• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Youngbull
    Sergeant

• Jan 2008

linking help please

>-<
    My website (http://www.youngbull.net) can't seem to connect it's pages. I've tried everything from cPanel to FTP...

I've made the folders, and uploaded to the right folders... still nothing!

What am i doing wrong!?

~YB
  • Girlonthehill
    General

• Oct 2005

Re: linking help please

Hello!

Just check that you haven't used upper case letters in your page names and lower case in your hyperlinks. This is a common reason for links not working.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• Youngbull
      Sergeant

• Jan 2008

i have been very careful not to use uppercase letters, so i know that's not the case
      EDIT: Oh, and I'm pretty sure i named the topic "my pages won't connect!" or something, did anyone rename it? O_o

Comment

• judavvforum
        Major

• Nov 2007

I think you are correct about the topic title. I thought I replied to that post!

Anyway, log in to your Cpanel, go into the file manager, open the "public_html folder. Your other page names should be there, (exactly same name as the link name!). If not....you are publishing to the wrong folder. When you publish; be sure to check the "folder" block when the "publish dialog window" comes up! If it isn't the proper folder address; you can change it.

Also, I noticed you selected, "_self" for the target of your links. I have never used that and have not seen a tutorial explanation for what that does. You might change that on one link and republish, to see what it does for you.

Hope you get it going....good looking site!

Comment

• Youngbull
          Sergeant

• Jan 2008

according to what i learned from the tutorials, _self means it opens in the same window/tab.

i have published to the right folders. but yet, the pages won't open right

Comment

• judavvforum
            Major

• Nov 2007

You might try changing the target and remove the "_self", just to see what it does. These computers can do weird things sometimes! I have always left the target property (blank)(not _blank), when I want to open in the same window.

Comment

• judavvforum
              Major

• Nov 2007

I just remembered.....during the first post (that disappeared!), I did connect with your "gallery". You had it addressed as http://www.youngbull.net/gallery.html but you had a subfolder named something like "Anthro"?? So by addressing gallery as youngbull.net/anthro/gallery.html; I connected with your gallery! Am I remembering that correctly?

Comment

• Youngbull
                Sergeant

• Jan 2008

hmm, strange, cause anthro should be inside gallery, not the other way.

as i remember it, you said you found it on just /anthro, on the first base. like gallery, links etc.

gah! still giving me a headache lol!

Comment

• judavvforum
                  Major

• Nov 2007

Well that might be! My memory is needing an upgrade with all this website building and marketing going on!! LOL

I know that in the other post I was able to get to "some gallery" of pics by typing gallery and anthro, (in some order); but now it doesn't work! So, maybe take a look at what you changed since that post that has disappeared!

Comment

• Youngbull
                    Sergeant

• Jan 2008

all i changed was follow your advise, i went to cProfile and built the skeleton of folders. then i published to those different folder their rightful content.

but for some reason, those folders seem to work as the page, instead of the content. like earlier tries resulted in a url that would look like this /gallery/gallery/anthro/anthro.html for some odd reason

Comment

• judavvforum
                      Major

• Nov 2007

I just typed in http://www.youngbull.net/gallery/anthro/anthro.html and connected to a page of pics.
                      This tells me that when you published anthro.html; you changed the "folders" window of the "publish dialog" window to: public_html/gallery/anthro. Is that correct? If so, BV created a folder named "gallery" and inside that folder; it created a folder named "anthro". It then published your "anthro.html" file in that folder.

Originally you could not connect to anthro.html using this url: http://www.youngbull.net/anthro.html
                      I typed http://www.youngbull.net/gallery/anthro.html and connected.
                      I said to you to be sure that the publish dialog window (folders line), said "public_html/gallery; so that anthro.html would reside in the gallery folder. It looks like somehow you created a folder named "anthro".

I would like to hang loose here for awhile to see if those more knowledgable will offer repair advise! I have a couple ideas, but maybe they will have an easy fix!

Sorry!!

Comment

• Youngbull
                        Sergeant

• Jan 2008

yeah, this is the way i did it;
                        in cP I opened the public_html, then i made afolder, this i named gallery, then i opened it, and I created another, this i named anthro.

then i uploaded.
                        the gallery page to public_html/gallery, anthro to public_html/gallery/anthro. and repeated the process for everything in my site.

was this wrong? cause it sure seemed right at the time.

