How do I COMPLETELY separate ALL CLIENTS WEBSITES, index is a problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I COMPLETELY separate ALL CLIENTS WEBSITES, index is a problem

I am a Web Designer who wants to set all Blue Voda Webpages in COMPLETELY separate folders, (1) so that my clients can have their own copies on a back up without getting anothers clients folders. (2) so I can publish without a single glitch.

I am not clear about how to do this without messing up the one blue voda website I already have published. Especially since the main folder has to be called index. It has got to be in the naming of the folders. I tried to rename some folders and came very close to messing up my one clients files.

I know this has to be a simple thing to do. It is critical that I do it right. I have clients waiting in the wings and I want to proceed with success and no co-mingling of files.

Lisa

Re: How do I COMPLETELY separate ALL CLIENTS WEBSITES, index is a problem

Sounds very much like your violating your contract, Lisa. Are you saying you are offering websites on your VH account?
    CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
    CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
    CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

You arent permitted to do this on Vodahost shared servers. This is considered reselling. You will need to have them each PURCHASE a hosting account and have them give you ACCESS to it.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hi Tom...

Naturally Each Client will have their own Account Via Voda Host. Clearly this will not be a violation. If you meant something else, then tell me.

Under MyDocuments,BlueVoda Creates it's own Yellow Files called:
        backups
        Images
        Templates

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to create another file for a different client without having the files co-mingled. I have tested it out. If the main file has to be called index then how do you make the distinction between the index of each account.

I, myself would love to have my websites Voda Hosted and don't see how to create more than one website on any one computer without a file conflict.

Lisa

Comment

Simply make new folders on your hard drive within blue voda and save the pages to that folder. so you would make a page.. save as.. and then navigate to the clients folder.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Let me clarify. My clients pay me to design their websites all from my computer. They all have PAID ACCOUNTS from various hosting companies and happily give me the permission and the details to design and publish their site. I have been doing this for years. I would love to have all my clients use Blue Voda Via Voda Host since it offers the most and costs the least.

I simply have not found a way to keep all files completely separate from one another. Is there a tutorial for this. No other software gives me this problem.

Lisa

Comment

I just ANSWERED YOU how to do this. Make a FOLDER in BV documents with you Clients name. This is HOW you do it.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

I will do as you say again and see how it goes again. Meanwhile before I saw your reply I made a list of how my files line up within one another. My .bvp docs are loose and don't function when I move them into a separate folder. I am not trying to be difficult. I am trying to get clear and I am very grateful for your help. Obviously I am concerned about messing up the one website I have successfully completed.

MyDocumentsFolder to BlueVodaFolder contains:
                4 Yellow Folders and all the .bvp files of one website currently
                hosted and published on Voda Host via Blue Voda for

Yellow Folder Called: backups which contains 497 .bvp Files

Yellow Folder Called: Images containing 291 .gifs & .jpegs

Yellow Folder Called: Templates containing 1 .wwb File

Yellow Folder Called: thestonemasons containing 0 files, which may have been my previous attempt months ago to separate clients website. Not sure if I should keep this empty folder.

All the loose .bvp files within this BlueVoda Folder exist underneath the 4 Yellow Folders above.

Months ago I vaguely remember moving all the loose .bvp files to the
                Empty Yellow Folder called thestonemasons from what I remember the Blue Voda told me that files were missing so I put them back.

Is the description above the correct description and in order to create another website entirely when I make a separate folder for the new client, it gets co-mingled.

Lisa

Comment

Success so far, I made a separate folder under MyDocuments,BlueVoda called lisablairhathaway where my new index file AND 10 of my new .bvp files now exist completely separate from my other website.

Now How Do I, Can I now create 3 new folders called backups, images, templates for this separate website and if I do create these 3 separate files will blue voda know to back up this 2nd website to these 3 new folders.

(1) backups
                  (2) images
                  (2) Templates

Lisa

Comment

When I am within my 2nd new website index page, I see that I can go under TOOLS, OPTIONS, FOLDERS and change where Blue Voda locates (1) my documents and (2) back up folder. The BIG QUESTION IS will this change it for both websites or this one website only.

Right now, the new files for the new website are now in my backup folder of my 1st website co-mingled. I see that changing the tools/options/folders selection could fix this, yet will it change it universally which is what I don't want.

You got me this far for which I am thankful.

Lisa

Comment

You will have to make sure when u are working on the sites that you save as.. and select the correct folders. Bv will default this.. or it should once you set it up .. and open it from the same place each time.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Thank you Karen. I am now clear that since I did not set a separate folder for the very first website I designed, published that the files were generically place all over where as if I had made a completely separate folder the first time around, then I would not have had this problem.

I did change the TOOLS, OPTIONS, FOLDERS to go to my 2nd new website and yet, when I am within my first website all that was changed as well. So doing so is a wash.

The only thing I see is, when I am within any one website. I can go to TOOLS/OPTIONS/FOLDERS and direct where my docs and my backups should be opening up from AND being saved to for that specific website and then CHANGE IT BACK AGAIN when I am within another website so I am clicking less while designing.

If you see that I can be doing anything else differently, let me know. By default all of my backups are co-mingled. I do not want them co-mingled.

Would it be possible for me to simply have a differently named Main BlueVodaFolder such as BlueVoda_thestonemasons; BlueVoda_lisablairhathaway; and prevent the co-mingling of backups etc. this way.

Lisa

Comment

It is hard to separate backups and images.

A simple solution, if you don't mind that and if you have no need to work on other software at the same time, would be to create separate accounts in your Windows for each customer and use BV within each account. A separate account creates automatically a separate "Documents" - "BlueVoda" folder so you can have each job separated (images, pages, backups etc)
                          Navaldesign
                          Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Thank you NavalDesign...

Perhaps I will. What you are saying is for me to (1) login into my windows as a different person/name. Does that mean that I have to also re-install BlueVoda for this person OR simply open BlueVoda under that new name and start a new website.

I can't believe it's so complicated. Yet, I will do what I have to do. When my clients want a copy of their files, I certainly do not want to sift through all the files and determine which backups and which images go to which website. If you know the BlueVoda Designers will you pass a suggestion a long that they make it possible for all websites to be completely separate from one another, it only makes sense.

I am grateful to you for getting me to a new possibility.

Thank You, I'll let you know.

Lisa

Comment

No, you need not install anything. By default a new account already has all programs already functional.

Just create a new account to test. It takes no more than 2 minutes. And at that point you have a clean BV installation just for that client.

You CAN separate folders as Karen suggested, BUT images and backups are all in the same folder, and each time you will need to change the publich IP and folder.

Creating a separate account is as if you had separate PCs
                              Navaldesign
                              Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                              Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                              DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                              Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Working...
                              X