Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forms/success/error pages

Greetings!

Today I updated a page on my website www.anvildancer.com. It was a simple contact form from a template. I changed my hyperlinks to this page on the rest of my pages to "/contact.php." That was a big help because when I did that the page displayed properly as well as linked properly. Then I tried to actually send myself a message. It says in the tutorials that I had to create two other pages, a success page, and a error page, which I did. I have been having difficulty getting the contact page to work. I tried to send myself a message and I received a "page not found error," and the message did not show up in my email. I saved the success/error pages as contactsuccess.bvp and contacterror.bvp. I linked on the form prorperties success/error fields as http://www.anvildancer.com/contactsuccess.html and http//:www.anvildancer.com/contacterror.html repectfully. I am obviously not doing something correctly. Your thoughts.

Re: Forms/success/error pages

You save the pages as you do any other just the name, no extentions. So your pages should be saved as success and error respectfully. (based upon the forms made in BV. Be sure the URL's in the form properties match they should say /success.html and /error.html if not change them to that.
    Reguards
    Ed
    www.dsondesigns.com
    www.marseillesyouthsports.com
    www.300hitter.com
    www.bigjk.net
    How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

I will do that, but the reason that I used the extensions was to be able to deliniate in the future a success page for example from PayPal from a success page from my contact page. Does this make any sense or am I putting the (shopping)cart before the horse?

Comment

You can name the success or error pages as you like as long as you enter them at the bottom of the properties box where it shows success and error examples and post them to the same folder as the main form.
        Have fun
        Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
        Newbies / Beginners Forum
        FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
        My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
        Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Regretfully, It seems I have not put together the correct combination of Urls or something. I have checked, rechecked, and uploaded all the changes and still get a "page not found" error. I am just not getting it. The messages are showing up in my email though. That is an improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by anvildancer View Post
            I will do that, but the reason that I used the extensions was to be able to deliniate in the future a success page for example from PayPal from a success page from my contact page. Does this make any sense or am I putting the (shopping)cart before the horse?
            As I said you can not add extentions to file names when saving them. As David said you can name them as you like (success, thankyou, success1) as long as the form properties URL's match for each.
            Reguards
            Ed
            www.dsondesigns.com
            www.300hitter.com
            www.bigjk.net

Comment

You guys are a patient bunch dealing with rookies such as myself. So far all is good except I keep getting "page not found" errors. I have eliminated any extensions. Actually I really do not know what an extention is truthfully. I changed the page names to "success," and "error." I then went into properties on the form template and changed the Urls in the success/error fields to match the name changes. Then I republished the changes and I am still getting "page not found." I am sure you are as frustrated with me as I am with myself. Your thoughts

Comment

In the properties since you changed them you need to have it in the right format. It should be /success.html in your success URL box and /error.html in the error URL box. Save and republish
                Reguards
                Ed
                www.dsondesigns.com
                www.300hitter.com
                www.bigjk.net

Comment

Thanx guys. Must be a technical problem. that is the exact way I have it to the letter. I turne in a CSTicket.

David

Comment

Its not a technical problem it is your links that do not work, when I clicked your submit button it tries to find this page:

Can you spot the problem?.........the www.anvildancer.com is repeated. this will cause the 404 error. Now when you saved the success page are you sure you "saved as" success only,spelled the same and no spaces and republished? If a 404 error comes up then that means that it can not find the page where you are telling it to look (could be speeling, spaces, capital letters, repeated parts, anything) so the first thing to do is to look in you c-pannel/file manager for the page, click on it and copy the name exactly as it appears. Then double check your links. Also unless a page has a form on it (or you change the file type, it save as a html). So I would say you have to look harder at your pages and links.
                    Reguards
                    Ed
                    www.dsondesigns.com
                    www.300hitter.com
                    www.bigjk.net

Comment

Just do a quick test for me please, as there is some confusion here.

just name and save a new page as
                      test
                      with "success" written on it and publish it.

then double click on your form, and at the bottom type in

test.html (nothing else)

save and publish your form page with the .php extension
                      (VIEW - PAGE PROPERTIES - FILE EXTENSION BOX - change to php)

Test your form now and it should find your success page.
                      Have fun
                      Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
                      Newbies / Beginners Forum
                      FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
                      My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
                      Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

I successfully created a new page s directed. I named it "test"

Then I proceeded to the contact page and double clicked on the form and all it gives me is the properties box. Should I be entering "test.html" as a hidden field? That is the only place that the Prop box gives me to put in any text.

Comment

P.T.L. Brother! I finally got it! The problem as I perceive it was that in the success/error fields, I had put in the entire Url. So what was entered into those fields was www.anvildancer.com/success.html, which is the correct url for the page, and for "error" the same thing respectively. Actually, those fields already assume the domain and all that you need to enter is the ./success.html.

With most of the links I have worked with so far I have had to enter the entire url. Thank you for your persistance with your responses. You just have to keep pluggin' away at it, and with your help I was able to figure it out. Having to use the entire url in some cases and part of it in others for a newby is confusing. A difficult lesson to learn.

Comment

Working...
                          X