Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

multiple links navigating to bookmarks in target I-frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multiple links navigating to bookmarks in target I-frame?

okay, I can't seem to put screw my head back after attempting to compile pieces of info from around the forums and the web...here is my scenario that i want to tryout:
    ****Lets assume the I-Frame I'm using is 350 x 120pix*****

one I-Frame with starting URL set to a single page

this page(inside I-Frame) will be 350 x 1200pix

--i want to divide this page equally to the size of the I-Frame using bookmarks:

this would be 10 vertical areas of 350 x 120 with each area to have its own bookmark.

----I DO NOT want to use scrollbars or border...maybe border. =)
    How do I get a link from my main page, when clicked, target a bookmarked area of the page in the I-Frame and show it in it's same frame.

theory is that i want to make some universal pages with some content that is displayed only using links and iframe on one page AND THE OTHER CONTENT shown using links and iframe on a different page...make sense?

can a page navigate to a bookmark horizontally? <--next question

Any insight into this situation will be greatly appreciated, it is my roadblock for now.
    Robert
    www.GraphXntrix.com
    Your Visual Revolution Solution

Re: multiple links navigating to bookmarks in target I-frame?

1. Yes, you can: have a look at: http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/blu...html#post17508
    2. I have tried it and it works, but you have to play a little with the horizontal position of the bookmark. In the above example, i have placed the bookmark for the red background blue cube, to the RIGHT of the cube, because i found out that when you want to navigate horizontally, the browser moves as little as necessary to include the bookmark in the frame..
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

First:

NAVAL!!! Thank you so much! That demonstration was exactly what I needed to see. I searched forever trying to find a such a post, and that one was from Feb. I don't know how I missed it so long ago, or why this has been boggling me(most likely I'm focusing on too many complex things to see the simplicity). I am definitely more of a visual learner than anything else. Some ?'s though: for these questions, assume I DO NOT want to use scrollbars or borders for the I-frame...

--I would like to know just how is the bookmark focused upon within the iframe?
      *for the example, if i wanted the cube you mentioned(red background,blue cube) to be focused upon with its left side close to the left side of the iframe, would I have to place bookmark to the right of cube just under the width of iframe?

--in other words, what would be taken under consideration when placing these bookmarks?

If you don't mind, could you tell me how I could've have searched more effectively for that post you replied with? I tried lots of combos for iframes, bookmarks, linking to bookmarks, etc.. and only found info barely coming close to my situation, or no results at all. I like the page you showed me..it is the most direct explanation, AND DEMONSTRATION I've come across.
      Robert
      www.GraphXntrix.com

Comment

Scrollbars are not necessary. I had the example with the scrollbars, and i simply left it like that.
        Q1. Vertical scrolling: it would be enough to make the bookmark, the same dimensions as your i frame. This, forces the browser, to include the bookmark area entirely in the iframe, as long as the vertical dimension is concerned. Your content, should be positioned in relation to the bookmark.
        Q2. Horizontal positioning is not that accurate. The browser focuses on the bookmark. But if the bookmark is on the right part of your pages, it only focuses as little as required to include a SMALL part of the bookmark. So you actually need to place the bookmark, almost completely to the right of the object. See again the page in the example, i have placed lime rectangles, for the right row of cubes, which show the position and the dimensions of the bookmarks. With only a little play around, you will be able to find the required position of the bookmark, for the correct placement of the objects.

remember: make the bookmarks same size as your I frame.
        Navaldesign
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Also, when searching only for "bookmarks" the post shows up, but not in combination with "iframes" or "target"
          Navaldesign

Comment

Awesome, thanks!

But, still confused about that page you mentioned about lime rectangles..this page?:

--the horizontal bookmarks are the cyan rectangles, right??

For some reason I am still boggled. Are you saying if all the bookmarks were vertical, then simply make them same size as iframe and keep the content being bookmarked within the dimensions of the bookmark, and the iframe will simply center on the bookmark?

But the I-Frame doesn't do this when it has to move to the right?

OHHHHH!!!!! I think I understand ....so if say my I-frame is 350 x120pix and i have a page thats 700 x 1200 that will have two columns of 350 x 120pix sections(10sections on left, 10 on the right) are you saying that for one of my 350 x 120 sections on the right to show up close to centered within the I-Frame, the left edge of the bookmark for it needs to be flush against the right edge of the section i want centered, ALSO bookmark needs to be same size as I-Frame...

Therefore, the iframe page would actually have to be 1050 x 1200( to accomodate all 20 sections and the right-side bookmarks?
            Robert
            www.GraphXntrix.com

Comment

But, still confused about that page you mentioned about lime rectangles..this page?:

http://www.navaldesign.info/Tips/product.html

Yes, that's the one. The left column bookmarks are made excactly the same size as the images. The right column bookmarks are made the same size, but positioned to the right of the image, in fact i have placed the lime rectangles just to show you where the bookmarks are.

--the horizontal bookmarks are the cyan rectangles, right??

There is one bookmark for every image. the right column ones are excactly above the images. I don't understand what you mean with "horizontal bookmarks".

For some reason I am still boggled. Are you saying if all the bookmarks were vertical, then simply make them same size as iframe and keep the content being bookmarked within the dimensions of the bookmark, and the iframe will simply center on the bookmark?

Excactly.

But the I-Frame doesn't do this when it has to move to the right?

Yes, it doesn't. It just focuses to the right that little (- - 4 pixels) that is enough to just make appear a small part of the bookmark. That's why i placed the right column bookmarks to the RIGHT of the right column images.

OHHHHH!!!!! I think I understand ....so if say my I-frame is 350 x120pix and i have a page thats 700 x 1200 that will have two columns of 350 x 120pix sections(10sections on left, 10 on the right) are you saying that for one of my 350 x 120 sections on the right to show up close to centered within the I-Frame, the left edge of the bookmark for it needs to be flush against the right edge of the section i want centered, ALSO bookmark needs to be same size as I-Frame...

Yes. But it becomes simpler if you use 20 bookmarks, all placed in one column.

Therefore, the iframe page would actually have to be 1050 x 1200( to accomodate all 20 sections and the right-side bookmarks?

Excactly: or say 350 + 100 of void space between columns + 350 for right column + 350 for right column bookmarks = 1150

However, if this is not a directly accessible page, just make them all vertical and it becomes much simpler.
              Navaldesign

Comment

Perfect, I understand.

Onelast question:

if i were to have more than two columns, say 3-4, would I simply apply the same rules of the right column to each following column?
                Robert
                www.GraphXntrix.com

Comment

I guess so. I have not tried it.
                  Navaldesign

Comment

Working...
                  X