• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jodlen
    Private First Class

• Feb 2011

Form Issue: 404 Error

Hi
    Form does not seem to be (via submit botton) linking to my congrats page or the error page., Although my congrats page (php) seems to work fine and the error page seems to work (via congrats)
    When form is filled out and the submit botton is clicked this is what I get;

You don't have permission to access /.http://www.seethecolors.com/congrats.php on this server.
    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Please help - i know its probably some small stupid mistake, but I am bug eyed right now and just can not seem to find it.

Sincerely
    Len
  • Vasili

• Mar 2006

Re: Form issue

Originally posted by jodlen View Post
    Form does not seem to be (via submit botton) linking to my congrats page or the error page., Although my congrats page (php) seems to work fine and the error page seems to work (via congrats)
    When form is filled out and the submit botton is clicked this is what I get;
    You don't have permission to access /.http://www.seethecolors.com/congrats.php on this server.
    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    You are not following the Tutorial closely: you have created and published your pages as "reverse types" ...

1. Your "Contact Us" page, just as any page that has a Form on it (email, etc.) needs to saved and published as ".php" in order for the Form to function. Change how the page is published in Page Properties (right-click on page, or VIEW > PAGE PROPERTIES from Toolbar) and select "Page Extension = PHP"

2. You need to change the hyperlinks on your site to reflect the proper page: change http://www.seethecolors.com/contact_us.html >> to >> http://www.seethecolors.com/contact_us.php

3. Your "Success" page needs to change/edited and published as ".html" for your FORM to function (example: http://www.seethecolors.com/success.html) and not as "php" as you have done. Change how the page is published in Page Properties (right-click on page, or VIEW > PAGE PROPERTIES from Toolbar) and select "Page Extension = HTML"
    Additionally, be sure you have properly listed this SUCCESS URL in FORM PROPERTIES once corrected so it can "be found."
    *Using the informal and abbreviated word "congrats" instead of the proper universal word "success" is an obvious break in site continuity and relevance, and should be changed back. Be sure to also include "success" or "successful" in your Page Title - which is done in Page Properties (not the same as Page Name, which is how you Save your page in Blue Voda) to something like "Successful Email Communication Submission to SeeTheColors.com" as this adds to overall site relevancy, and can actually appear in Search Results for those looking to contact you.

4. Be sure you have selected the proper METHOD TO POST: as "Multi-Part Form Data" in FORM PROPERTIES.

5. Be sure every element is within the margins of your FORM for them to function, especially any SEND button or CAPTCHA tool.

6. Providing you properly created an email account in cPanel on this domain, you still need to 'customize' the Form Properties to send the data to the correct email address: In Form Properties is the default email address "yourname@yourdomain.com" which you must change to reflect the exact email address you created: for example reception@seethecolors.com

7. Use BueFTP from within Blue Voda to delete from the server the previously improperly created "Contact" and "Congrats" pages so they do not create a conflict with the new pages. You will see these pages to delete in your public_html/ directory on the heirarchy screen in BlueFTP clearly, but you should review the "Using BlueFTP Tutorial" before connecting for the first time.

8. Re-PUBLISH all pages only after all these corrections are made (including previous page deletion).

These steps are clearly outlined in bold blue text on the Tutorial Page, as well as in the Video Tutorial itself.

Remember to follow the Tutorials precisely (you can always "Pause" the Tutorial to implement steps immediately, or write them down for reference), and to first Search the Forums to find the same "issue" previously addressed in various manners that allow you to choose one that uses Terms and steps you are comfortable with without having to wait for a reply!
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• jodlen
      Private First Class

• Feb 2011

Re: Form Issue: 404 Error

Hi
      I understand - sticking to recognized protocol so as not to confuse the server. - Thanks for that
      The congrats page - which will be changed to success page, has a paypal botton - that is why i used php rather than html.
      The contact page is published as a php, seeing as it has a form.
      I am guessing that the real problem is with name protocols - as you suggested -

thank you
      Len

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by jodlen View Post
        Hi
        I understand - sticking to recognized protocol so as not to confuse the server. - Thanks for that
        The congrats page - which will be changed to success page, has a paypal botton - that is why i used php rather than html.
        The contact page is published as a php, seeing as it has a form.
        I am guessing that the real problem is with name protocols - as you suggested -thank you
        Len
        The type in which a page is published does not depend on what is on the page, but how the page is meant to function: adding a PayPal "button" on your page is done by pasting code into a BV HTML Box, correct? This is all that is required to "contain" the code upon the page to allow it to function, not the page type!

Glad you picked up on the basic logic that compels us to design web pages as if we were back in Math Class: no shortcuts or interpretations allowed!
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• navaldesign
          General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

Error and success pages can be either .html or PHP.

the .php extension is necessary if you embedd php code in the page.

As long as you provide the correct page name in the built in form processor properties, it will work fine.
          Navaldesign
          Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• jodlen
            Private First Class

• Feb 2011

Thanks guys - Its a lot to take in and then implement and have everything work right. I really appreciate all the help.

Sincerely
            Len

Comment

Working...
            X