• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Youngbull
    Sergeant

• Jan 2008

Re: linking help please

as it seems you don't realy understand the way i've wanted the site, i'll include some pictures.
    index:

gallery:

gallery/anthro:

example of a picture(gallery/anthro/airtrip:

and the secret page was not intended as kept for members, just kept aside. as in, you come to the site, and can only see the normal stuff, unless you know URL. that way i would be secure from PG critique. as there is no real obvious way to get to it.

I may cut out the guestbook, as I already have comments as an option in contacts.

comissions isn't just for stuff i make for others, but also things others make for me.

that's basically it.

i thank you for your help, but that solution just isn't right for my website. XD

Comment

• judavvforum
      Major

• Nov 2007

Please be patient with us! We really are tryiong to help.

When I first responded to your post I did so, not with the intention of redesigning your site, but to let you know that the url that you were using wasn't correct because the page you wanted was not residing in the public_html folder. Instead, it was in the "gallery" folder. So the correct url was http://www.youngbull.net/gallery/anthro.html.

Based on the pics in the post just below; you do not need any folders other than the "public_html" folder. Gallery, Anthro, Love, etc. are just web pages. Each has link buttons to the next pages. So each of them should be published to your "public_html" folder.

There are other ways to do what you are doing, but as I said before; it's not my place to try to redesign your site. You are well on your way; you just have to get your linking straightened out.

I apologize if I sent you down the wrong path!!

Good luck to you.

Comment

• Marincky
        General

• Apr 2006

Sorry, I know I am joining this post a bit late but I am trying to get my head around this one and what you are trying to do and why you have gone about it in the way you have?

Tell me.... Are you trying to create a site whereby viewers can see certain images but then only certain other people (members, paid or not) then get to view pictures others can't?

If this is the case this is so much easier to do than what you have done.

Let me know if this is what you want to do and we can explain this very easily to you.
        Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

• Marincky
          General

• Apr 2006

Originally posted by judavvforum View Post
          You might try changing the target and remove the "_self", just to see what it does. These computers can do weird things sometimes! I have always left the target property (blank)(not _blank), when I want to open in the same window.
          Ok, putting _self in the target field does nothing more than if you left it just empty.

BV is set to automatically open pages this way by default and so you don't actually have to put anything in this drop down option.

However, one useful thing it can do is open a page in a new window. You do this by putting _blank in the option. But you only really want to use this feature if you are say linking to another website. This way, if the viewer clicks on this link, when they are finished with that site and close it down, yours remains on their PC.
          Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

• LadyEye
            General & Forum Moderator

• Jun 2006

I do understand how you want your website, however I don't believe all the extra directories you create are necessary so therefore I tried to show you a simpler way. I still do also suggest if you are going to be selling art that you announce this on your main page, ..

you can, create as many directories as you like, if, you be sure where you are going to publish each page to and how to retrieve it...
            If you create a folder for gallery in your public_html directory and then publish a page called anthro to it - you will need to be sure to type /gallery after public_html in the publish area and you will need to then use the gallery folder in your link as well www.urdomain.com/gallery/anthro.html

The links must be pointing to the page location ..

And .. unless pages are password protected they can be found on the internet, so a secret page just doesn't really exist, and if you are thinking PG perhaps you might seek further information in regards to any disclaimers or announcements you might need to make.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
            02036089024 / United Kingdom
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• Youngbull
              Sergeant

• Jan 2008

to judavvforum: no, you was a lot of help. my reply about the solution being unfit was a response to lady eye. and thank you again for the tip, i'll definitely be trying that.

to marincky: no, my website is not meant to have any members, only visitors. i might add a paypal thing at a later time for donations...

My website is merely meant as a web-gallery everyone can go to to look at my work. or get to know something about me.

there is one more thing i'm wondering tho. How can you make it so images on a site can't be "right-clicked"? (that way people wouldn't be able to copy/save my images from my artsite.)

I thank you all for your help :3 and i will be trying that tip of yours judavv. and tell you all how it went here.

Comment

• Marincky
                General

• Apr 2006

Well I agree totally with Lady Eye that you don't need all these folders, or folders within folders, you are just going to make it very hard on yourself.

Just publish your pages including images to your public_html folder as Lady suggested. If at anytime you DO want to limit who sees these images, that's when you add a folder inside the public_html folder and password protect it and publiush all THOSE pages within.

