X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• navaldesign
    replied
    Re: Single Menu Page with Bv and PHP

I have read that post also, but i (technically) disagree. Browsers read the code as it is created, and the code that BV creates places elements in the order they are created (unless you use the "bring infront" tool).

Leave a comment:

• Collectors-info
    replied

Hi, thanks for getting back & the info. This type of menu I will do for myself, but I will be making a site for someone & wanted to keep it very simple for them. (And me)
    But I did find a post on the way pages load on this forum & it appears that if you make the (let say) menu part that’s going into an html box, that may have an image & a bit of normal text in the same area as where the menu is going. It seems that if you place the menu on last, it will be the 1st part to load in a browser. So! if the html box with this menu is also the last to be placed on the mother page, the theory is that it will be the 1st part to load???????
    I have tried this & it appears to be right, as I haven’t had the problem since.
    Just not sure if this is technically correct or true or I have just got lucky for a short wile.

Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• navaldesign
    replied

No Chris,

This is something that happens even with simple BV pages, if (usually) the page has already some heavy content, and the connection timesout before the button images are loaded.

I also had this problem sometimes. I also disliked the delay in button mouseover and mouseout effects. Solution: CSS text based menu. Fast and Furious (hehe)

Leave a comment:

• Collectors-info
    replied

Hi Naval, everything is great with the php pages, but one small thing I can’t seem to solve using .php pages. I use the BV’s Menu bar, but on a few pages I seem to have problems with the menu part of the link loading? Everything that is on the same link loads IE: the images & other text, but quite often have to hit the refresh button a few times to get the menu to show up. Could it be anything to do with java side of things? Or do you think it could even be the java at my end.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• AWS
    replied

Naval Design is a php genius!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Dori
    replied

You are the best Naval.... thanks! I will generate the menu bar through CSS and then install using your php guidelines!

Leave a comment:

• navaldesign
    replied

Dori,

the php menu has many advantages over the Iframe solution, with first in the list the fact that it is SE friendly.

More over, i suggest that the menubar is a CSS one, because it's MUCH faster (has the same speed as BV's drop down menus) whilst classic BV menubars are slow (they need to load the single button images) and more SE friendly because they are text based, so SE spiders can spot the links to the other pages.

yes, you can create the CSS menubar, then either place it directly in the page, or use the method described here. This method has the advantage that you only create ONE menubar, which is then implemented in all your pages. This way, if you have to update your menubar, you simply change the menubar page and all your pages are automatically updated.

Leave a comment:

• Dori
    replied

Originally posted by navaldesign
    No problem at all. Furtermore, i suggest that you use a CSS text based menu both in the home page as well as for the php menu include page. This way, all your internal links will be available to SE spiders imediately.
    Naval... I think I am just getting more confused with the more I read.

I am dumping the beautiful menu I made with the iFrame tutorial and will now be implementing the PHP single menu page.

Question: If I use the CSS menu generator that you list in this forum, can I use that as my menu and insert the code on the blank page instead of creating a menu bar before I continue on with the rest of this tutorial?
    Does that make sense? To reiterate; can I replace CSS menu language for the BV menu bar and continue to set up my menu page with PHP?
    Inquiring minds want to know!
    thanks

Leave a comment:

• Dori
    replied

)#(*$)@(#&@)(*
    I was so proud of myself... Naval! I followed all of your instructions on adding a menu bar in iFrames (it worked beautifully by the way) and now I see this. What is a girl to do???
    Can you please tell me what the benefits and differences are between iframe menu bar and php, in a nutshell please?
    thank you

Leave a comment:

• CarbonTerry
    replied
    Re-Post

Hi
    I just wiped out all redundant files in my public_html folder. There were 900 or so files in there that didn't need to be.
    I used a new piece of software to generate a web gallery for www.zone5pix.com
    It creates .htm files. I put those pages into an iframe because I wanted to add some information pages (links, about, contact) and published as an html file.
    Will there be a problem trying to use this method on an htm file?
    Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Bethers
    replied

I third what's been said. And, since your navigation changes with your various pages, you wouldn't be gaining by doing it.

Leave a comment:

• navaldesign
    replied

Originally posted by Andy128
    scubadiver-
    Having looked at your site- I would say probably not. Reason: you don't have that many pages and changes to any or all would not take up much time/effort. This method is really useful if you have many, many pages.

Cheers-

Andy
    I agree with Andy. If you have say 10 - 15 pages, having separate control over each page, is better and easy enough.

Leave a comment:

• Andy128
    replied

scubadiver-
    Having looked at your site- I would say probably not. Reason: you don't have that many pages and changes to any or all would not take up much time/effort. This method is really useful if you have many, many pages.

Cheers-

Andy

Leave a comment:

• scubadiver
    replied

Since I just finished my website, maybe I should change over to php. Would that be better for my situation?

Leave a comment:

• beebrothers
    replied

i i captian!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X