• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Single Menu Page with Bv and PHP

Veeeery good! Thanks Chris!
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Ok, I believe I am ready for Bethers and Naval's heads to come together for this one:

I have been tearing code apart for like weeks working on some various types of login scripts and methods. At the same time, I'm getting lost in all the slices, templates, diagrams, pdf's, notes, and images, and scripts, OH MY!!!

oOh. sorry. Anyway, this login script does everything on the same page, so to speak, well here is the login.php file:

<?php

include($DOCUMENT_ROOT.'/include/database.php');
      include($DOCUMENT_ROOT.'/include/pre.php');
      include($DOCUMENT_ROOT.'/include/user.php');

if (user_isloggedin()) {
      user_logout();
      $user_name='';
      }

if ($submit) {
      user_login($user_name,$password);
      }

site_header('Login to GraphXntrix.com');

if ($feedback) {
      echo '<FONT COLOR="RED"><H2>'.$feedback.'</H2></FONT>';
      }

echo '<H3>Login To GraphXntrix.com</H3>
      <P>
      Enter your user name and password and we\'ll set a cookie so we know you\'re logged in.
      <P>
      <FORM ACTION="'. $PHP_SELF .'" METHOD="POST">
      <B>User Name:</B><BR>
      <INPUT TYPE="TEXT" NAME="user_name" VALUE="" SIZE="10" MAXLENGTH="15">
      <P>
      <B>Password:</B><BR>
      <INPUT TYPE="password" NAME="password" VALUE="" SIZE="10" MAXLENGTH="15">
      <P>
      <INPUT TYPE="SUBMIT" NAME="submit" VALUE="Login To GrapXntrix.com">
      </FORM>
      <P>
      <A HREF="register.php">[ Register A New Account ]</A>
      <P>
      <A HREF="changepass.php">[ Change Your Password ]</A>
      <P>
      <A HREF="changeemail.php">[ Change Your Email Address ]</A>';

site_footer();

?>

I have made a 5 piece "template" that I will be using(not published yet, still in .bvp format):

header
      site_left
      site_content
      site_right
      footer
      ***these together are exactly 800x600, and the site_content is the center
      I wanted to use the base image I used to make my "header", coincidentally called "site_header", but the script displays text as the site_header. What would I need to do to easily meld with this script and its flow. When it comes to code, H1, H2,etc and forms....well booga booga.

echo' -->help me out on this please. I so badly want to say that I grasp this, yet I honestly fall short.

If you need to know more let me know, I could use a little guidance.

Anyone, feel free to shed some thoughts on how I can use bluevoda forms and this script to make it work.
      Robert
      www.GraphXntrix.com
      Your Visual Revolution Solution

Comment

Robert,
        While waiting for Naval the php god- perhaps take a walk over to -
        http://programmingtalk.com/ I find the people there very friendly and always ready to assist. Simply join with a user name and set password and then click on php and post your question.

I have gotten lost of help there too. Make sure to use the php quote thing to make it eaiser for them to read the code. It works like the quote thing on this thread.

Just a thought.

Andy
        PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Robert, you need a login script based on a database ? If yes, please let me also know if the username and password are going to be retreived from a database table that also contains other information, or if this is going to be a standalone.
          Navaldesign
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thank you Naval for this GREAT tip! I have changed all my pages to use the php for my nav bar except for my index page. I'm not sure what to do there. Can I just save my index page as index.php or does it need to be index.html? Right now, I am still using my old nav bar on my index page and just updated it to point to the other php pages. But all of my other pages have the updated php nav bar. Do I need to save my index as another page, i.e. home.php and then use my index.html for where my url points. Ok...I probably don't know what in the world I'm talking about here, but I'm confused at this point. Any help would be appreciated.
            Cindy Smentowski

Comment

Today i have had a very important confirmation: Google has indexed my example page, and the page in the cache is in http://72.14.221.104/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&cd=50

The text only version of the cache is in http://72.14.221.104/search?q=cache:...it&lr=&strip=1

As you can see, in the text only version of the cache, Google HAS INCLUDED THE LINKS of the example menu. What does this mean ?

