Contact Form data e-mailing to me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contact Form data e-mailing to me?

Using BV, I created a Contact page and it is now online at www.jhwm.net/contact.html (I set it up to have info from the contact form e-mailed to me).

As soon as I saw the page appear "live," I filled in the fields with "fake" contact info and hit the send button. Seems like nothing happened: no click sound from my PC, no popup confirming the info had been sent, and the fields on the form did not "clear." Plus, when I checked the e-mail address that the data should have gone to, there was no message.

Do I need to do something else to get the data from the form e-mailed to me?

Re: Contact Form data e-mailing to me?

no it should have sent you an email, did you do what was in the b.v video tutorials when setting up the form?
    The get vasili to join our forum campaign has begun

www.thatgoodsite.com and our forum of fun also starring my hero vasili
    Weve got movies,arcade,radio,T.V,chat,music,funny vids,jokes and lots and lots of fun for free

Comment

Jim-

To properly collect and submit data from the form- it is highly recommened that you use the php mailto method. You will find a complete tutorial here.

http://netisopen.com/computer/TF001/T001.html

Once you have a firm grasp of how that works- you might want to graduate to the next level of form data collection and try this method which produces a form that prevents form mis-use and form hijacking from spammers:
      http://www.netisopen.com/computer/TF001/phpmailto.html

Cheers-
      Andy
      PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Thanks, Andy (and allstar). I just spent the morning reading the "beginner" tutorial on php mailto, adjusting my Contact page accordingly and creating a new thankyou page with the php script added to the "Inside Body Tag" tab under View > Page HTML. I also set max # of characters for each field in the form.

I believe I've followed every instruction precisely for both pages, but when I go to my Contact page on the web and complete the form, there's still no response: no audible click, no transfer to the thankyou page, and no e-mail at the address I specified in the php script.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

Comment

Please post here the php code that you have pasted in the inside body tag of your page html
          Navaldesign
          Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Here's the code I inserted into my "thankyou.bvp" page. FYI, "jim@jhwm.net" is a correct, working e-mail address:

<script language="php">
            $email = $HTTP_POST_VARS[email];
            $mailto = "jim@jhwm.net";
            $mailsubj = "Contact from JHWM web site";
            $mailhead = "From: $email\n";
            reset ($HTTP_POST_VARS);
            $mailbody = "Values submitted from web site form:\n";
            while (list ($key, $val) = each ($HTTP_POST_VARS)) { $mailbody .= "$key : $val\n"; }
            if (!eregi("\n",$HTTP_POST_VARS[email])) { mail($mailto, $mailsubj, $mailbody, $mailhead); }
            </script>

Comment

Ok, there is some confusion here. please read again the BlueVoda Form Tutorial 1, which explains things very well. Please read the text UNDER the multimedia presentation.
              Now let's start with your problems (Please, first read the text in the above tutorial)

1. You must create a Thankyou ( or confirmation or whatever you want to call it) page. Save it on your computer as "action"
              2. Delete the php script from the form page. It is useless here.
              3. If the Thankyou page is called "action" then you need to set the form action in "action.php" . Save and republish the form page.
              4. Now, paste the php code in the Inside Body Tag of your "action" page. Set, in page properties the extension when published to be .php, save and publish.

Now you should be ok.

Please note that you have some blank spaces (text) very low in your page andthat makes your page very long.
              Navaldesign
              Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
              DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
              Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Jim-
                Navaldesign is refering to the tutorial by Blue Voda which can be found here.
                http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/for...-part-1-a.html

Basically- mine and that one say the same thing only they call the page action while I call it thankyou. Each will have a php extension and each had the php code inside the body tag.

You have put the script in the page that contains the form. The thankyou or action page is going to be a seperate page. There is where you will put the script inside the body tag.

Andy
                PHP- is a blast!

Comment

OK, good news:

I followed your instructions, Andy and Naval, and my contact page www.jhwm.net/contact.html now jumps to my thankyou page when the submit button is clicked at the bottom of the form on the contact page. Just a couple of minor oddities remain:

1) On both the contact page and the thankyou page, I went to Page Properties and specified that the page depth should be either 550 or 600 px. But on the web these pages' depths are much more than that. Why?

2) Also, see the attached screenshot of my thankyou page. It shows the last line of text underlined. But on the web this text is not underlined. ???

P.S.--Andy, I will look into your "advanced" instructions to make my contact page form more hacker-and-spammer resistant. THANKS!
                  Attached Files

Comment

See the last line in post #7 on this same thread: you have blank (so, not visible) spaces in the very bottom of your page. Enable Object Outlines in BV and you will be able to see and delete them. Don't know about the underlining: could it be an older version: try republishing. In your page code, it doesn't result underlined.
                    Navaldesign

Comment

Thanks--I went into BV and I enabled Object Outlines on both my contact and thank you pages, but I don't see how I can delete blank spaces. On the thankyou.bvp page there is no vertical scroll bar, so it seems impossible to delete anything other than the few objects on the page. And contact.bvp has a scroll bar which allows only very little scrolling. What do I do?

Also, in the last 48 hours or so, when I look at these pages the web, I am getting (frequently) an Internet Explorer Script Error box asking me "Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?" with Yes or No buttons at the bottom. Not sure whether that's my browser acting up or a BV problem.

Comment

Hi . . . anyone want to sound off on the questions in my 9/3 post? Thanks.

Comment

The script message is due to the javascript for the sound. As for the blank spaces, temporarily increase in Page Properties your page Height, so you can scroll and find the blanck spaces. After deletion. readjust your page height.
                          Navaldesign

Comment

Thanks, I removed the blank spaces on my contact page and now it looks right. Just one other problem:

The title for my contact page appears correctly on the web, but the one for my thankyou page doesn't. It should appear as "Thank you for contacting JH Writing & Marketing Services" but instead I get the same title as on my contact page: "Contact JH Writing & Marketing Services now!"

Also, re the script error messages: If I simply delete the sound file from the nav bar properties on all my pages, could I expect the error messages to go away? I ask because right now I get NO sound when I put the cursor over any of my nav buttons on any of my pages. THANKS.

Comment

The title for my contact page appears correctly on the web, but the one for my thankyou page doesn't. It should appear as "Thank you for contacting JH Writing & Marketing Services" but instead I get the same title as on my contact page: "Contact JH Writing & Marketing Services now!"
                              Check it again. It is in your code, so it must be mistaken.

Also, re the script error messages: If I simply delete the sound file from the nav bar properties on all my pages, could I expect the error messages to go away? I ask because right now I get NO sound when I put the cursor over any of my nav buttons on any of my pages.
                              Yes, the ActiveX warning will disappear.
                              Navaldesign

Comment

Working...
                              X