• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scallen
    Private

• Sep 2007

Linking issues

My domain is www.oklahomainsurancesolutions.com. I've watched the tutorials on creating menu bars and linking them to the corresponding pages. I've verified that I've followed the correct procedure for each link/page/button. Here is what I THINK I did wrong. When I created the pages to correspond to the navigation menu buttons, I saved the various pages as "medical.html", "life.html", etc. I understand that when I designate the page to link to in the menu bar editor that I have to name it as okinsurancesolutions.com/medical.html, but if I saved the actual page as .html instead of .bvd, will this cause the link to not work? If so, how do I resave the various pages as the correct file type?
  • scallen
    Private

• Sep 2007

Re: Linking issues

Okay, I tried cloning one of my pages and made sure it was saved as a .bvp file and published it, edited that menue button for the new pages file name, re-published the index page, but it will still not link. Anyone?

Comment

• Tom vR
      Brigadier General

• Apr 2007

On your computer you always save the pages as .bvp

Right-click on the page and select Page Properties. Here you make sure that the file extension is html. What this means is that when you publish your page, it will automatically be uploaded to the server as an html file.

The links on the buttons / menus must be named after the html files and not the bvp files. I think this is where you made the mistake. E.g. http://www.okinsurancesolutions.com/medical.html

Save the page and publish.

I hope this helps.
      Bless you
      Tom

Comment

• scallen
        Private

• Sep 2007

Well, I verified that I used the correct url in the menu bar editor. What bothers me is that I cloned a page that I mistakenly saved as .html, saved it as .bvp, published it, and it still wont link. Any other suggestions?

Comment

• Tom vR
          Brigadier General

• Apr 2007

Just try something for me: On that cloned page, select everything (Ctrl+A), then use Edit >> Cut to cut them to the clipboard. Then use Edit >> Paste from the same menu to paste everything into place. Do not use any other paste methods.

Now save and publish and see if the links work.

Cloned pages sometimes causes funny things to happen and if we can just clear this one up, we can look further if the links still do not work.

Another thing. How did you save that file as an html file as there is no html option in the drop down when saving your page on your pc? If you have renamed it, it could have become corrupted (not sure). If you have published this html page, it will be uploaded as an html Document and not html File. (I've just tried it). If published use Blue FTP or File Manager in CP to delete that html document.

Then publish your correct page again.

PS. there is an unused text box in the top-left corner of your home page (just an observation - not the problem).
          Bless you
          Tom

Comment

• LadyEye
            General & Forum Moderator

• Jun 2006

Remember, it's important to

NAME
            SAVE
            AND PUBLISH

your pages in all small letters, no capitals, no spaces unless the words are joined together with the use of the _ underscore symbol ...

Name your page contact
            save your page as contact
            publish your page as contact
            link to your page as http://www.nameofyourdomain.com/contact.html

Everything needs to match ...

When you create a page, like Tom says - the blue voda website builder saves it on your own computer as a .bvp file - when you publish this page, the blue voda website builder turns this page into .html for you ...

If you cloned a page, you should rename that page before saving it and publishing it ... you have a page there called ????_clone ... you won't want that ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
            02036089024 / United Kingdom
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Working...
            X