Comment

• LadyEye
                          General & Forum Moderator

• Jun 2006

hmmm ..okay.... well

Can you tell us how many images you intend to have on your website and whether or not this Anthro page is the only page that will have images or if you intend on having a gallery with several of these Anthro type pages ???? I am just trying to get a feel as to whether or not you need all of these extra folders.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• Youngbull
                            Sergeant

• Jan 2008

erm, i'm going to have 48 images, each on their own page with description and with links back, home, and contact. everything is set, only getting it fit together is the issue.

from index i'm planning 6 exits, 5 of which are linked to (one secret, which you'll have to type in the url to. for PG protection, includes my more bloody art) these would be gallery, bio, links, contact, guestbook and blood.

inside blood i will be having 2 images. inside gallery i will have 3 alternatives, anthro, love, and comission. inside anthro, i will have 23 images. inside love i will have 23 images. inside comission i will have an additional 3 choices; free, paid and fanart. all of which will be pretty much blank at the moment.

inside contact i will have a form, (so far, i have named the inside folder action, as well as the thank you page inside it.)
                            bio will be just a page with info on my life.
                            links will be apage of links to places to find me.
                            and the guestbook will be a page with the vodahost guestbook implemented.

Comment

• LadyEye
                              General & Forum Moderator

• Jun 2006

Okay, I must admit, it took me a bit, but here is my suggested plan ..
                              And if you did want to do this then you should remove those folders from your public_html directory that you created (do not remove your public_html directory, only those folders, love, gallery, anthro)... and any pages that will not be used. I wrote alot, but it's not all that much work really .. okay ..

With 48 images and not a lot of other pages I don’t think it’s necessary for you to use any more directories (folders) other than your main public_html folder to do your publishing. This will make linking much easier for you and anyone visiting your site too. There is one other directory though that you should create, and that is a password protected directory. This is where you want to keep secret those bloody photos. This would work well for you. You then publish those pages that belong in the secret directory to public_html/members and from what I gather it would be the two images – perhaps if they both fit on one page you only need to make one page called blood and publish this page to public_html/members - and when someone went to this page they would be prompted to enter a username and password, this makes this secret, of course you would need to supply them with the username and password.

From the main page you want the viewers to go to a gallery page that lists 2 links leading to anthro, love – okay, no problem and I still don’t think you need to create another directory, just continue to make more pages, and you will need to decide how you will lay out the photos though. .25 photos for anthro and 23 for love - do you intend on creating slideshows, photo albums, laying the images out onto the page ? – be sure your images are optimized as well .. if you lay the images out onto the page be careful how many you put to a page and dependent how many pages you make to hold the 25 anthro photos you can name your pages, anthro1, anthro2, anthro3,.etc.

I don’t see a need for the commission page unless you were going to be getting into affiliate sales – this would then be different .

Instead, your nav button could say art and when they go to the art page you offer the Free Art, Paid Art, and Fan Art, but you should also have this listed on the index page too, as part of your main navigation, especially since you intend on selling your art. You also have free art, people love free art and that is a good drawing card for you, bring this up front, you don’t want to bury these pages to only be found by visiting the other pages .. in fact you could even take a few of your images and create 200 x 200 cube looking images to use as a design on your front page and lay text on top – free art – paid art – fan art – and then link those images to those three pages you create.

Your main menu on your pages could look like this:

Bio
                              Art – link to art.html
                              - Free Art – link to freeart.html
                              - Art for Sale – link to artforsale.html
                              - Art for Fans – link to artforfans.html
                              Gallery – link to gallery.html (and from the gallery page – love.html and anthro.html)
                              Members – link to members/blood.html
                              Contact –
                              Links

The only pages that would be published to another directory other than public_html would be the blood pages, those pages that you want secret. Those pages would be found by www.yourdomain.com/members/nameofpage.html and of course prompted for username and password ..

All others can be published to public_html and can be found by www.yourdomain.com/nameofpage.html

I would advise against a guestbook, since they are a playground for spam and you cannot control what gets entered, you can only delete the posts and ban the ip addy as opposed to moderating them, and this would turn into a full time job. There are a few options for this if you wanted interaction, one is a forum, another a blog . not sure if a shout box has spam control or not, I have never personally used one.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                              X