automatically for that other domain. Whilst you could use the name menu in the second domain folder, it's wiser to change the name slightly at least. You couldn't use the SAME menu page element because the links would different.

Hope that clears it up for you. I know what you are going through. Sometimes we gloss over a single point when reading instructions and it throws everything out and we go around in circles until someone sets us straight again :) Been there, done that! LOL
        Good Luck
        Rick

Comment

• WSBlue
          Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

Originally posted by Meanderer View Post
          @ WSBlue,

OK, sounds like you need to do a bit of reading up but here's a further explanation.
          The subject of this thread is to create a menu element and by using a html box being able to place it on any page you construct. Then whenever you need to alter the menu you only have to go to the original element page, alter it, save it, publish it and then it will be changed in all pages of your site that call for it.
          Now, when you first create your menu, you follow George's instructions to the letter. The page that just contains the menu you name it (say) 'menu' but in the page properties you select the file type to be php when published. (NOT html). You don't use any extension when naming ....... BV does that for you with any page!
          You never have to use the name 'menu' again in any other pages. If you want the menu to show on your home page, you place the html box on that page. (html box contains the script/code for the menu.php page). When saving this NEW page, you just name it index if it's to be your home page. You can "title" your page Index in the properties box. But NEVER use a title for the 'menu' page. :- just save it as menu.
          When someone types in your domain address www.yourdomain.com it will automatically try to find the index.html OR the index.php page. So if you use this system described in George's Thread, it will be index.php. Now, if you have already had an index page named index.html you will have to delete it using file manager in your control panel and just leave the index.php file there..

If you have another domain, BV will have created another folder automatically for that other domain. Whilst you could use the name menu in the second domain folder, it's wiser to change the name slightly at least. You couldn't use the SAME menu page element because the links would different.

Hope that clears it up for you. I know what you are going through. Sometimes we gloss over a single point when reading instructions and it throws everything out and we go around in circles until someone sets us straight again :) Been there, done that! LOL
          Good Luck
          Rick
          Thank you so much for your deep explaination.
          Now I got it work.
          BUT when I add something new on the menu and republish it, I don't see the new added thing in index page even in Live.
          I don't have to republish my index, do I ? Thanks again.

Comment

• Meanderer
            Major

• Aug 2007

Originally posted by WSBlue View Post
            Thank you so much for your deep explaination.
            Now I got it work.
            BUT when I add something new on the menu and republish it, I don't see the new added thing in index page even in Live.
            I don't have to republish my index, do I ? Thanks again.
            When you add something new to the menu, first you save it, then publish it. It should then show up in your other pages next time you call them up on the internet. If they don't show the changes then the problem is the cached files saved on your home computer. So first try "refreshing the page. If that doesn't so it first time, hit the F5 key repeatedly many times. That should cure it. :)
            I'm off to bed as it's almost 1:30am.
            Glad to be of help
            Rick

Comment

• WSBlue
              Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

Now is 02:00 for u . Rick. Good night.
              I am only 22 :00 here

Comment

• WSBlue
                Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

Hi! Can anyone please take a look.

http://buyindonesia.com/ ( Why it can't show the menu? At first, I got it right but don't know what I did, I make the menu disappear and have retried over and over agin but still can get it fixed.)

http://buyindonesia.com/a.html ( It can show the menu BUT when I add new thing in the menu page and save and republished it, the new thing not included?)

Please help. Thank you.

Comment

• navaldesign
                  General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

The correct pages are http://buyindonesia.com/a.php

and http://buyindonesia.com/index.php .

In your index page the menu doesn't show because it retrieves the html page (you need to delete it) and not the php. However, you also have made some other mistake because you have inserted the menu code in that page too.

The a.php page seems correct, i can't know if there are links missing.
                  Navaldesign
                  Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                  Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                  DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                  Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• WSBlue
                    Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

Originally posted by navaldesign View Post
                    The correct pages are http://buyindonesia.com/a.php

and http://buyindonesia.com/index.php .

In your index page the menu doesn't show because it retrieves the html page (you need to delete it) >Where to delete it, I did delete it at ftp but still can't get it right. and not the php. However, you also have made some other mistake because you have inserted the menu code in that page too. >where to see it and get rid of it?

The a.php page seems correct, i can't know if there are links missing.
                    Hi!
                    George,

click any above, they show
                    Fatal error: Cannot redeclare menu() (previously declared in /home/rbnwrmty/public_html/menu.php:7) in /home/rbnwrmty/public_html/menu.php on line 33
                    I ahve changed the file extension from html to php at page properties before published.
                    I have gone through almost all the whole threads but still can't get then done.
                    Regards,
                    PJR

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

It is obvious that you are making some mistake, as it sems that you have, in the main pages, the same code that re-declares the menu function. Please read again the instructions and follow them to the letter.

Regarding the html file, it now results deleted...
                      Navaldesign
                      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• WSBlue
                        Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

It is obvious that you are making some mistake, as it sems that you have, in the main pages, the same code that re-declares the menu function. Please read again the instructions and follow them to the letter.

Regarding the html file, it now results deleted...
                        George,
                        You have mail from me.
                        Regards,
                        PJR

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

Hi Philips,

i will reply later.

Thanks
                          Navaldesign

Comment

• motoxxx
                            Major

• Dec 2005

I have set up several aspects to my template (a top image, side image and a menu) and all seem to work as they should. My problem is that since I had saved these as individual images as pages and am using the PHP to recall them, when I look at the html code there are three sections for <head>, <title>, etc.....

This cannot be good for the search engines so how do I get around that?

Thanks for this incredible thread!
                            Affordable Medical Insurance
                            Discount Dental Plan
                            Washington State Health Insurance
                            Temporary Health Insurance
                            Homeowner Insurance Quote

Comment

• navaldesign

• Oct 2005

The only way ěs to manually edit the published files (download them, edit hem in Notepad, upload them again). However, if, as suggested, you do NOT name your pages, or add keywords, metatags etc, there is NO problem with SEs
                              Navaldesign

Comment

• Astro43
                                Private

• Jan 2008

Sorry, no, it can't be done because the menu also requires the relevant images and / or javascript and themes. So you need to publish the menu page in those folders.
                                Hello everyone, first post here. I am actually brand-spanking new to building web pages and programming in html, php, or anything else for that matter.

Anyhow, I am using the concepts outlined in this wonderful thread to create a page header, a few menus, along with some common images that will be used throughout the site.

It concerned me that it was not possible to organize the site pages in individual folders using this method, and I was determined to figure out a way. I hope this hasn't been covered, and if I'm saying something that is totally retarded, please tell me.

Anyhow, I created a horizontal button menu using BV. It generates a set of bv101016.gif and bv101016_over.gif files (different numbers for each obviously) for each button in the menu. Obviously using this method, those files need to be in the same folder as the .php file that calls for them. However, if you edit the HTML directly, you can specify a URL for those files, along with the mouseover and mouseout files quite easily.

Using this method, you can use that same .php file using the <?php include ($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT]."path/file.php"); file(); ?> command (I think I got that close) to enact the .php script from any folder within your site. As long as the .gif files are specified in the html as URLs, they will work. When you need to make changes, you may need to re-edit the html direclty, but that is better IMHO than re-publishing the menu in each and every folder (of which you may have many).

I did something similar with a drop-down style menu that created a .js file when published. Opening the menu.php file in notepad I edited the src = "file.js" to include the path...

src = "http//xxx.biz/file.js"

worked like a charm.

Hope this makes sense or is helpful and isn't a repeat.

Comment

Working...
                                X