• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • D'son
    Major General

• Apr 2008

Are copy rights protected?

I am new to BlueVoda, I am a relative newbee at web design and have created a web site for our sports program. I want to know if I add photos that are copy righten will this program support it?
    Reguards
    Ed
    www.dsondesigns.com
    www.marseillesyouthsports.com
    www.300hitter.com
    www.bigjk.net
    How to add JAlbum to your site
  • Tom Finley
    Brigadier General

• Mar 2008

Re: Are copy rights protected?

If I understand what you are trying to do, I would suggest you post small, low-rez photos to show your people what they can buy. Or, use a drawing program to put a watermark on larger images so the photos are of no real value.

Tom
    CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
    CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
    CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

• Watdaflip
      Major General

• Sep 2005

The program won't know if an image is copyrighted. Any images you add to your website (or put on the internet for that matter) can be taken by someone else. If you have actually filed for a copyright on the image you would then be able to take legal action against someone that makes a copy of the image, but generally it wouldn't even be worth the effort.

I hope that answer what you were asking, if I didn't hit it please clarify what you are asking

Register/Login Script
      Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

• D'son
        Major General

• Apr 2008

Not really, I know that there are sites out there that do not allow photos to be copied, printed or saved on your computer when they are copy writen. I used photoshop to copy right them and was wanting to know if BV supports this. Here is a link of one site that does this, go to the gallery and click a thumb then right click and you'll see what I am looking to do.
        www.realife-photography.com
        Reguards
        Ed
        www.dsondesigns.com
        www.300hitter.com
        www.bigjk.net

Comment

• CarbonTerry
          Major General

• Oct 2005

If you post a photo on a website it can be copied....somehow..period.
          There is no way to prevent it.
          It is your responsibility to have a copyright notification posted on the site and to watermark (if you think there is a need) the photos.
          The BV web builder will support .jpg, .png, .gif formats.
          CarbonTerry
          Semper Fi
          Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
          Zone 5 Photo
          My USMC

Comment

• Watdaflip
            Major General

• Sep 2005

There isn't a single image on that site that can't be copied. I saved the first one I saw in the gallery in about 10 seconds. It simple is not possible to prevent someone from taking any image that in on the internet.

Disabling right click is going to anger/annoy more of your users then it will prevent users whom are trying to steal images. If you don't mind losing visitors there are several posts on the forum with the code you need, as well as the code on sites like dynamicdrive.com

The best defense you have against your images being stolen is to put a watermark on them so people know they came from your site. Even then watermarks can be removed if not placed properly or someone has enough skill to remove the watermark and repair the image.

Simply put, if you don't want an image stolen don't put it on the internet

Register/Login Script
            Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

• D'son
              Major General

• Apr 2008

Ok thanks, the watermark is probably the best way to go
              Reguards
              Ed
              www.dsondesigns.com
              www.300hitter.com
              www.bigjk.net

Comment

• D'son
                Major General

• Apr 2008

Oh by the way, I sent you to the wrong site its
                www.reallife-photography.com
                but thanks for the help
                Reguards
                Ed
                www.dsondesigns.com
                www.300hitter.com
                www.bigjk.net

Comment

• CarbonTerry
                  Major General

• Oct 2005

Before you go to the trouble of watermarking....are the photos really valuable? They are low resolution and would look terrible if they were printed. Is it really a big deal if someone copies a photo?
                  I would rather have my photo's look good rather than watermark them and ruin the appearance.
                  BTW, on my Zone 5 site I do have some photos watermarked only because of a prior legal agreement.
                  CarbonTerry
                  Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
                  Zone 5 Photo
                  My USMC

Comment

• D'son
                    Major General

• Apr 2008

I would to but the photos are being taken by a photographer for our sports program in return he hopes to generate buisness and sell prints and posters. He is taking action shots of the kids during games that most people just can't get. so it is important to him. I have the source code of how it is done on his site but its in java, I don't know how to make it work here.
                    </style>
                    <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
                    function chgStatus(strStatus) {
                    window.status = strStatus
                    }
                    function eraseStatus() {
                    window.status = ""
                    }
                    function rc(evnt){
                    if (navigator.appName.toUpperCase().match(/NETSCAPE/) != null) {
                    if (evnt.which>=2){
                    alert("All images are copywritten by their respective owners");
                    return false;
                    }
                    }
                    else {
                    if (event.button>=2){
                    }
                    }
                    }
                    Reguards
                    Ed
                    www.dsondesigns.com
                    www.300hitter.com
                    www.bigjk.net

Comment

• zuriatman

• Sep 2006

Hi D'son,

You can put the script you want as shown in your webpage.

You also have to customize your script to:

Prevent right click
                      Prevent screen capture
                      prevent Adobe screen capture
                      prevent printing
                      prevent display of html script
                      prevent Opera users
                      prevent page download

At he end of the day you must "Register" each and every photo that you have copyright to; to enable youself to take the other party to court to gain compensation.

