• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GotQuestions
    Private First Class

• Mar 2010

Protecting images loaded in Lightbox

I am trying to figure out a way to protect images that are loaded into the lightbox. The reason why I ask is all other images on my site are loaded into a images file which I disallow in my robot.txt but when you publish a page with a lightbox the images are save directly in the root folder. Now I guess I can add those image files to the robot.txt also but I have over 400 images total that is alot of photos.

Hopefully there is an easier way...I know there is no way to protect images from being copied but I want to avoid images showing up when someone search the website under images.

Any help or direction would be appreciated...if it has already been discussed please link me to the thread been searching for hours already.
  • Vasili

• Mar 2006

Re: Protecting images loaded in Lightbox

No other way than to put in the time and effort, however you decide to do it.

1. You could copy your images to a newly created folder in your public_html/ directory and call it "LBImages1" for instance, and then go back and edit all your Lightbox entries so they have an actual link rather than a file association to them: http://www.YourSite.com/LBImages1/firstimage.jpg ...... and then list this LBIMages folder in your "disallow" Rules in your robots.txt and de-list the folder in your sitemap.xml file.
    Only after you are satisfied everything is working as expected should you then delete the single images from the general public_html/ Directory, leaving your "protected" folder as the source to populate your Lightbox.
    2. Or, you will have to simply create a disallow on single line code for single images in your robots.txt file ... cut+paste and minor image edits needed only.

Either way, it needs doing but once.
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• GotQuestions
      Private First Class

• Mar 2010

I was afraid that would be the answer... I dont mine putting in the time just didnt want to waste it if there was another way...

One question if I place them in the robot.txt do I have to include the entire file for example: www.mysite.com/image1.jpg or do i just place the file: /image1.jpg

Thanks again for the quick response.

Comment

• GotQuestions
        Private First Class

• Mar 2010

Sorry need clearing up...

how do you complete your first option. When I go to the lightbox to add photos I only have the option to add from folders on my computer. The only way I can see to fix it is to edit the html in my cpanel to redirect the images to the folder /LBIMAGES I create...am i right on this.

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

There is no editing of your cPanel HTML ... E V E R!

Let's do it simple ....

Just create a folder in BV under/in your Domain folder named LBImages1, put your images in that folder, associate images to Lightbox, publish.
          You should have a folder auto-created in your public_html/ directory just as created in BV, but if not, using the cP toolbar, create the same titled folder and move your images into it.
          Make you disallow rules for that folder, mirror it in sitemap - done.

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

After thinking about it more (annoying!), the simplest way of all is to create a single line command in your robots.txt file as an 'disallow' statement using the wildcard method for all images along with the folder rule:

Agent: *
            Disallow: *.JPG
            Disallow: /LBImages1

Try that one!

Comment

• GotQuestions
              Private First Class

• Mar 2010

Got it...thanks again as always Vasili.

Comment

• GotQuestions
                Private First Class

• Mar 2010

I will try that it sounds like it should work...i guess thats what I was looking for when I started this thread, however I will be trying a couple different ways you suggested.

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

*sigh*

Comment

• GulfCoaster
                    Second Lieutenant

• May 2009

You really go out for us, General. I, for one, appreciate it also. I've learned a lot, even when you think it's not important stuff you are discussing.
                    BP: SHOW ME DA MONEY!

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by GulfCoaster View Post
                      You really go out for us, General. I, for one, appreciate it also. I've learned a lot, even when you think it's not important stuff you are discussing.
                      I gobble up every bit of any Kudos and Accolades tossed my way, you know. Everything helps to allay the loneliness of being on the wrong side of "Ignorance is Bliss" but it still won't get you a discount on your hosting!

Boo-yah!

Comment

Working...
                      X