• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leeza
    First Lieutenant

• May 2006

Published- links not working

Hi all,
    My questions will never end, lol. I have just published all my pages and over half (bottom half) won't link. I checked all for .html tags and those appear right. I read in another forum something about publishing to "public_html....I see nothing re: public on my page ppties page...can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Any help, you know I appreciate you!

colourtherapyspa.com

(p.s. I know the site needs lots of work-color, style etc. but just wanted to get it up there...now to all the tweaking and that optimizing!

Leeza
  • allstarfaces
    Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

Re: Published- links not working

try posting a link so we can see for our selves
    The get vasili to join our forum campaign has begun

www.thatgoodsite.com and our forum of fun also starring my hero vasili
    Weve got movies,arcade,radio,T.V,chat,music,funny vids,jokes and lots and lots of fun for free

Comment

• LadyEye
      General & Forum Moderator

• Jun 2006

Originally posted by Leeza
      Hi all,
      My questions will never end, lol. I have just published all my pages and over half (bottom half) won't link. I checked all for .html tags and those appear right. I read in another forum something about publishing to "public_html....I see nothing re: public on my page ppties page...can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Any help, you know I appreciate you!

colourtherapyspa.com

(p.s. I know the site needs lots of work-color, style etc. but just wanted to get it up there...now to all the tweaking and that optimizing!

Leeza
      Leeza

When you publish any page from your blue voda web builder you will be publishing to public_html unless you changed it ... When you go to publish take notice of the pop up box that comes up, there you will notice your ip publishing address and public_html ...

I believe you are not linking to the same name that you have called, saved, and published your page ....

all of this must be the same ... you then recall the page or call up the url (link) via http://www.colourtherapyspa.com/nameofpage.html

you do not add the .html when saving or publishing, blue voda does this automatically for you ...

you will need to check all the names of how you saved your pages and edit where necesssary ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• LadyEye

• Jun 2006

Hi again Leeza the www. is missing from this link .... actually the page still doesn't work though ....

I'll keep seeing what I can find for you ...

same here

a n extra . in this one

So I think between naming your pages and then applying the proper url to the link is what is happening .....

Name pages - all small letter no spaces, or if you do use a space use _ like you have ....

recall by the same using the .html at the end ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• Leeza
          First Lieutenant

• May 2006

THanks for the quick replies...

Are you saying that what I saved the page as must be the same name as what is written e.g. on index?

e.g. I have a page called healing chakra jewelry listed as a menu item on indes (but I haven't worked with the page properties boxes much yet..so it isn't listed as a title (should it be there?) When I want to open the BV page it is called chakra jewelry. In the link box on index page I wrote http://colourtherapyspa.com/jewelry.html

Please don't laugh at me, but is this what is all supposed to be the same? Should all say "healing chakra jewelry?" (I can do that! "Healing chakra jewelry" everywhere....but in the link box it is my understanding that I have to put an underline between the words- I wouldn't do that on customer-visible pages, would I? )

And aha, I do see my IP address and "public html" when I click to publish my page. Thanks for pointing that out to me! The only time I've added .html is in the link page after the page name.

I haven't figured out what 'target" and "bookmark" are there on link page for yet...am I supposed to put something in those fields?

Merci...

Leeza

Comment

• LadyEye

• Jun 2006

THanks for the quick replies...

Are you saying that what I saved the page as must be the same name as what is written e.g. on index?

Yes .... on a page that you make, you choose the name, other than your very first page which must be called index, saved as index, published as index and recalled via the internet when you type in your domain name. All the rest of the pages can be named by your choice. But ... if you call it grapes, it must be saved as grapes, must be published as grapes and then is recalled via the internet like this http://www.colourtherapyspa.com/grapes.html

e.g. I have a page called healing chakra jewelry listed as a menu item on indes (but I haven't worked with the page properties boxes much yet..so it isn't listed as a title (should it be there?) When I want to open the BV page it is called chakra jewelry. In the link box on index page I wrote http://colourtherapyspa.com/jewelry.html

The page properties box is used for different things. The title you see in there, you can type the title of your page, call it anything you want, it is totally different from what you are saving, publishing and recalling your page by .... It is the title you will see appear when you are viewing the page, you will notice this on the bottom of your computer screen, that will be where your title shows up, not the internet address that you will notice at the top of your computer monitor...

