Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scanned document posted as an image

Hello,

Does anyone know how to post a scanned document onto a page just like you would post an image? I have a website for students and teachers, <www.starringstudents.com>, where students will be able to submit their drawings for publication. The easiest way for them to do that would be to scan their pictures and send them to me as a PDF document, but when I try to insert a scanned document, the image does not show up.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much,
    Haifisch

Re: scanned document posted as an image

How are you inserting the document?
    You could insert an image (jpg) as you would any other image using the gallery/lightbox function.
    To view a pdf use an IFrame.
    CarbonTerry
    Semper Fi
    Still green...still mean......just not as lean

Red Hawk Archery
    Zone 5 Photo
    My USMC

Comment

Wow, thanks for the fast reply. I tested it with a scanned pdf - I assume all the documents will be pdfs that I will want to post - and it said within the Iframe that the pdf was not found and that a 404 error occured. I understand how to put images up, but the pdfs....

Comment

Save the scanned document as .jpeg, .gif or .png if you want to use them on a webpage.

Scan them at 100 dpi or less for faster loading in your webpage.

A PDF can only be viewed if you have a reader installed in your computer to view and read them.
        www.siapamoyanganda.com/
        Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
        State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Originally posted by Haifisch View Post
          Wow, thanks for the fast reply. I tested it with a scanned pdf - I assume all the documents will be pdfs that I will want to post - and it said within the Iframe that the pdf was not found and that a 404 error occured. I understand how to put images up, but the pdfs....
          You will need to upload your pdf's via the FTP and then put the url of this pdf into the Iframes property.

So it would look something like this

http://www.mydomain.com/mydocumentname.pdf

Just a tip. It might be worth renaming these pdf's to something short and easy, because if's too long with numbers and text, you've got work out what the url will be.
          Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

Also a good point from Zuriatman. If your visitors doesn't have a pdf reader on their PC, put a link on your site to Adobe where they can download one.
            Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

I really appreciate the suggestions. Zuriatman, I tried to save some scans, but they end in .pdf and I cannot save them with a .jpeg, .gif, etc. end for some reason. I also won't be able to control how they are scanned in (at 100dpi or less), because these scanned images will be scanned from students and sent to me as an attachment. I will then post them on the site. Thanks for the heads up with the reader - I'll make sure to link to Adobe. Darren, thanks for the heads up as well. Forgive me, I'm new here - what is the FTP?

Much obliged!

Comment

In BV go to 'tools' then drop down and you will see ftp manager. Click it then connect. Same credentials as for publishing. Once connected, on your left you will see your PC files and on your right you will see your server files.

So from the left, locate your pdf's and drag them to the right making sure you drop them in the correct folder. Probably your public_html folder if this is your first site. Make sure you open this folder first (you will know you are in the right place because you will see all the web pages you have made + images and so on)
                Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

Ok, I got everything worked out with the FTP and this is what shows up on my page:

When I click on the white box, my pdf comes up. What I would like to see is the actual image in the little white box. This page will end up being a gallery of student drawings and colorings that have been scanned, so I'd like to see the images all over the page and not have parents and teachers click.

Did I miss a step?

Thanks again for all the great advice so far. I've learned a lot already.

Comment

Thanks again for the advice everyone. For those reading with the same issue, I ended up needing a pdf to jpeg converter - I found a download for free by googling it. The application turns any pdf (scanned images) into jpegs quite simply, so afterward I could click the add image in BlueVoda and add the scanned document where I can see it as a picture.

Comment

Working...
                    X