• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kirbyproperties.net
    Corporal

• Jul 2007

Live Video Feeds??

O.k. here's the short version of my company idea, can you please advise me in the right direction...
    I need software that will do this...
    I will have 3 camera men at an event streaming live to my website.
    I need the cameras to feed wirelessly.
    I will also have commentators at the event.
    How can I do this?

Thank you,
  • Vasili

• Mar 2006

Re: Live Video Feeds??

Originally posted by kirbyproperties.net View Post
    O.k. here's the short version of my company idea, can you please advise me in the right direction...
    I need software that will do this...
    I will have 3 camera men at an event streaming live to my website.
    I need the cameras to feed wirelessly.
    I will also have commentators at the event.
    How can I do this?

Thank you,
    Sorry, but yours is not simply a "software" issue.

1. The first thing you will need to do is file a petition with the FCC for a license, for inasmuch you will be no longer "presenting content" (as would be under the rules if you had a definitive video, music, or other single independent 'file'), but "broadcasting" (despite the medium you select, this transmission constitutes broadcasting, since it is a signal that is distributed via the amplification method after being processed digitally). The method (or concept) you are describing is far from the unregulated personal webcam, personal communications (VOIP) use, or corporate conference parameters......despite what is on TV nowadays, the FCC has a lot of rules that filter down to more levels that was in the past, just as technology and ability floats down to common levels.

2. You can have as many cameras (or feeds) as you desire, but the "software" is usually included with the hardware (the 'stack'), and access to this genre of hardware is restricted to qualfied users (registered, or licensed). The processing of qualifications and cost of the hardware itself is not usually within reach of the budding business interest let alone anything close to a hobbyist (i.e. professional cameras, lenses, lighting, and wireless packs average $8-12,000 each), and since it is no longer within the realm of "private communications" (since you are in public and dealing with persons at events), there are the guidelines of depiction and release of images to comply with also: you are not allowed to transmit individuals identities without obtaining rights or without "blurring" faces, something you cannot do if broadcasting "live". Even TV delays signal re-broadcasts to allow them the 4 seconds to 'bleep' language or blur impermissable images.

3. Wireless feeds are done all the time (just like TV reporters), and you will need a stack to process the signal. Again, equipment availability is dependent upon qualification (need to be licensed). Wireless feeds to a taping or recording unit are abundantly available, but that is not the same as re-transmission (broadcasting).

4. If you would like some help with the logistics of setting this up, or even be guided through the possibility of effecting a broadcast affiliation (similar to becoming a franchisee of a licensed broadcaster), get in touch with the folks at ProMedia Unlimited. They have the expertise you can rely on!
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• kirbyproperties.net
      Corporal

• Jul 2007

Thanks a lot Vasili. It's still in the baby stages but you have answered a lot of the questions I was needing. We will be streaming live from a sporting event(w/event director approval), to a paid members only website. How in the world would I get everyone in the stands and on the feilds to sign a wiaver? some events have over 10,000 people or is it only the ones we will have direct interaction with. I'm sure that's a lawyer question. Thanks for the help. I'll check out ProMedia now.

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

You are still not getting it.....even if you offer a live transmission to a "controlled access group" (a membership site ~ which may or may not collect money either for 'inclusion' or 'session'), it still constitiutes a private audience and the pratice of broadcasting.

To broadcast, you need a license, the equipment, and the legal status (obtain rights, waivers, authority, etc.) in compliance with the FCC.

If, however, you tape/record/store something and choose to "replay" it on your website (with whatever configured means of access you desire), then you are merely providing access to a "file" or other finite record.......like a parent videotaping a child's soccer game and having it on their family website......this is allowable completely, and does not require special equipment.

There is no 'middle ground' regarding these differences, and you might need to simply re-think your plan accordingly. You should even check out the warnings that Monday Night Football provides, being quite clear about the rules of proper use of and recorded broadcasts.....
        The bottom line? You can't do what you want, and if you try, I personally think you will be in way over your head trying to defend yourself in this day and age where a student recently was convicted of illegal file sharing and was ordered to pay over $220,000 in fines for downloading 29 songs. And you are trying to finagle a "live" broadcast to a "Membership" website?? You don't need a lawyer to tell that there is something fraught with liability let alone inherently unethical with the idea. Beside, Florida has some of the strictest Public Policies and Commercial Codes in the Union, and does not budge on the side of good intentions (I know, since I am a FL INC).

IMO

Comment

• kirbyproperties.net
          Corporal

• Jul 2007

Dude chill out...all I ask was a question on how I can do it.
          You said...
          (To broadcast, you need a license, the equipment, and the legal status (obtain rights, waivers, authority, etc.) in compliance with the FCC.)

That's all you had to say...I guess that is what I need to do. This isn't Monday Night Football...LMAO...

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by kirbyproperties.net View Post
            Dude chill out...all I ask was a question on how I can do it.
            You said...
            (To broadcast, you need a license, the equipment, and the legal status (obtain rights, waivers, authority, etc.) in compliance with the FCC.)

That's all you had to say...I guess that is what I need to do. This isn't Monday Night Football...LMAO...
            I am quite composed, Steve.....I have just seen too many people try to do and end-run rather than what is right. It is extremely difficult to estimate how much peers actually understand or are willing to aquiessece to when talking about their plans, dreams, and directions they are willing to commit their efforts towards.

And you are tight, this is not Monday Night Football.....not a game whatsoever!

Comment

Working...
            X