New user Needs help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New user Needs help!!

Im trying to link pages together and having a hardtime. I am clueless...Ok i develop a drop menu... my home page i named "index" I have created a contact us button. now how do i link them together? Where and when does my domain name come into play. Ex. i want my website to be "mywebsite.com" do i change my index page to mywebsite.html?
    I looked at all the tortarials an i don't see them explaining this.

Re: New user Needs help!!

Hi

First thing-
    With your domain name - where did you register it? if you registered it with VodaHost, you don't need to do anything, but if you registered it elsewhere, you have to log in there and point the name servers over to VodaHost.
    (You'll find the information you need in the welcome email from VH.)

Second thing, you name your homepage 'index' - but when it is published, your website URL will read: yourwebsite.com

Third thing, if you need more information about linking pages than the VH video tutorials - Ladyeye and someone else in these forums have written handy tutorials - back in a minute with links.

Last thing - if you publish your homepage (your 'index' page) - people can have a look and will find it easier to guide you. Hang in there - it will all become clear as you go along.

Comment

Back with links:

In these two threads you'll find posts by Ladyeye and CarbonTerry.
      In the links in their signatures, you'll see links to newbie tutorials:

LadyEye:

Carbon Terry:
      http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/general-support-issues/37465-help-changes-site.html

Take another look at the VodaHost videos too. Try pausing the videos at each step and copying what it says to do :)

Comment

ok i see that "index" is the home page. I have not have my domain register or hosted yet. I wanted to develop my page first before i do that. Right now i am having trouble linking pages together. i created a new page "contact_us" But back on my "index page after i click on the button i can't seem to link the pages together. What am i doing wrong. not naming them right?
        Thanks for those who responded.

Comment

Well .. if you do not have your domain name yet, you can't apply links because the links include your domain name ..

Sunchaser may be referring to my tips ..

You apply a link as:

There is only one exception and that is the index page .. all browsers know to find the index page so typing index.html is NOT necessary ..

instead it is just your domain name
          EuroDNS is a domain name registrar and DNS service provider. Free DNS, SSL certificate, and mailbox are included with all domain names.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          1-302-283-3777 North America / International
          02036089024 / United Kingdom
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Since its not hosted yet you cannot tell if the link works it will not sow in preview. this is what your links should look like.
            index page http:www.yourdomainname.com
            contact page http:wwwyourdomainname.com/contact_us.html
            when it is written on a menu bar like I wrote down, those pages will be linked.
            sigpicJoe
            Funny Jokes and Redneck Pics

www.anytime-figurines.com

"laughter is the best medicine"
            The most wasted of all days is one without laughter. ~e.e. cummings

Comment

oh ok so i develope each page first and one hosted i can link them? Not very experience so i am learning. I have done easy html the hard way before and i can preview and click my links to see where they link up to. However with Blue Voda i can't do that. I can't seem to link my index to the next page. having trouble doing that. anyone please reply.

Comment

Ray,
                You can make a (theoretical) link to another page but there is no way that it can work if you don't have a domain name and/or hosting.
                Your pages have to be published to the Internet before links can work.
                CarbonTerry
                Semper Fi
                Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
                Zone 5 Photo
                My USMC

Comment

Working...
                X