It means that a menubar, either made in BV (as the one i have used in my exaple) or through a text based CSS styled enu, even if included in the page from an external source (as in the example), can be spidered by SE. So, ALL of your links will be found and spidered.

So, if your menubar is text based CSS or BV's menu bar, it is perfectly ok for SE. ATTENTION: This is not valid for dropdown menus: they CANNOT be spidered. If you need to use a dropdown for functional reasons, i advise to include in your pages also a text based footer menu (like the one VH has in it's own pages, at the bottom.

As for the index page: if your ranking is low, so you have nothing to loose changing it to php in order to take advantage of this trick, then i reccomend doing so. If, instead you have a high rank, with the existing page, you'd better leave it as it is, because changing it could affect your ranking, though i have doubts. You see, when SE rank your homepage, they DO NOT rank your "index" page as "index.html", but they rank WHICHEVER page they find to be by default coming up when they visit www.yourdomain.com . So, changing from html to php should NOT affect your ranking. However, i have no evidence of this, so i cannot take the responsibility to suggest one rather the other
              Navaldesign

Comment

Great confirmation above Naval!! Thank you.

Since my website is new and low ranking, I am going to change it to index.php. I don't have the same issue as Beth does, however, I am going to also change my nav bars to CSS. I figure I might as well try and do it all GREAT the 1st time! Thanks again!
                Cindy Smentowski

Comment

I don't mind changing two pages - the php and the index page - and I'm constantly making changed on my index pages anyway- what with different holidays, specials, etc. So, I'll keep that html

Now, if only I had enough hours in a day to get this site finished and moved!
                  Beth
                  A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                  SEO - The Basics

Comment

Originally posted by Robert
                    Ok, I believe I am ready for Bethers and Naval's heads to come together for this one:

I have been tearing code apart for like weeks working on some various types of login scripts and methods. At the same time, I'm getting lost in all the slices, templates, diagrams, pdf's, notes, and images, and scripts, OH MY!!!

oOh. sorry. Anyway, this login script does everything on the same page, so to speak, well here is the login.php file:

<?php

include($DOCUMENT_ROOT.'/include/database.php');
                    include($DOCUMENT_ROOT.'/include/pre.php');
                    include($DOCUMENT_ROOT.'/include/user.php');

if (user_isloggedin()) {
                    user_logout();
                    $user_name='';
                    }

if ($submit) {
                    user_login($user_name,$password);
                    }

site_header('Login to GraphXntrix.com');

if ($feedback) {
                    echo '<FONT COLOR="RED"><H2>'.$feedback.'</H2></FONT>';
                    }

echo '<H3>Login To GraphXntrix.com</H3>
                    <P>
                    Enter your user name and password and we\'ll set a cookie so we know you\'re logged in.
                    <P>
                    <FORM ACTION="'. $PHP_SELF .'" METHOD="POST">
                    <B>User Name:</B><BR>
                    <INPUT TYPE="TEXT" NAME="user_name" VALUE="" SIZE="10" MAXLENGTH="15">
                    <P>
                    <B>Password:</B><BR>
                    <INPUT TYPE="password" NAME="password" VALUE="" SIZE="10" MAXLENGTH="15">
                    <P>
                    <INPUT TYPE="SUBMIT" NAME="submit" VALUE="Login To GrapXntrix.com">
                    </FORM>
                    <P>
                    <A HREF="register.php">[ Register A New Account ]</A>
                    <P>
                    <A HREF="changepass.php">[ Change Your Password ]</A>
                    <P>
                    <A HREF="changeemail.php">[ Change Your Email Address ]</A>';

site_footer();

?>

I have made a 5 piece "template" that I will be using(not published yet, still in .bvp format):

header
                    site_left
                    site_content
                    site_right
                    footer
                    ***these together are exactly 800x600, and the site_content is the center
                    I wanted to use the base image I used to make my "header", coincidentally called "site_header", but the script displays text as the site_header. What would I need to do to easily meld with this script and its flow. When it comes to code, H1, H2,etc and forms....well booga booga.

echo' -->help me out on this please. I so badly want to say that I grasp this, yet I honestly fall short.

