• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tr0y
    Private First Class

• Oct 2009

Wordpress Uploads > hostname?

When I want to install a plug-in on my WP dashboard, It's asking for the FTP username & password. But what should I put in for "hostname"?
  • Vasili

• Mar 2006

Re: Wordpress plug-in installation

Use the Wordpress Dashboard to install plugins, themes, or other MODs automatically.
    (For Plugins): Template Manager > Plugins

Hostname = localhost
    Username = (the username you use for your cPanel or Blue FTP)
    Password = (the password you use for your cPanel Login or Blue FTP)

WordPress Codex: Managing Plugins
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• cristal
      Private First Class

• Nov 2010

Hostname, ftp user and password for changing themes, updating the installation etc

Hi,

I have just re installed word press after my first installation which ultimately failed because of the update to 3.1 failed... Now I'm afraid to do the update to 3.1 (automatic as I really don't know if I can do it manually, at least when trying to fix my last failed update manually, I couldn't do it), as it keeps asking this again:

hostname
      ftp username
      ftp password
      and then you have to select either ftp or ftps (ftp is the default).

And when trying to change the theme in my wp account in the install theme section it asks the same things.

I've done some reading in this forum section, so I understood it asks these when installing plugins too.

So one more time; could some one please clarify to me what these are, exactly..? I'm a newbie with word press so I really don't get the "technical" stuff.... :(

If the host name is "local host", what does that mean? Do I just type in "local host" or ...? Or what it is exactly that I need to type into that section?

And IF I understood correctly the ftp user and password are the same than when logging in to cpanel?

What about the ftp and ftps - do I select ftp?

I just needed to ask as this is probably the reason why my first wp installation's update failed and my account stopped working properly, so I had to remove the whole installation and start all over again.

Thanks!

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Re: Hostname, ftp user and password for changing themes, updating the installation et

Originally posted by cristal View Post
        hostname
        ftp username
        ftp password
        and then you have to select either ftp or ftps (ftp is the default).

And when trying to change the theme in my wp account in the install theme section it asks the same things.
        I've done some reading in this forum section, so I understood it asks these when installing plugins too.
        So one more time; could some one please clarify to me what these are, exactly..? I'm a newbie with word press so I really don't get the "technical" stuff.... :(

If the host name is "local host", what does that mean? Do I just type in "local host" YES or ...? Or what it is exactly that I need to type into that section?

And IF I understood correctly the ftp user and password are the same than when logging in to cpanel? YES

What about the ftp and ftps - do I select ftp? YES

I just needed to ask as this is probably the reason why my first wp installation's update failed and my account stopped working properly, so I had to remove the whole installation and start all over again. Thanks!
        That was easy!
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
        X