Prior to that you have to pay the registration fees for each and every photo you apply to be protected and if you do not know the procedure you will have to pay an agent to do it for you. Then there are the legal fees if you want to take somebody to court.

Are you sports photos of professional quality, that you worry too much about somebody stealing them?

You have to ask yourself; Is this a case of much ado about nothing?
                      www.siapamoyanganda.com/
                      Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
                      State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

• Watdaflip
                        Major General

• Sep 2005

Just a side not before I begin, thats javascript not java, two different things (just fyi).

I don't know if this will help or not, but in high school I asked on my teachers (He knew a decent amount about laws) how to go about getting a copyright of a logo, and he suggested just sending myself a the logo in the mail, that way if I ever needed legal proof I would have a sealed envelope dated by an official government agency that contained the logo. I don't know if this actually would give you enough proof if you ever had to take someone to court, maybe asked a lawyer, if it is, then perhaps mail yourself the negatives of the pictures

Register/Login Script

Comment

• CarbonTerry
                          Major General

• Oct 2005

I was a commercial photographer for 25+ years. If you want a photo [c] 'd you must do the formal registration.
                          CarbonTerry
                          Semper Fi

Red Hawk Archery
                          Zone 5 Photo
                          My USMC

Comment

• D'son
                            Major General

• Apr 2008

Thanks for all the good advise. As for the actual copy rights thats something he can worry about, he just asked if I could make it so that people can't right click on an image and print it off.
                            Reguards
                            Ed
                            www.dsondesigns.com
                            www.300hitter.com
                            www.bigjk.net

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Copyrights Explained, So No More Confusion ???

Originally posted by D'son View Post
                              Not really, I know that there are sites out there that do not allow photos to be copied, printed or saved on your computer when they are copy writen. I used photoshop to copy right them and was wanting to know if BV supports this. Here is a link of one site that does this, go to the gallery and click a thumb then right click and you'll see what I am looking to do.
                              www.realife-photography.com
                              You cannot use a tool to "copyright" anything ... it is not a process that you can do whatsoever, so you are not making sense here.

Originally posted by D'son View Post
                              I would to but the photos are being taken by a photographer for our sports program in return he hopes to generate buisness and sell prints and posters. He is taking action shots of the kids during games that most people just can't get. so it is important to him. I have the source code of how it is done on his site but its in java, I don't know how to make it work here.
                              </style>
                              <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
                              function chgStatus(strStatus) {
                              window.status = strStatus
                              }
                              function eraseStatus() {
                              window.status = ""
                              }
                              function rc(evnt){
                              if (navigator.appName.toUpperCase().match(/NETSCAPE/) != null) {
                              if (evnt.which>=2){
                              return false;
                              }
                              }
                              else {
                              if (event.button>=2){
                              }
                              }
                              Who is writing this nonsense? Not only is it grammatically incorrect, it is legally ludicrous!

Originally posted by Watdaflip View Post
                              Just a side not before I begin, thats javascript not java, two different things (just fyi).
                              I don't know if this will help or not, but in high school I asked on my teachers (He knew a decent amount about laws) how to go about getting a copyright of a logo, and he suggested just sending myself a the logo in the mail, that way if I ever needed legal proof I would have a sealed envelope dated by an official government agency that contained the logo. I don't know if this actually would give you enough proof if you ever had to take someone to court, maybe asked a lawyer, if it is, then perhaps mail yourself the negatives of the pictures
                              No, this too is an old wive's tale, but headed in the right direction: by "dating" works and establishing "first use" or authenticity of an archive, you are presupposing the fact you are making claim, to support further any question as to when you entered claim. Similar to using a Word document to compose a written work, or "editing"/saving a photo electronically on a computer system, each computer automatically "date-stamps" the file with the date and time of creation, which cannot be "faked" and has thus proven to accurately support archival evidence. In other words, since computers automatically "date-stamp" files with System Author and even Time, this has become the preferred method of preparing archival records of "first use" and "claim" to use, since postal or commercial delivery can be fraudulently mimiced.
                              >> About "archived first use": you will need to provide proof of similar fashion if when registering for Copyright a dispute arises, or a prior application has been made. If you certainly (provably) are the owner of the work, such documentation may force a reversal of registration in your favor.

Originally posted by CarbonTerry View Post
                              I was a commercial photographer for 25+ years. If you want a photo [c] 'd you must do the formal registration.
                              CORRECT

There is no substitution or half-measures for proper Registration with the US Patent & Trademark Office (even for other nationalities, as the US is the only such authentication agency that has international enforcement abilities --- even for foreign registrants).

For More Info, Please Review This Definitive VodaTalk Thread
                              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
                              X