• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zweetpeaz
    Private First Class

• Feb 2011

Backing up wordpress- just in case

I'm just about finished with a wordpress site www.escaribbean.com
    I want daily backup- just in case something happens. Is that something that is automatic, or do I need to do it manually? From searching google- i am finding plug-in's, and info telling me to log into my fantastico panel (which i do not know where that is)
    What is the most effective way to back up the site.. just in case the worst happens? and if I have to install a back up- how do i do it?
    thanks.
  • Vasili

• Mar 2006

Re: Backing up wordpress- just in case

Originally posted by zweetpeaz View Post
    I'm just about finished with a wordpress site www.escaribbean.com I want daily backup- just in case something happens. Is that something that is automatic, or do I need to do it manually? From searching google- i am finding plug-in's, and info telling me to log into my fantastico panel (which i do not know where that is)
    What is the most effective way to back up the site.. just in case the worst happens? and if I have to install a back up- how do i do it? thanks.
    The Backup Utility in your cPanel has preset options to perform auto-backup on a Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Basis, and includes the option to backup your Database in addition to your public_html/ directory files (your site template files, etc.).
    This is what you should be using to back up your Wordpress site.
    Your site is automatically backed up weekly by VodaHost, so choosing a daily backup is rather obvious overkill unless you have a very deep-Content site to which you are adding numerous articles/pages each day (articles/pages which should be composed and archived separately anyway) with a very large number of Registered Users who are leaving volumes of Comments each day, IMO.
    * A "static" Wordpress site hardly justifies the concern for overly protected continuity by daily backups.

The backup process is easy to configure, and is easily understood by reviewing the details in the Tutorials. You should be fine, if you decide to enable it .... keep in mind the limitations of your shared hosting account with regard to using more than the allotted server resources to perform a redundant backup as you make your reasoned consideration (Wordpress databases can be significant even if undeveloped, which may also thwart any backup being emailed efficiently).

How to login to to your Control Panel

Getting to know your Control Panel

An introduction to using Fantastico

Backing up your site

* If you ever have to restore your Fantastico-installed Wordpress site from backup, you can first Submit a Request to VodaHost Support for them to use the backup file saved on the server (unless you did not save it to the server and emailed it instead), or follow the specific instructions documented on the Wordpress Official Website that detail how to manually re-install a Fantastico site from backup files (both the Public directory and the Database). If yours is a manual installation, you need to follow the updated documentation on how to do this yourself that is available from the Wordpress website, and having a backup (either a server backup from VodaHost or your own) will prove invaluable.
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
    X