• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AJ113
    Special Status

• May 2007

Templates - How Do I use Them?

Ok I'm familiar with the standard one-image free templates and I use them all the time. However, I just downloaded one of the 6 -'newest' templates - the ones that look more like completed pages - and it's just a bunch of images in a folder. Am I missing something? What do I do with them? How do I use them?

On a similar theme, I want to buy a 'full site' or 'full package' template, so I downloaded the free sample of the full package. Again, a bunch of directories with images, scripts, html files etc. What do I do with them? how do I edit them?

I was expecting BVP files in both of these downloads so that I could edit them. Obviously it doesn't work like that. So how DOES it work?
  • Collectors-info
    General

• Feb 2006

Re: Templates - How Do I use Them?

Do you have a link to the template you want to use so we know what to suggest?
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

• AJ113
      Special Status

• May 2007

These are the free samples of full sites
      【WordPress, WooCommerce, PrestaShop, Magento, HTML Tutorials For Beginners And Developers】✅Video Tutorials✅Free Tutorials✅Extensive Documentation✅

And this is the free tempates page, the templates in question are the six thumbnails at the bottom.

Template sets 1 to 13 are completely unthemed D.I.Y. templates. They are perfect semi-blank canvases for you to add your own logos and pictures to. Most of them are designed to be aligned on the left side of the page.

Comment

• Collectors-info
        General

• Feb 2006

1st link will involve some html experience & paint/photshop for image manipulation.
        2nd link is just a case of just stitching together the image fragments on a BV page.
        Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

• AJ113
          Special Status

• May 2007

I don't get it. How can it be a template if you have to build the site yourself? Anyone can throw a bunch of images togrther and call it a site. Why don't they just create a bunch of bvp files so that bv users can use bv to edit?

Comment

• Collectors-info
            General

• Feb 2006

The BV ones are free & only take a few minutes to make up a page. The idea of having lots of images is so you are not so restricted in the pages flexibility. Once you have made your 1st page, you then would save it as a BV template in the style you like.
            Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

• AJ113
              Special Status

• May 2007

Have you actually tried that Chris? I mean, how are you supposed to know where each image goes? There isn't even a full-size image of the template that you can refer to, only the thumbnails.

Furthermore, from vodahosttemplates.com FAQ:

18. What software do you recommend for making HTML?

We think that Macromedia Dreamweaver is the best.

What????

Also, vodahosttemplates.com seems to be clone of templatemonster.com which of course is nothing to do with BV. All of the files need AdobePhotoshop and Macromedia Flash in order to edit them. How could that possibly be described as BlueVoda templates?

Comment

• AJ113
                Special Status

• May 2007

Bump

Seems to me there is a gap in the market here. Anyone up for a JV? You make 'em. I'll market 'em.

Comment

• Collectors-info
                  General

• Feb 2006

There are some template that are for BV (Basic) & some templates for the html user (Advanced). If you want to use the more advanced template, you will have to learn how to use Dreamwever & photoshop. VH are selling templates for who ever has the ability & skills to use them & not just for BV customers only. I don't think it says the ones at vodahosttemplates.com is for BV use? (Might be wrong)
                  As mentioned before! With the BV template (6 at the bottom) You put them together as you want them to look as there would be no point in a template that is not flexible.
                  Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

• ianggj
                    Private

• Mar 2010

I have to agree with this thread - I also tried to download these so-called templates - since I liked the look of one of them. Loads of other web-build sites have similar things - you download it as a complete page and then change it around to meet your requirements. All you get from this download is a massive jigsaw puzzle of disconnected images (loads of which are actually just bits of images - you can't tell where they go since (unlike a proper jigsaw puzzle) you don't have a picture to start from - completely useless (even for an experienced html-coding website builder like me). I think someone's trying to con us here!

Comment

• ahimsa
                      Major General

• Jan 2009

.....ianggi -
                      ".........completely useless (even for an experienced html-coding website builder like me)."
                      I have to ask the obvious question: Why would an "experienced html-coding website builder" like you be bothered with templates anyway? Surely you have the expertise to build sites without them, yes?
                      BV is a free sitebuilder & gives all us novices a fantastic chance to make our own pages without having to learn complicated things like html coding &/or java scripts & the like. I, and many others, have no complaints & do not agree that........"
                      someone's trying to con us here"
                      Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

• AJ113
                        Special Status

• May 2007

And how does that contribute to the thread exactly? The topic is how to use templates, please keep it that way.

Comment

• AJ113
                          Special Status

• May 2007

Originally posted by Collectors-info View Post
                          T.........With the BV template (6 at the bottom) You put them together as you want them to look as there would be no point in a template that is not flexible.
                          Chris have you actually used these? I'm sure if you have you will know that they are not templates, they are a collection of jpegs. There is a difference between 'flexible' and 'unusable'

If they were templates, they would be bvp files, which as we all know are extremely flexible anyway once they are opened.

I say again - there is a gap in the market, i.e. templates that are delivered as bvp files.

Comment

• Collectors-info
                            General

• Feb 2006

I have only used the ones on this page. The others can be adapted with a lot of work for BV use, but they are not really for this purpose.
                            As mentioned before, VH is looking out for all web users & these other templates are for the more experienced that use other website makers like dream weaver.
                            Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

• seldonbilly
                              Private

• Mar 2010

you can open the templates with any text editor. I recommend notepad++. Or you can use MS Notepad, it comes on all windows machines..
                              ipad 2 accessories

Comment

Working...
                              X