• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LadyEye
    General & Forum Moderator

• Jun 2006

Re: Linking assistance

Okay, this is the page you have named, saved and published correctly ...

You see the above address, that is the link that needs to be applied to the navigation menu from your main index page ...

This page is published on the internet, I can view it ....

You have instead linked it as http://www.dollyscreams.com/dolls/jaymee.html

You see you are adding dolls to this link, remove dolls and link as http://www.dollyscreams.com/jaymee.html

Or if you wanted to use the link http://www.dollyscreams.com/dolls/jaymee.html

Then you would have to make a folder within public_html called dolls and then you would publish to public_html/dolls

Easier to just stick with public_html and removing dolls from the link ... see what I mean??

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• Shaymee_Shai
      Corporal

• Apr 2007

when ive published a page already such as my index and need to change sometihng do i merely republish it?

Comment

• LadyEye

• Jun 2006

Originally posted by Shaymee_Shai
        when ive published a page already such as my index and need to change sometihng do i merely republish it?
        Yes, now I believe you are putting this altogether. You are going to be very successful with all of this ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• Shaymee_Shai
          Corporal

• Apr 2007

omg you are amazing it worked! thankyou so much!!
          no one could have made me understand that like you did!!!! im beginging to understand this stuff!!! THANKYOU SO MUCH! if i have any more trouble ill make sure i come to you :D

Comment

• LadyEye

• Jun 2006

Originally posted by Shaymee_Shai
            omg you are amazing it worked! thankyou so much!!
            no one could have made me understand that like you did!!!! im beginging to understand this stuff!!! THANKYOU SO MUCH! if i have any more trouble ill make sure i come to you :D
            Shaymee .... I am very proud of you!!! Way to go ... now you have a busy day!! Glad you have it sorted ... I'll have a look later on and see how you are mastering the plan!!

A big congrats to you - and you are more than welcome!!

P.S.

I always liked trouble, lol, at least that's what my dad used to say, ha ha!!

Have a great one!!

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• aconstas1
              Lieutenant Colonel

• Mar 2007

Yay LadyEye Saves the Day! I was sleeping, but glad to read this thread and yes Im also proud of you. You came a long way last night as i slept.

Only had a couple of comments that you may consider...

Originally posted by LadyEye
              All other pages than the index page can have the unique name that you give them, keeping in mind the names need to be all small letters, no capitals or symbols, and no spaces unless the words in the name are joined together by the use of the _ underscore key.
              It is ok to use Capitals and you can also space words with a - key.

You should have all links to all of your pages on everyone of your pages.
              In other words, if your site contains 5 pages, all 5 links should appear on all 5 pages.
              Somtimes you dont actually want all your pages to link to all others. This can adversely affect the Google Page Rank of your main page. If you do this, your whole site will share the PR evenly distributed, but there are alternative methods of linking to your home page so that your home page or another important page can have a higher portion of the PR.

I hope this helps.

Well DONE to both of you for making it through this one!
              Best Regards,
              Alex
              Surveillance Systems
              Restaurant POS | Retail POS
              Free WoW Gold Guide

Comment

• LadyEye

• Jun 2006

Quality guidelines
                These quality guidelines cover the most common forms of deceptive or manipulative behavior, but Google may respond negatively to other misleading practices not listed here (e.g. tricking users by registering misspellings of well-known websites). It's not safe to assume that just because a specific deceptive technique isn't included on this page, Google approves of it. Webmasters who spend their energies upholding the spirit of the basic principles will provide a much better user experience and subsequently enjoy better ranking than those who spend their time looking for loopholes they can exploit.
                If you believe that another site is abusing Google's quality guidelines, please report that site at http://www. google.com/contact/spamreport.html. Google prefers developing scalable and automated solutions to problems, so we attempt to minimize hand-to-hand spam fighting. The spam reports we receive are used to create scalable algorithms that recognize and block future spam attempts.
                Quality guidelines - basic principles
                • Make pages for users, not for search engines. Don't deceive your users or present different content to search engines than you display to users, which is commonly referred to as "cloaking."
                • Avoid tricks intended to improve search engine rankings. A good rule of thumb is whether you'd feel comfortable explaining what you've done to a website that competes with you. Another useful test is to ask, "Does this help my users? Would I do this if search engines didn't exist?"
                • Don't participate in link schemes designed to increase your site's ranking or PageRank. In particular, avoid links to web spammers or "bad neighborhoods" on the web, as your own ranking may be affected adversely by those links.
                • Don't use unauthorized computer programs to submit pages, check rankings, etc. Such programs consume computing resources and violate our Terms of Service. Google does not recommend the use of products such as WebPosition Gold™ that send automatic or programmatic queries to Google.
                Quality guidelines - specific guidelines
                • Avoid hidden text or hidden links.
                http://www.google.com/support/webmas...r=35769#design

I also believe there to have been no reason for you to now add what might be confusion to this, you can see that we had some difficulties throughout the posts here, and Shaymee is now happily linking her pages together ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• SAman
                  Major General

• Mar 2007

AHHHHHH.. the wisdom of a woman. LOL You just can go wrong with it!!!
                  You are really good!!!!
                  Mike

