Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some examples of "Events" on Editbox fields

A big Hello to everyone watching this forum, specially to the moderators,

Can someone post here some use examples of the "Events" tab on the editbox ?

My instinct is telling me there must be wonderful things that we can make with those tab options but my lack of formation (I am a self-taught person), prevents me from fully using this option and I would like to use it.

Thanks in advance,
    pipesportugal

Re: Some examples of "Events" on Editbox fields

An event is something that is happening in your web page. usually, it is a user action, like a mouseover, mousedown, a click or a double click, a change in the value of a field, the pressing of a key, the focusing on a field, etc. However, the event itself only verifies a condition, it then needs to trigger a function that will do something, like a form validation, or displaying something that was initially hidden, or viceversa Hide something, or any other thing that can be done by a (usually) Javascript function.

Classic examples:

onLoad and onUnload: you MUST have seen many sites where, when you first load the homepage, a popup opens (usually an advertisement)
    Many times this happens also when you close (onUnload) the page.

Example of OnKeyUp: The Google autosuggest feature in their search bar. While you type, a httpRequest object in the page sends to Googgle what you have typed, letter by letter. Google returns back possible suggestions that then appear in a window just underneath, from the user to select from. Have also a look at http://www.discountwoodblinds.co.uk/dbts_cart/order.php

an order form i built using Ajax to be able to select the price depending on user info.

Classic example of Onchange event: dependent dropdowns, used in Carts and search engines. When you select a value for the Category dropdown, the second one (Subcategories) is automatically populated with the values relevant to the first (classic example: a Cars database, where the first drop down is for make, the second for model, or a Country / state / city relationship etc) .When the value of the Category dropdown changes, a Ajax script (Ajax is Javascript based) queries the database and returns back the values of the subcategories).

Have a look at this example:http://www.dbtechnosystems.com/Tips/form20.html . If you select "Other" from the "How did you hear about us" drodown, a field to fill in this other option will display.

Online Order forms: usually a on KeyUp or a onChange event associated with the Quantity fields, triggers a routine that will recalculate the totals. HAve a look at this http://www.ladyprad aconsultants.net..._order_12.html (eliminate the white space after "ladyprad")

OnSubmit: a classic example, used for form validation

Please note that This is all based on Javascript. Infact, events take place in your own computer.

The internet has already changed, and goes on changing, the interactivity between user and site REQUIRES rich applications, and there will be no way in the future to build a rich site without Ajax (which means without Javascript)
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

I think you've helped a lot of folks in addition to piesportugal with this post, George. Very clear and useful explanation.

Thank you....
      Ken

If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys. Orson Wells

Comment

I totally agree with sedona words and I totaly agree with navaldesign about the ajax/java part.

Can You tell me if "blur" is the same as "loose focus"?

I have a line in an invoicing system where after "loosing focus" event, on the "product reference" field, I would like to go retrieve from the database/table the Description of the product/Unit.price/vat/etc,etc

Thanks in advance,
        pipesportugal

Comment

I want to make an Onchange event: when a customer make a choice from the drop down menu it will show
          4 other boxes. But I donīt know how to do that. Can sombody please show me how.

Thank you

Comment

It is not that simple in BV. Because BV doesn't support the visibility: hidden attribute.

In other words it requires coding the editboxes, placing the code in a html box (so you don't actually use BV editboxes) and setting their visibility to hidden. Then you associate a onChange event to your dropdown, which will trigger a Show event . Have a look at this example and look at the code : http://www.dbtechnosystems.com/Tips/form20.html

Select "Other" in the How did you find us dropdown to see how it works.
            Navaldesign
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign View Post
              It is not that simple in BV. Because BV doesn't support the visibility: hidden attribute.

In other words it requires coding the editboxes, placing the code in a html box (so you don't actually use BV editboxes) and setting their visibility to hidden. Then you associate a onChange event to your dropdown, which will trigger a Show event . Have a look at this example and look at the code : http://www.dbtechnosystems.com/Tips/form20.html

Select "Other" in the How did you find us dropdown to see how it works.
              Yes, that is what I need. Will the html code work with the ABVFP form, or do I have to use a html form? And I donīt know
              how to make the html code, can you show me how to make the html code that will make it possible.

Thanks in advance

Comment

I suggested that you look at the code of the example i posted, to see how this can be done. If you have no Javascript and html coding experience, it is useless "showing" you, with Javascript, even a dot or a comma out of place would cause it NOT to work. So Ii would need to write the code for you, which would require too much time on my side, exceeding the help i can provide on a free basis in this forum.
                Navaldesign

Comment

I have a form on one of my BV pages and when the user mouses over the first editbox ("Your Name"), I just want a little box to pop up (like alt-text) with a brief text message.

To do this, I assume I should go into the Editbox Properties > "Events" tab > "Add" button and in the Event dropdown, select "onMouseover" and for Action, select "Show". But the "Target" field has me totally baffled: none of the dropdown options seems to be what I need.

Sorry to be taking up anyone's valuable time with this question, but the video tutorial about Editing Forms says nothing at all about the "Events" tab in BV forms. Would really help if it included info on how to use "Events."

Comment

Working...
                  X