Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can user uploaded pics be resized automatically?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can user uploaded pics be resized automatically?

Hi all
    Basically my question is like the title. I'm still working on the site so there is nothing to show yet but I'm just asking if it's possible and if so how do I incorporate it. I'm using MySQL to store user info and content. If and when I get it up and running I don't want to have to use pixresizer (even though it's very easy) for every users pictures.
    Hope you clever people out there can shed some light on this.
    Must just say that every query I have posted has been quickly resolved and for this I am truly grateful....it's a duanting task starting website building at 50!!!

Regs

Ross

Re: Can user uploaded pics be resized automatically?

Hi Ross,

There are a lot of members here who are past 60 here. Great grand Pa's and Great grand Ma's.

MySQL does not prepare the images for you. You have to do whatever yourself first before you send it for storage.

You can use scripts to limit the upload size for the pics.
    Not all users are savvy enough to limit the size of their pics. They will try to upload whatever they have to upload and some may be the size of an elephant.

You will note that people like Facebook and Genie all have limits for upload and display.
    www.siapamoyanganda.com/
    Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
    State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Thank you for your reply Zuriatman. Glad to know I'm not the oldest student in the class.
      So Javascript is the way t' go.....if I can find such a script, where would I embed it? on the form page?......not to worry, I'm sure the script writer will tell me what to do.
      Thanks again

Ross

Comment

Might be worth knowing what your aim is for the site as VH has some rules on file hosting, but in saying this! It hasn’t mentioned images. http://www.vodahost.com/web-hosting-tos.htm 2.3) File Hosting
        It also might be worth mentioning that things will slow things down if large uploads are going to your site. Most sites operate a file size limit for partly this reason.
        Would of thought it might actually be quicker to have pixresizer as a download & get users to reduce there files
        1st as uploads are very much slower than downloads.
        Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Good point Chris.....but I'm pretty sure the upload traffic will be minimal. No worries about file hosting or downloads, users will be uploading max 3 or 4 pics. I've read the TOS and I don't even come close to being naughty :o)
          Is pixresizer available for user download?, if so I will definitly include it as an option because the program is so easy to use.

Thanks

Ross
          BTW the site is a new/old fashioned twist on advertising if I ever get it finished!

Comment

Yes .... you can hyperlink Text (such as "Get Picture Tool Here") or an Image (a graphical prompt) with the following link to allow Visitors to instantly download Pixsizer >> copy + paste this link ... right-click "Copy Shortcut" to get non-abbreviated link >> http://www.vodasupport.com/index.php...wnloaditemid=2
            . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
            * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

You might want to look into a php script that can do some optimizing on the images are they are uploaded.

Register/Login Script
              Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Many thanks Vasili, will put a link on my form page.

Watdaflip....No the images are not uploaded, I am still in the process of building the site. I would like the images to auto resize before I submit them to a database. When recalled they would not have to revert back to original size. Will look into php as well as js.
                Thank you both for your help

Ross

Comment

Originally posted by Porkmeister View Post
                  No the images are not uploaded, I am still in the process of building the site. I would like the images to auto resize before I submit them to a database.
                  No matter how you look at it, there will be a few manual steps you will need to take as you "process" your images to the server/DB. You may wish to explore different Editors, and if you can tweak the Contact Sheet function to standardize images and still be able to handle them individually (instead of being forever embedded to a single Contact Sheet).

Just an idea (or logic) to fiddle with ....

Comment

Thank you Vasili....As long as I don't have to resize every picture manually I'll be happy. I'll sleep on it, my biological logic processor seems to work better during the night :o)

Thanks

Ross

Comment

Originally posted by Porkmeister View Post
                      Watdaflip....No the images are not uploaded, I am still in the process of building the site. I would like the images to auto resize before I submit them to a database. When recalled they would not have to revert back to original size. Will look into php as well as js.
                      I may have misunderstood the process you are taking. Are you storing this information directly to the database using phpMyAdmin or a comprable desktop utility, or do you have a form on your website that is adding the information to the database? If it is the latter, you can have the form upload the image (your would just browse for it on your computer), and upload it when you submit the data. PHP is capable of resizing the image to a consistent size (keeping the aspect ratio), as well as reducuing the file size while keeping close to the same original quality.

Also Javascript isn't going to provide you with a solution to this. Javascript has no direct image manipulation capability, it can only modify the DOM for the image being displayed (change dimensions, apply filters, etc), but it can't save it after.

Hope that helps

Register/Login Script
                      Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Originally posted by Watdaflip View Post
                        .... or do you have a form on your website that is adding the information to the database? If it is the latter, you can have the form upload the image (your would just browse for it on your computer), and upload it when you submit the data. PHP is capable of resizing the image to a consistent size (keeping the aspect ratio), as well as reducuing the file size while keeping close to the same original quality.
                        Thanks, CJ! That is just what the Doctor ordered, and gives Ross a definite direction to persue: "Forms"!!

Maybe you can also email Ross with an affordable solution, seeing as how you are much more adept than he is??

Comment

Thank you for your terrific help.....Once you guys get the bit between your teeth you don't give up.....I love it!!!
                          I have the form made and with the help of ABVFP I'm transferring the uploaded data directly to the database. I wondered why my lengthy javascript seaching last night didn't throw up much help. Plenty of trial scripts but the related forums were full of posts about bugs, tweaks and problems.
                          Will now pursue the php path, any suggestions where to look?

Ross

Comment

Working...
                          X