Any excuse for non performance only weakens the charactor

In God We Trust

Comment

• aconstas1
                    Lieutenant Colonel

• Mar 2007

Make pages for users, not for search engines. Don't deceive your users or present different content to search engines than you display to users, which is commonly referred to as "cloaking."
                    • Avoid tricks intended to improve search engine rankings. A good rule of thumb is whether you'd feel comfortable explaining what you've done to a website that competes with you. Another useful test is to ask, "Does this help my users? Would I do this if search engines didn't exist?"
                    • Don't participate in link schemes designed to increase your site's ranking or PageRank. In particular, avoid links to web spammers or "bad neighborhoods" on the web, as your own ranking may be affected adversely by those links.
                    • Don't use unauthorized computer programs to submit pages, check rankings, etc. Such programs consume computing resources and violate our Terms of Service. Google does not recommend the use of products such as WebPosition Gold™ that send automatic or programmatic queries to Google.
                    What I was referring to was not cloaking, a linking scheme, or anything of that nature. I'd be more than willing to explain what I was referring to but THIS PAGE does it best. Pay particular attention to the INTERNAL LINKING section.
                    I agree to make your pages for your users, but also keep in mind that Search Engine's do exist and they are commonly how users get to your site to begin with. It's ok to internally link in an intelligent way to help your rankings with the SE's. It's a part of Search Engine Optimization.
                    Best Regards,
                    Alex
                    Surveillance Systems
                    Free WoW Gold Guide

Comment

• LadyEye

• Jun 2006

Alex

Sorry, but I don't want to play ... I am happy the pages are able to be linked together and feel over time and with further experience Shaymee can further look into these other areas. Much work is needed firstly.

Thanks Saman

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by aconstas1
                        Somtimes you dont actually want all your pages to link to all others. This can adversely affect the Google Page Rank of your main page. If you do this, your whole site will share the PR evenly distributed, but there are alternative methods of linking to your home page so that your home page or another important page can have a higher portion of the PR. I hope this helps.!
                        Alex, you are off base with this statement, which tends to lead others into the wrong understanding, despite your willingness to assist your peers! This seems to be an emerging trend, unfortunately.

Your index/home page is the first and most important item that is microscopically examined, and originates the logical construct for all interior navigation of the site: if a page is not linked to the index page, it may actually be “lost” by the spiders and future caches even if there is a ror.text file to instruct them to do so……if it does not look logical or truly part of the site (via links to index) it is seen as a “rogue”/uncharacterized element (possibly a counterfeit, or “planted” exploitation, false relevance), which has detrimental value for the whole site itself.

The very opposite is true to that statement: if all pages are not properly linked to the index page, they pose a greater risk of the entire site being evaluated as less than desirable “construct” and “relevance” by the SE’s and the bot spiders, despite site maps, ROR files, or other exploitative methods.

* This also hints at the unresolved debate over the use of iFrames, and how the practice has evolved into a favor of dynamic pages (i.e. php), completely side-stepping the earlier agreed favored G3 code: CSS. The SE's need to establish that hard-link relevance of navigation, and iFrames pretty much eliminated that metric....
                        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• aconstas1
                          Lieutenant Colonel

• Mar 2007

LOL ok General. So you're telling me all your Thank You pages and Error pages are properly linked to by your index page and i can access them via hyperlink from all of your pages, not just as an action.
                          Look at all the major web sites.
                          You cannot access all their pages from their index page... that statement is a little exaggerated don't you think?

My intentions are not to argue, I understand both of your points. I understand what you guys are referring to, but i'm also trying to teach someone something that i have learned from several different resources.

Even NavalDesign in one post i read just the other day about using inline frames as a solution to someone wanting to make a change on one page that would affect all their pages, reaffirmed what I'm talking about. Not all pages will look the same and be accessible from every other page. From SEO standpoint in my link above, it even says that it may not be desireable in some instances....

KEY PHRASE: 'some instances"

I was not telling this person what their instance was, just giving them something to think about that perhaps later they can refer to for guidance and instruction.

I assure you my intentions are sincere and I have the upmost respect for both of you and your superior knowledge and experience web building. But I also think I'm right in my statements.
                          Best Regards,
                          Alex
                          Surveillance Systems
                          Free WoW Gold Guide

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Email confirmation pages and submittal forms are not part of your site content, but are confined within the actionable file system they were written: having an icon to return visitors to the last page viewed, or to close the window is a convenience you are providing, that's all.
                            Pulling this as an example is pretty weak....this whole thread was about the difficulty one was having linking pages of a site, and how navigation is an important construct.

And, frankly, I have yet to find a "major website" that does not offer visitors clearly defined navigation to their pages....even if a page is sequenced as part of a process (a series of forms, or steps being filled out), this is still confined to a specific process, an action, and is not part of the relevance construct, is it? Whether you see fit to place a navigational option or not on these pages matters not! The "Back" button on the browser is always there....that is why on secured processes, login might be required once again, correct?

What is so hard to understand?

iFrames are an easy way to set something up for global changes, or identical display, but they are not SE-firendly or function universally in all browsers (items in the tool are not seen as individual elements --- rather like trying to tell what color the shirt is wrapped in a box). That is why php and the BV-php method is gaining use, as it should.

That is why people post...to understand and to solve their present challenges. They certainly do not expect incorrect information or confusing instructions, and I believe members of this forum deserve proven solutions they can use and reliable expertise they can depend on...don't you?
                            . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                            * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• aconstas1
                              Lieutenant Colonel

• Mar 2007

Ok I will bow out gracefully as I do not wish to incite an agry mob or something.
                              Best Regards,
                              Alex
                              Surveillance Systems
                              Free WoW Gold Guide

Comment

• LadyEye

• Jun 2006

Personally, I do not believe that it is necessary to complicate matters when the problem Shaymee was having was naming, saving, linking and republishing ... You will find many posts that refer to the use of all small letters for naming. Reason - so that there are not complications. I saw this to be the case ...

Alex - Why complicate matters ?? Do you see what I mean?

I don't believe I ever made and published an error page. I believe I've done all of this through my control panel, much different in my opinion ...

And further, I don't want my thank you pages seo'd - for many of my own reasons ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                                X