• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trueessence
    Private First Class

• Oct 2008

Menu Bar Question

Hi
    This is my first time building a website from scratch.
    My domain is www.myplanktonnz.com but am working on one that I am going to transfer over as soon as I can work out how to transfer. www.re-emergence.com

Am stuck with
    1. Getting around the jargon used. Want to do so much but the buttons gives the names ie Scipt, Lightbox, Inlinframe, Layer etc ... But have no idea what they are. Have been googling define: navigation bar etc to learn more but it is all very time consuming. Perhaps there is already a list explaining what the items do. Hopefully :o)

2. BAFFLED! I have decided to use the MENU BAR instead of the NAVIGATION BAR but when I click to preview in browser, it comes up with the pop up 'Security bar'. I can turn it off to virw but will this come up for visitors visiting my site if they have it on. This would be a bummer if that happens for visitors.

3. Also want to put a background at the back of a white page. The best way to explain it is to give you an example of a website I saw ... www.mockingbirdhill.co.nz (I am referring to the different colour / frame on the left and right of the white page. How do I achieve this please?

Look forward to your reply.
    Thanks.
  • davidundalicia
    General

• Mar 2006

Re: If I use Menu Bar, will it keep on popping up the Safety bar for visitors

Welcome to Vodaland.............

Originally posted by trueessence View Post
    Hi
    This is my first time building a website from scratch.
    My domain is www.myplanktonnz.com but am working on one that I am going to transfer over as soon as I can work out how to transfer. www.re-emergence.com

You can point the dns to the Vodahost servers NOW and then transfer whenever you wish.
    If you are not sure how to do that or you need help with the transfer
    put in a support ticket and the team will help you out.

You can also view the video tutorials on the above.

Am stuck with
    1. Getting around the jargon used. Want to do so much but the buttons gives the names ie Scipt, Lightbox, Inlinframe, Layer etc ... But have no idea what they are. Have been googling define: navigation bar etc to learn more but it is all very time consuming. Perhaps there is already a list explaining what the items do. Hopefully :o)

Once again the video tutorials here can help you get up to speed and there are some Visual step by step tutorials here.

2. BAFFLED! I have decided to use the MENU BAR instead of the NAVIGATION BAR but when I click to preview in browser, it comes up with the pop up 'Security bar'. I can turn it off to virw but will this come up for visitors visiting my site if they have it on. This would be a bummer if that happens for visitors.

This only happens on your computer.....after you have published it will be OK

3. Also want to put a background at the back of a white page. The best way to explain it is to give you an example of a website I saw ... www.mockingbirdhill.co.nz (I am referring to the different colour / frame on the left and right of the white page. How do I achieve this please?

Page properties - background (its a image/photo)

Look forward to your reply.
    Thanks.
    Have fun
    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
    Newbies / Beginners Forum
    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

• trueessence
      Private First Class

• Oct 2008

I already tried to do the background as per the tutorial but the whole page changes to the chosen image. Do I need to create a box on top of the background so that I can have a white page to type on?

Also, what should be the ideal width of the background then?

Thanks.
      Pauline

Comment

• davidundalicia
        General

• Mar 2006

A background is just that and it will cover the whole screen.
        create your page then the background for your text could indeed be a white Shape and the size will be up to you.
        Have fun
        Regards..... David

Comment

• trueessence
          Private First Class

• Oct 2008

Thanks. I am set for now. Will try and load the first page tonight after I transfer my other website across - do the dns thing. Thanks.
          Pauline

Comment

• trueessence
            Private First Class

• Oct 2008

Oh. One more question ... my hubby just noticed this as I showed him my day's work. Decided to use the Glass buttons as the Navigation cos like the look and feel of it but when I click to preview in browser, it seems to have a light blue rectagle background around the glass button. It look sownderful in the BlueVoda screen but the minute I set it to Preview, it has a blue shadow.

Can you please tell me if this is normal - ie is it only in preview mode or is it something I have not done right?

Thanks.
            Pauline

Comment

• davidundalicia
              General

• Mar 2006

double click on the button to fetch up the properties and play around with the colours, background, etc..
              Have fun
              Regards..... David

Comment

Working...
              X