• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Karen Mac
    General

• Apr 2006

Re: Hyperlinking Text

Beth is right, the SE care less what you name your page except for the relevancy of what you have on it. You dont type INDEX stuff on it anyway.. Index is so when u type in www.yoursite.com the domain server grabs it and shows it and typically index is your home page.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• Tygra
      Second Lieutenant

• Jan 2007

Originally posted by Bethers
      yes you need the dashes. All you need to do is not have the spaces I put in. You can always navigate to my moxie enterprises link and use the link there to email me if that will work better for you.
      Well Beth I typed your address in correctly, are you sure you did not recieve it? My real name is Scott and I was using "yousendit.com" to send it to you, perhaps you missed it or something.

Comment

• Mook25
        Brigadier General

• Oct 2005

Mook - se's could care less if you name the page index or not - that's just for the way the html is set up for publishing.
        Sorry Bethers. it was a hard day at the office and brain had stopped working i think. lol
        Arcade Ninja - Free Flash Arcade
        FreeGadget4me.Com - Learn how to get free gadgets delivered direct to your door for free

Comment

• LadyEye
          General & Forum Moderator

• Jun 2006

Originally posted by Tygra
          Thanks for all your help LadyEye, when you say the index page, do you mean the very first page that you would create?

I tried republishing with what you said "click here", but still the hand does not show up when you go over the link.

Tygra - yes - the very first page that you create, the page that you would like people to come to when they type in your url
          which is http://www.interspeciesconflictvideos.com

Go into your blue voda web builder, and find that very first page and open it again, then save that page as index, publish it as index and then we will be able to click on your url and see your very first page ... as it is now you still have not made that happen ...

You do not add anything else to this page for publishing .... only name, save and publish as index

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• Tygra
            Second Lieutenant

• Jan 2007

I dont understand that LadyEye, you say you cant see my main page, but you can see my main page by going here..http://www.interspeciesconflictvideo...ictvideos.html

Also, like I said when you try to rename the page it says the page might be unsuable.

Comment

• Bethers
              Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

Tygra - one last chance - I'm getting many emails a day to that account - but never got yours - so try going to another account - if this one doesn't come in - I give up:
              customercare @ pinatapalace.com

Send it to that from the same account you say you've been using and I'll be on the watch for it.

It's very hard for us to help you when you can't even understand that your main page needs to be named index - nothing else -
              Beth
              A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
              SEO - The Basics

Comment

• LadyEye

• Jun 2006

Okay Tygra

Let's hope it is simply that you are not understanding, because to be honest with you, with all the help myself, Bethers and Mook have provided for you you are still not getting it ... Please read through this entirely, I am hoping to make you understand.

Your domain name is interspeciesconflictvideos.com

It is hoped or your intentions should be that Users on the internet looking for videos that match your descriptions will be drawn to your website by your domain name ...

The address for your domain name is http://www.interspeciesconflictvideos.com

Now if you click on that link, you will see nothing but page files ....
                do that now - click on that link I just typed there ...

Now what do you see, do you see just text showing the names of your files? That is what I see ... Do you want people that may visit your website to see that? I will answer that question - NO, you do not.

To eliminate that page from being seen when someone types in their address bar, your domain name, or is directed to your site from another source, YOU NEED TO NAME, SAVE AND PUBLISH A MAIN PAGE AS
                index

Now if you are having problems with changing that main page ....

Please simply make another .....

Name it, Save it, Publish it as index

You have not yet applied the proper technique to the words you wish to link.

To link text to a certain other page ... you must highlight the text, go to insert, insert link, be certain the box says http://www.interspeciesconflictvideos.com/page2.html

and then save it and republish that page ....

THIS WILL WORK ONLY IF YOU FOLLOW THROUGH WITH ALL OF THE ABOVE.