Please don't laugh at me, but is this what is all supposed to be the same?

Not laughing, (chuckling though, lol) Things that need to be the same ...
            the name by which you saved your .bvp file, (that is the file that is made when you make a page in the web builder), you must publish this as the exact name and you retrieve it via the exact name, except, to retireve it you must use the .html - you do not use this when you make and save or publish you page, voda does this for you ... but to retrieve it or link it you must ...

Should all say "healing chakra jewelry?" (I can do that! "Healing chakra jewelry" everywhere....but in the link box it is my understanding that I have to put an underline between the words- I wouldn't do that on customer-visible pages, would I? )

You can choose to use the _ or not ... you can write your words like this .... chakra_jewelry or chakrajewelry .... not much difference, your choice ... just no spaces or capital letters ....

No, the title of your pages might be all different, for instance if you have jewellry selections, that page could be titled jewellry selections, if your page is about relaxing techniques for spas, title that page as such ... this title part is the part on your page properties only, not what you call and save and publish as your page remember...

And aha, I do see my IP address and "public html" when I click to publish my page. Thanks for pointing that out to me! The only time I've added .html is in the link page after the page name.

yes this is when you add the .html when you are typing in the link that you are inserting to the button, navigation bar or even an image that you are linking to ......

I haven't figured out what 'target" and "bookmark" are there on link page for yet...am I supposed to put something in those fields?

Target .... leave this empty if you are linking everything to your site ... if you for instance were sending the viewers to someone elses site via a link from your site, you might consider using _blank, this will then open another page on their computer and when they close that page, your site is still on their computer - in technical terms - it opens another window ...
            Merci...

Leeza

You are welcome!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• Leeza
              First Lieutenant

• May 2006

ok- chuckling is acceptable, I can handle that even tho I'm terrrrribly sensitive. lol, I'm doing it myself, if I didn't, I'd go mad. (And I even forgive myself for all the nonsense I write and all the mistakes I make- after all, this IS my very first website!!)

I THINK I understand what you're saying Holly, so I will go back (after I nap-been up all night and these eyes just refuse to stay open any longer) and change the words so they match everywhere and see if that works. It probably IS the problem, as the first four or five menu items on the index ARE working and were pretty cut and dry as to what they should be named across the board. I was of course an accident that I named them properly!

I'll let you know in a couple/three hours how I fared. Thanks much for your help!!!

Comment

• LadyEye

• Jun 2006

ok- chuckling is acceptable, I can handle that even tho I'm terrrrribly sensitive. lol, I'm doing it myself, if I didn't, I'd go mad. (And I even forgive myself for all the nonsense I write and all the mistakes I make- after all, this IS my very first website!!)

I THINK I understand what you're saying Holly, so I will go back (after I nap-been up all night and these eyes just refuse to stay open any longer) and change the words so they match everywhere and see if that works. It probably IS the problem, as the first four or five menu items on the index ARE working and were pretty cut and dry as to what they should be named across the board. I was of course an accident that I named them properly!

I'll let you know in a couple/three hours how I fared. Thanks much for your help!!!

yw Leeza .... you are doing great ... it is alot to remember, and yes, you did most of your pages correctly, and it can become confusing ... I have total faith in you in finding and fixing up and it will become old hat to you ....

You are doing gr888888888ttt .... and I only chuckle because I believe we were all right where you are!! Glad I can help!!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• Bethers
                  Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

Just one comment - the TITLE is not the same as the name of the page and you do NOT have to nor want the title to be the same.

The name of the page is what you save it as - and what you use to do the url. The title has nothing to do with that.

I know Holly said this, but wanted to make sure that you didn't confuse naming the pages with the titles!

