Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening a page in a new window

Hi all,

my site is diet and weightloss - www.flabfallsoff.com and hosted by Voda...

My question has to do with opening a URL in a new window... in BV in the Edit Hyperlink box, it gives you the option to do this (according to the tutorial)... only thing is that I dont see WHICH one opens in a new window? The 'target' has the drop down items, namely blank; self; parent; or top.

Which of these is it? Parent? And what do the others stand for? Let's say it's Parent. Do you just select that and it automatically makes the new URL open in a new window? (I would guess, duh... lol)

Also (while we're at it, lol) what does BOOKMARK (below it) stand for?

Thanks in advance!

Will
    A manual to help small-business owners . http://www.entrepreneurshipz.com

Re: Opening a page in a new window

_blank: will open in a new full size window.
    _parent: only used for links inside a popup, to make open the new link in the window that has generated the popup.
    _top: opens the link in whichever window is the top one.
    _self: opens in the same window.
    By default, _self is used if you don't specify.

The bookmark dropdown stands for selecting to link to a bookmark (anchor) instead of an external (out of the page) link. If you have placed one or more bookmarks in your page, these will appear in this dropdown, and you will be able to select from. Usefull for creating FAQ type pages, or links to a specific part of the same or even of another page.
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Hey Naval,

tks ... it's clearer now. Some of the stuff may still require a bit of explanation but the main thing is that I need to specify 'blank' in this particular case. Tell you what I'm doing: trying to create a resources page with lots of articles in it. So if a person clicks on a link that will take them to a sep. page with an article in it, I would think it's better to take them to a completely new window, rather than the same page that they have to click the back button on. Coz, what if they're going to look at a bunch of pages/articles? It will tick them off to keep on going back and back, they'd rather read the article, kill the screen, then go back to the page and select another article.

Or what say you? My logic standing up? lol.

tks again

Will

Comment

Will, your logic is correct.

When linking to an outside source you want to use _blank.
        Beth
        A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
        SEO - The Basics

Comment

For this kind of links, i.e. FAQ --> answers, Tech questions --> help file, etc. i use popups and bookmarks. I create i.e. a long page with all the answers. Beside every answer, i place a "Close Window" button, and on top of the answer i place a bookmark. So, i link the question text to the bookmark, opening the answer file in the popup.
          Navaldesign
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Hey Bethers & Naval,

tks for this... when I get to a FAQ scenario I might think I would do what I see quite often - that is the questions one underneath the other, and the answers way underneath. So it's all one long page... but you have a hyperlink/hyperjump thingy that if you click on a question it jumps you to the answer on the SAME page... that would work better for me.... lol :-

Oh, nuther question... also hyperlink related... as I said be4, trying to create a big Resources page, but I cant seem to get the pages that I've created in BV to show on my actual webpage. The links are fairly complex and the NOMENCLATURE is reaaaaaly complex... lol.

It goes like this: I was trying that technique of onsite optimising, so even in one's BV pages, you would name them with keywords that you want. So, instead of "disclaimer", now in BV it's "weightloss-stories-disclaimer". The BIG page tho is Resources, which is now "weightloss-stories-resources". ON that page now is a welcome blurb, and 4 hyperlinks: Weightloss; Diet; Nutrition; and Health. So each of these gets a similar hyperlink like "resources-weightloss" etc. (at last I tried to cut down on the verbiage, lol)

Then IN each new page, for eg. weightloss, I am now building an archive of articles with various titles. So one is called "resources-weightloss-tummyfatgoodthing" ...

HOWEVER, when I created all these hyperlinks and published the pages (I didnt publish all but published some to see if the links worked) - it DIDNT work. Ie, if I go to the Resources page on my website, it shows the old info and text, not the updated.

So i'm missing something simple here. One or more of the links is not in place.

Could any of you helpful ppl shed some light on this??

Tks in advance!

PS for the other qu. re new windows... I would think that you would use _self UNTIL you got to the actual articles page, and THEN use _blank? My reasoning is that the person is following the yellow brick road (lol) from the home page to your Resources page to the, say, Weightloss page, to the articles. Once IN the articles page they will want to open and kill, otherwise if finished with the articles in the Weightloss section, they would rather then click the back button back to the Resources page, and then click on, say, Nutrition, and _blank to a specific article? This make any sense? Tks!

Will

Comment

Bethers & Naval,

tks for this... when I get to a FAQ scenario I might think I would do what I see quite often - that is the questions one underneath the other, and the answers way underneath. So it's all one long page... but you have a hyperlink/hyperjump thingy that if you click on a question it jumps you to the answer on the SAME page... that would work better for me.... lol :-

Its the same. It works with bookmarks as well.

Oh, nuther question... also hyperlink related... as I said be4, trying to create a big Resources page, but I cant seem to get the pages that I've created in BV to show on my actual webpage. The links are fairly complex and the NOMENCLATURE is reaaaaaly complex... lol.

if they don't link, it is usually a spelling issue, or a .html missing or a typo.

