Wordpress Blog included within BV Website sitemap.xml?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • devondiver
    Sergeant

• Feb 2011

Wordpress Blog included within BV Website sitemap.xml?

Hi,

I have a BV website (www.scubatechphilippines.com).

I also have a WP blog that is hosted in BV (scubatechphilippines.com/scuba_blog)

Because the blog is a sub-directory of the main website, I had hoped that it would appear in the overall sitemap... and hits on my blog would contribute to the overall SEO of the site.

Can anyone please give some advice and guidance on this?

I would like the blog to appear as a cohesive part of my site, in terms of traffic and content. How do I do that?

Many thanks in advance
    Andy

ScubaTech Philippines
  • devondiver
    Sergeant

• Feb 2011

Re: Wordpress Blog included within BV Website sitemap.xml?

Is it a www/non-www issue, because WP creates a sub-directory and doesn't use the www?

Is there a way to create a single sitemap that includes my website and the hosted blog?

(sorry if I am describing this in a non-technical or incorrect way... I hope you can interpret what my query is...)

Cheers,
    Andy

ScubaTech Philippines

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Because your Wordpress was installed in a sub-directory of your domain (rather than in a sub-domain), it is considered by default to be within the same domain structure entirely, and a single sitemap upon that domain will by nature include your blog and anything else thus created within any sub-directory.

I would suggest that you manually create your sitemap at www.xml-sitemaps.com rather than use the BlueVoda included method so you can update the frequency option of re-visits by the bots/SE's, in order to support the defaulted WP instructions (you want your sitemap to mirror WP's built-in code that requests more frequent re-visits than normal website foundations usually ask for, since WP dynamically creates pages along with content).
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• devondiver
        Sergeant

• Feb 2011

Perhaps I am reading it wrong.... but I have been using that site to create my sitemaps. When I submit them to Google Webmaster, it is only showing pages on my site, not the blog.

Could it be because the site is addressed www, wheras the WP is non-www?

I've tried creating two sitemaps and submitting them both to Google webmaster..

Site: http://www.scubatechphilippines.com/sitemap.xml

(this is what is created when I submit the main domain/index name for the site... www.scubatechphilippines.com)

Blog: http://scubatechphilippines.com/scuba_blog/sitemap.xml

(This is the Yoast generated sitemap that I get for my blog)

Also, what frequency of visit is optimal?
        Andy

ScubaTech Philippines

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

The simple Google dashboard reports only 1 tier results (your primary public_html/ directory pages) and does not singularly list sub-directories or additional layers of values. Other professional analytical SEO tools allow you the option of displaying multiple tier values ...

Don't read into what you see on that site .... it is really not worth getting worked up about, nor would it be wise to think you can simply create a specific sitemap for your blog's URL (www.wesbite.com/blog) as this would be considered improper methodology by the SE's and be flagged as well as conflict with the nature of WP coding (WP coding is such that it asks to be individually recognized, and these built-in "optimization" features do not require or allow any additional efforts outside of specifically upgraded plugin's, especially with regard to mapping). Google presents only the information that will likely have individuals respond to to make sites more usable for them, and not just in regard to creating SERP (they have a fairly complicated advertising revenue agenda as well).

Remember to update your sitemap upon a single domain regularly (at least once a quarter), and especially after any additional sub-directory installation or major revisions. The sub-directory will add SE values proportionaltely, even though they may not be seen in a qualitative or quantitative metric using the simple free tools you may be using at this time. You can easily verify this by doing various Searches upon specific Key Words or Phrases that appear only in your Blog, for instance, as this will also illustrate how WP "stands on it's own" by nature, and as a sub-directory (URL-speaking) will always demonstrate association to the natural Domain.

* Unless you are adding "volumes" of content to your primary site regularly, you best are advised to set frequency for your site-wide XML Sitemap to no more frequent than "Monthly" (within the understanding that your WP blog is most likely to be the primary source of new Content development and will benefit from the built-in optimization parameters it establishes itself).
          . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
          X