If you need to know more let me know, I could use a little guidance.

Anyone, feel free to shed some thoughts on how I can use bluevoda forms and this script to make it work.
                    Sorry but i don't understand. site_header() is a function, to include your header on the page. It simply tells the script, to retreive and place in the page, whatever code there is in the function definition (which is not here, you should look for it (in other words, place it) in one of the include pages.

So i don't see how it can interfere with your header (image). Also, i don't understand why you have placed the value site_header('Login to GraphXntrix.com') unless the site_header() function can only include some text as site header .

Usually the site_header() function (or header() or whatever else you want to call it) is intended for includin not a simple text header, but a piece of html code which could be your actual header.
                    Navaldesign

Comment

Oh, ok. the fact that it was a function threw me off, now I understand.

The includes define most of the functions, yes. here is where the site header is .. from the include/pre.php

<?php

function site_header($title) {
                      echo '<HEAD><TITLE>'.$title.'</TITLE></HEAD><BODY>';
                      }

function site_footer() {

}

?>

Alot of this script makes use of "echo" and the function "$feedback" to display various error messages. I guess what I was asking was...

how would i make my custom header and footer, which are images, fit correctly into this script?

I am thinking that I could use an html box sized and positioned on my site_header image and put in it the "$title" and give the image the "function site_header". But I am not sure what else may need to be done.

thanks naval
                      Robert
                      www.GraphXntrix.com

Comment

also, using BlueVoda, if I wanted to control the layout of the output more of this script, would pasting the script into html boxes positioned where I want them work? Of course, I am thinking that I would have to do this with all the php pages used in the entire process, correct?
                        Robert
                        www.GraphXntrix.com

Comment

Robert,

you sould
                          1. define your own "site_header" function and also, if you like, "site_footer" function.

to do this, create in BV a page with only the header image. In the page html, include in the start of page, "<?" and in the "End of page "?>". Set the page extension to be php. Publish the page in the include folder of your script (Attention: needs to be there, or it will not work) as "header.php". That's all. Now, change the definition of the site_header function, in the appropriate file, to be:

<?php

function site_header() {
                          include ("header.php");
                          }

function site_footer() {
                          include (("footer.php");
                          }

?>

That's all.

This very thread explains how you do it. It is a bit different though, beacuse here i have also defined the function within the html page, because i am including in a html page, instead of a php page like yours.
                          Navaldesign

Comment

hmm. I think I understand what I would need to do to have the header included as well as creating the functions. I just noticed that I missed one of your posts, naval, and the answer is yes, the username and password are being checked against a database. it uses a lot of "echo" when validating alot of information against the db to either display error or success messages.

I changed my site's header. right now it's not actually a header, but you can get the idea. here is the image i wanted to use. I also want to use an identical of this image to use with the menu,

Robert
                            www.GraphXntrix.com

Comment

Hi,
                              is there a way of making the html 2nd part transparent?
                              I have tried the way the we did the iframe lesson, but no joy.
                              This is the page I am practising on http://www.collectors-info.com/index3.php
                              There is a blue stamp in front & a bear behind. (No that wasn’t a joke)
                              Wasn’t sure if it could be done?

Thanks
                              Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

For everyone's information - something about my header isn't liked in this method for a store I'm moving over - and because of it - NONE of my pages could be seen. I kept being told to wait for it to "propagate". Well, I said, it could be seen ONCE and never again. I finally went into my logs and discovered their was a "fatal error" in the header. Was using this method for my header, nav bar and footer. Turns out when I deleted the header and put it in on the page, everything cleared. Now, I'm having to go through all my pages and do this.

No idea what it doesn't like about my header - but obviously it didn't like something. LOL
                                Beth
                                A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                                SEO - The Basics

Comment

Working...
                                X