Simply put - whatever you save the page as - is the extension for that page - as Holly, with no spaces and no caps.
                  Beth
                  A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                  SEO - The Basics

Comment

• Leeza
                    First Lieutenant

• May 2006

Ok ladies...you are awesome btw...
                    today I woke up to look at my site and even MORE pages won't open!
                    Would you please take a look and see what else may be wrong?

I'll tell you how I saved those that won't open:

beauty_body_bath.html
                    aromatherapy_essential_oils.html
                    chakra_blends_specialty_sets.html
                    healing_chakra_jewelry.html
                    cds_books_tapes.html
                    full_spectrum_lighting.html
                    all_occasion_gifts.html

of course http://www.colourtherapyspa.com before these ...

Now, I thought you've told me the way the pages read (like on index) is how I must write them in the linking ...but I saved the profile page just as profile.html, not using the whole colour_personality_profile phrase, and guess what! THAT page DOES link! What the heck am I doing!!!! grrrrrr....

thanks in advance once again..hey, have a HAPPY DAY!
                    Leeza

Comment

• Leeza
                      First Lieutenant

• May 2006

ALSO..(cont. from thread above)...e.g. beauty, body, bath page...I set all to a specific text color, double checked it again and again...and as published some lines of text are showing burgundy and some showing blue as I want them to. clues?

Comment

• LadyEye

• Jun 2006

Ok ladies...you are awesome btw...
                        today I woke up to look at my site and even MORE pages won't open!
                        Would you please take a look and see what else may be wrong?

I'll tell you how I saved those that won't open:

beauty_body_bath.html
                        aromatherapy_essential_oils.html
                        chakra_blends_specialty_sets.html
                        healing_chakra_jewelry.html
                        cds_books_tapes.html
                        full_spectrum_lighting.html
                        all_occasion_gifts.html

of course http://www.colourtherapyspa.com before these ...

Now, I thought you've told me the way the pages read (like on index) is how I must write them in the linking ...but I saved the profile page just as profile.html, not using the whole colour_personality_profile phrase, and guess what! THAT page DOES link! What the heck am I doing!!!! grrrrrr....

thanks in advance once again..hey, have a HAPPY DAY!
                        Leeza

Okay Leeze

When you make a page and save it ... you only save by it's name ... do not add your domain name ...(http://etc.) and do not add .html

Save only by its name .... example beauty_body_bath

That is it ......

VODA AUTOMATICALLY ADDS THE .html AND PUBLISHING THIS TO YOUR public_html automatically goes to your domain name http://www.colourtherapyspa.com - these two things are not done by YOU!

To retrieve or link to it from a word, or navigation bar, or image .... when inserting tghe link, you insert the full url .... example ....

http://www.colourtherapyspa.com/beauty_body_bath.html

DO NOT SAVE YOUR PAGES WITH .HTML AT THE END OF IT ....
                        SAVE AS THE NAME ONLY

I'll go see about your colour on your pages and report back .... lol

TITLE OF PAGES IS DIFFERENT ... TITLE OF PAGES THAT YOU ADD IN THE POP UP BOX OF YOUR PAGE PROPERTIES IS FOR REFERENCE ONLY, FOR SEARCH ENGINES, NOTHING TO DO WITH SAVING AND RECALLING YOUR PAGES .....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• LadyEye

• Jun 2006

Do you mean because some words that you have linked are burgandy and some are blue? Is that the way you want it? Or not? On page properties, you can change the colours to your links. under Background ... Link ... Visited Link and something else, I forget, but you will see the three categories for color choices of the link there ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• LadyEye

• Jun 2006

Originally posted by LadyEye
                            http://www.colourtherapyspa.com/aromatherapy.html

from this page ... when you click home ... your link does not work ...

you have two o's incoloour <------ .... you need to fix this ....
                            ok

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• Leeza
                              First Lieutenant

• May 2006

Hi- thanks for noticing, I just fixed that one. Another very strange thing...I tried to click on aromatherapy from index page and it would NOT come up...said 404 error...how come it comes up sometimes and not others?

And hmmm...I didn't know you could go to my links and see how I set them up???? (sure glad you can tho, whatever magic you're using!!)

Comment

Working...
                              X