BE CERTAIN YOU ARE PUBLISHING TO YOUR IP ADDRESS, WITH YOUR CORRECT USERNAME AND PASSWORD AND TO THE DIRECTORY public_html

One more thing - the reason we can see the other page is because you have published it correctly and that page is named, saved and published as interspeciesconflictvideospage2

Nothing else, simply has been named, saved and published as interspeciesconflictvideospage2

I believe perhaps this is where you are going wrong ... you are using the name interspeciesconflictvideos in your page naming .... you do not have to do that ... that is your domain name ... you do use those words when applying links, but not when naming, saving and publishing your page ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• Bethers

• Feb 2006

Well done, Holly!
                  Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                  SEO - The Basics

Comment

• LadyEye

• Jun 2006

Well done, Holly!
                    ty Beth, I guess we were both in there together, but I notice you are not getting any emails from Tygra ... I am not sure Tygra is reading our answers completely ... let's hope this gets Tygra on line properly and with the linking solved ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• Tygra
                      Second Lieutenant

• Jan 2007

Right, I have saved my page as "index". I did get what you were saying, I just could'nt understand how the links for movie 1, movie 2 etc were working with the way I was doing things, and the one for the text was not. Anyway, thankyou so much for all your help.

Comment

• LadyEye

• Jun 2006

[quote=Tygra]Right, I have saved my page as "index". I did get what you were saying, I just could'nt understand how the links for movie 1, movie 2 etc were working with the way I was doing things, and the one for the text was not. Anyway, thankyou so much for all your help.[/quote]

Tygra .... Great Job!! I see your index page ...

Now in answer to your last question, the one highlighted in red above.

The reason the links for movie 1, movie 2 work differently that the text link is it is a different style of navigation, navigation meaning directory to and from all of your other pages. Tex or nav bar ... inserting the links for these two different syles requires a different method ...

For the nav bar ... you double click the buttons you have selected, which by the way, here are many styles to choose from in it's drop down menu)
                        and the pop up box comes up automatically for you ...

With Text Linking - you need to actually perform another step, and that step starting with 1) highlighting the word, go to your top menu bar and choose insert, then you will choose link, and there you will see the pop up box, which is actually larger, for you to type in the address or commonly known as the url for the page ....

Now you might be able to try that linking again, your index page is now showing, good job

You should also read the post made here by Mook about the size adjustments needed on your pages ... Mook offers solid advice to listen to there.

You'll see there is so much to learn as you go with Voda, if you are like the rest of us, you'll be making changes steady, great fun though!!

Glad you are getting it sorted!! I know it makes us all happy!!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• Tygra
                          Second Lieutenant

• Jan 2007

Sorry LadyEye, the hand is still not showing up when going over the text, and i've typed the link it correctly, as I have said before I type in the url bar http://www.interspeciesconflictvideos.com/page2.html

Also, I dont see what's wrong with my page measurements, the bar at the bottom only goes along about 1 cm extra.

EDIT: I think I know why you are saying about my measurements, I am using a higher screen resolution.

Comment

• larazovich
                            General

• Jul 2006

Your page width should be somewhere between 800 and 1000, so that the most possible viewers can look at your site without having to sidescroll.
                            Liz
                            www.sebastopolparty.com
                            www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

• Tygra
                              Second Lieutenant

• Jan 2007

Beth, I have sent you an email again, but silly me I forgot I could give you a link to download my index page.

Hightail Spaces lets you send unlimited files, of any size, to anyone. Collaborate with your team and evolve your work.

Comment

• Bethers

• Feb 2006

I got this email and emailed you back twice. I figured out why I probably didn't get the others - as they were from yousendit and looked like total spam - I probably deleted them - without looking at them further until you told me you sent through there.

And for everyone to know - he can't highlight that text, because he's putting in BANNERS which are IMAGES, not text in TEXT ELEMENTS.

So - we've all been right and you need to make changes and use text if you want it to become links and for search engines to see it.
                                Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                                SEO - The Basics

Comment

Working...
                                X