It goes like this: I was trying that technique of onsite optimising, so even in one's BV pages, you would name them with keywords that you want. So, instead of "disclaimer", now in BV it's "weightloss-stories-disclaimer". The BIG page tho is Resources, which is now "weightloss-stories-resources". ON that page now is a welcome blurb, and 4 hyperlinks: Weightloss; Diet; Nutrition; and Health. So each of these gets a similar hyperlink like "resources-weightloss" etc. (at last I tried to cut down on the verbiage, lol)

Then IN each new page, for eg. weightloss, I am now building an archive of articles with various titles. So one is called "resources-weightloss-tummyfatgoodthing" ...

HOWEVER, when I created all these hyperlinks and published the pages (I didnt publish all but published some to see if the links worked) - it DIDNT work. Ie, if I go to the Resources page on my website, it shows the old info and text, not the updated.

Could be simply your browser cacheing. Refresh by hitting F5 some times. If it doesn't work, make a forum search for "browser chacheing" and you will find ots os posts with solutions. Unless your links are linking to the old pages and not to the new ones.

So i'm missing something simple here. One or more of the links is not in place.

To check it out, we need a list with the actual pages.

Could any of you helpful ppl shed some light on this??

Tks in advance!

PS for the other qu. re new windows... I would think that you would use _self UNTIL you got to the actual articles page, and THEN use _blank? My reasoning is that the person is following the yellow brick road (lol) from the home page to your Resources page to the, say, Weightloss page, to the articles. Once IN the articles page they will want to open and kill, otherwise if finished with the articles in the Weightloss section, they would rather then click the back button back to the Resources page, and then click on, say, Nutrition, and _blank to a specific article? This make any sense? Tks!

Rather complicated, but yes, the logic is correct. They click on a resource link, and a new page opens with that resource. As soon as they have finished reading, thy close it and they are still in the original page, where they can click on another resource link and so on.

As keywords are concerned, Beth is by far more qualified than me to answer
              Navaldesign

Comment

Hey Naval,

tks for this! I hit F5 and as promised, my Resources page (the updated one) came up! so that was gr8.

But then in drilling down further, the other pages didnt come up. Be4 I go off and try cacheing etc, I thought I'd give you the page I'm trying to call up, which is not coming up (I dont think the problem has to do with typos, I was quite careful in doing that):

www.flabfallsoff.com/weightloss-stories-resources/resources-weightloss.html

Interpreted (lol) this is: home/resources/weightloss area [there are 3 other areas IN resources, one of which is weightloss] - then clicking on the weightloss area IN resources should bring up a bunch of articles, with that subject. But it doesnt go past the weightloss area, ie the resources page comes up but not the weightloss button... comes up with 404 not found...

Oh, here's the same path off my BV:

http://www.flabfallsoff.com/weightlo...eightloss.html

Ooops... didnt come out all there but if you mouse over it and compare, it will show the same as the URL lifted off the website.

Does this shed any light? Any solutions :-

PS tks for your post too, Bethers...

Tks!

Will

Comment

The page is in http://www.flabfallsoff.com/resources-weightloss.html

You have published the page in public_html but you have linked it as if it were in a folder called "weightloss-stories-resources" inside your public_html folder.

Edit your link to be www.flabfallsoff.com/resources-weightloss.html and you will be ok.
                  Navaldesign

Comment

Hey Naval,

did it! Mucho thanks ... done in my best Italian accent... lol :-

I was starting to get reaaaly bogged down in that, but I guess no matter what the page, even if it's at the bottom of a whole MINESHAFT of pages (lol), it's always www.home.com/pageyouwant.html? I was thinking the tutorial said you have to put in the WHOLE PATH... but I guess they meant, don't exclude ".html"!?

I'm starting to get bogged down in the complexities of how my pages are named. I dont want to start RENAMING them now for simplicity's sake coz I may set off another series of problems... lol ... but what say you? How does one strike a balance between simplicity AND onsite keywords optimising? Bethers & Moto: you got any commente on this? :-

Anyway, the pages are coming up on the site, with a bit of help (I guess it will be fine when the browser recaches etc)

Tks!

Will

Comment

Hey Bethers & Naval,

howz it going? Just resurrecting an old post ... lol - just wanted to make sure about one's links and whether to use _blank or leave them to default as _self.

I dont think I explained things properly in previous posts: so if I am linking to a completely DIFFERENT site, say Dr. Ben Kim's health site, THEN I use _blank so it opens in a new window?

But if it's a link to, say, an article INSIDE MY page ... then it's to open in the same window? Ie, _self?

I think this is what U guys were driving at but I obfuscated the issue, lol.

Thanks,

Will

Comment

Working...
                      X