Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to use fixed menu bar in left pane and related information in right pane ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use fixed menu bar in left pane and related information in right pane ?

Hi friends !

I subscribed VodaHost Web-hosting package few days before. My website is: www.kierwanda.com

At first, I have created a drop-down navigation bar for quick navigatation in sections and subsections and with the help of the BV experts, I could manage to make this navigation bar available as a template to all the webpages.

Now, I want to use fixed menu bar on the left pane and in the right pane, I want to show the information of what menu item is selected on left pane.

More clearly what I want is that when I move to Academic---->Faculties---->Faculty of Science---->Computer Science Department, a webpage containing information for this department open in the same page.

The webpage must be divided in left and right pane. In left pane, I will use fixed menu bar having following menu items:

1. Objectives
    2. Staff Profile
    3. Courses
    and so on...

When I click on Objective, objectives of the department must come in right pane,
    When I click on Staff Profile, profiles of the staff members must come in right pane.

I know in HTML it can be achieved using frames and tables, but how to do it in BlueVoda is beyond my knowledge.

Please help me in this regard.

Thanking you...

Hemant

Re: How to use fixed menu bar in left pane and related information in right pane ?

Just use an iframe on the right side and Name it textframe
    (could be any name)

create the menu link to the objective text page
    and at the same time put in the target box the name of the iframe (textframe)

Then when someone clicks the "objective" button
    the text page will open in the Iframe

repeat for the other menu items using the same Iframe name..........

Play around with the size of the text page to fit the size of your Iframe.

Watch the video tutorial on Iframes for a better visual understanding.
    Have fun
    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
    Newbies / Beginners Forum
    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Re: How to use fixed menu bar in left pane and related information in right pane ?

Thanks David !

Let me try it and I will let you know about the progress.

Regards,

Hemant

Comment

Hi David !

I dragged a fixed menu bar on the left side. Menu buttons are:

1. Objectives
        2. Staff Profile
        3. Courses
        4. Research papers

Then I dragged inline-frame on the right side. I named this frame csd-frame (To show details i.e. Objectives, Staff Profile, Courses and Researches related to Computer Science Department).

Now, I opened MS-Word and typed the objectives of Computer Science Department. I saved it as webpage named: csd-objective (Save type) on my computer (Not on the BlueVoda Server, as I don't know how to publish normal files on BlueVoda Server.)

Now, I double clicked on the menu bar--->Under Buttons--->Objectives, I gave link type FILE and browse to the file on the computer.

Now, when I saved the webpage as csd-main.php and publish it over internet, But when I browse it and click on Objective, I don't get information as the csd-objective file is on my computer.

Please help me how I can show Objectives of Computer Science Department in that frame. What format is supported by Inline-frames ? Do I need to make webpage for Objectives in BlueVoda ?

Regards,

Hemant

Comment

Hemant

You cannot see any results until you have PUBLISHED your text files/pages and your test page to your website.......I take it that you have already opened an account with Vodahost......Yes ?

If so then, see the "how to publish video tutorial".......................

You can see a working demo of the use of an Iframe at:
          Have fun
          Regards..... David

Comment

Hi David !

Thanks for your instant reply.

Please see that I have purchased VodaHost Monthly Web Hosting Package and my domain name is www.kierwanda.com.

When you will navigate to Academic--->Faculties--->Faculty of Science--->Computer Science Department, a new webpage will open having fixed navigation bar bar in left pane. I want that information in the i-frame based on the menu item selection.

For this, I gave i-frame a name: csd-frame and in menu item, I gave the link--->to the local webpage and target--->csd-frame.

What is my question is: What type of text file, I will need to keep in i-frame ?

Please go through my site and you will get clear what exactly I want.

Thanks again,

Hemant

Comment

And yes !

When you say publish, I have publish menu.php, banner.php (for menu bar and banner, common for all webpages) and index.php on my account and they are running.

But all of these were designed in BlueVoda, so I didn't have any problem publishing them.

1. Now when you say that for each menu item, I will have to create a text page, then please tell me how to create that text page ?

2. Do I have to create that text page in BlueVoda so that I can publish it on site ? or I can use dreamweaver, notepad or frontpage etc. to create the page.

3. But then how I will publish that page created in other application and not in BlueVoda ?

Regards,

Hemant

Comment

Hi...........see answers in red.

Originally posted by wmkie View Post
                And yes !

When you say publish, I have publish menu.php, banner.php (for menu bar and banner, common for all webpages) and index.php on my account and they are running.

But all of these were designed in BlueVoda, so I didn't have any problem publishing them.

1. Now when you say that for each menu item, I will have to create a text page, then please tell me how to create that text page ?

Create your text using a BV page, save and publish

2. Do I have to create that text page in BlueVoda so that I can publish it on site ? or I can use dreamweaver, notepad or frontpage etc. to create the page.

3. But then how I will publish that page created in other application and not in BlueVoda ?

copy then paste finished text from notepad into your BV page (dont know about dw or fp)

Regards,

Hemant
                Have fun
                Regards..... David

Comment

Nice...it worked.

Thanks David ! I went through the same procedure that you gave and now it is working.

Well...I have one more question regarding i-frame but let me ask it in another post.

Regards,

Hemant

Comment

Working...
                  X