Don't bother trying ANY Right click disable scripts, there are ways around ALL of them.

Comment

• Bethers
                  Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

It's unfortunate that you don't understand what LadyEye is saying to you.

The reason you are having trouble is because you are making several different folders to do what you should be doing by how you name the pages.

She was trying to help and your response was inappropriate to her. The reason you are confused is because of how you made all the different folders/directories - and then got yourself confused in publishing and linking them.

All this said - yes, you can continue to do it as you have been - but I certainly wouldn't say she didn't understand, nor would I say her way of doing it was "unfit" - it just might be you are not willing to change the way you do it - and that IS your perrogative.
                  Beth
                  A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                  SEO - The Basics

Comment

• Youngbull
                    Sergeant

• Jan 2008

-sigh- i do not look for an argue...

and i did realize the problem was in the folders i created.

the only thing i meant by "unfit" was that the solution (as a whole) did not fit the way my website is planned. i do not want every page to be based on the front page, like;
                    www.etcetc.blah/image1.html as contra to

the way i want it is more tidy as you actually know where you are by looking at the url.
                    the solution in question is her post #2 in this topic.

i am thankful for her help, but that way just didn't "fit" my design.

mine is a straight-forward page-to-page website, not a website where you have to go to the index every time you want to do something.
                    that is why i have included all the different links to every single page. even the ones images are on..

i'm sorry if i hurt in any way. but i'm just trying to do this the way i wanted it.

Comment

• Bethers
                      Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

The design has NOTHING to do with how you name your pages or what folder you put them in. I think YOU are lost here - and we are simply trying to make it EASIER for you. If your pages are in all those folders - it is NOT a simple page-to-page website - whereas that is what we are trying to help you achieve.

Somewhere you aren't understanding how to create your navigation - but as I said, and as Ramsey said, it's up to you how you do it - if you choose the hard way - we'll all leave you alone.

It's not about arguing - we're trying to HELP. You aren't understanding - not the other way around.
                      Beth
                      A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                      SEO - The Basics

Comment

• Youngbull
                        Sergeant

• Jan 2008

i don't know what your problem is Bethers. :3
                        I'm here trying to understand how to build my first website. and if i have decided on a way i want the navigation, then help me customize my navigation. and incase you missed it, i've been using smilies to illustrate mood.
                        i appreciate ALL the help i've gotten, both that which have been off from my idea, and that which have been helpful towards my idea.

so far, thanks to judavv, i've gotten as far as this: www.youngbull.net ^^ everything whithin one branch of my index page is working, but not past my gallery page etc.

instead of just telling me i'm not understanding and walk away, why don't you try help me and maybe i *will* understand. as i said in the start of the page, i'm no mastermind, i can't just be told do this and this, i need to be told where that "this" is. and how to do it. XD
                        not to mention how that would result. try understanding how i want things before you go on telling me how you would like me to do it.

is it too much to ask for? :3

Comment

• judavvforum
                          Major

• Nov 2007

Alright youngbull!!

You got it!!

Comment

• Youngbull
                            Sergeant

• Jan 2008

hehe, no, you did it. can still not think of a way to get past /gallery/ tho

Comment

• Marincky
                              General

• Apr 2006

It's very very simple.

Remove the gallery file from your server completely...

then create a page called 'anthro', one called 'love_art' and one called 'commission'

Then simply link to those pages like thus:

Place the images for each page ON their correct pages and then just publish it ALL to the public_html folder.

Done!!!

Comment

• Youngbull
                                Sergeant

• Jan 2008

ok, but wouldn't that make it impossible to get to the anthro etc pages? the gallery pages saves the frontpage for a lot of links.

I tried your way, but I still can't find http://www.youngbull.net/anthro.html or anything else under gallery etc.

this is the way my cPanel is looking like right now, no folders, even think i accidentally deleted the cgi-bin XD

just to help you get an idea of the way i wanted this site, here's a chart. :3
                                index
                                | ---blood
                                | | | | |
                                gallery bio contact links images
                                | |
                                | | | action.php | | = succession
                                anthro love commission -- = not linked to
                                | | |
                                images images | | |
                                free paid fanart

this way the free page would be url'd http://www.youngbull.net/gallery/commission/free.html
                                I've been around a lot of the internet, and this is the way i see most sites being linked.
                                these pages you talk about, do I make them with folders?

this is the way i want it to be linked. ^^ can it be done or not?

Comment

Working...
                                X