Is it legal to copy an article from a news site question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanX
    Corporal

• Nov 2007

Re: Is it legal to copy an article from a news site question..

but make it an original opinion etc etc.
    you mean like agreeing/disagreeing with the author?
    ------------------------------------------
    Under construction:
    http://www.affiliateressources.com

Blog:
    http://www.blog.affiliateressources.com/blog1/

Comment

• mwalsh62
      Major

• Jul 2007

Dear DanX and john777,

Okay, I know you are really busy, and I'm just sitting around picking dingleberries, so I did a little footwork for you (it's called Google, an amazing thing!).

COPYING FOR WEBSITES & PUBLIC DISSEMINATION
      Los Angeles Times v. Free Republic, 54 U.S.P.Q.2D 1453 (C.D. Cal. 2000)
      A bulletin board website allowed members to post full articles from newspapers in order to generate awareness and discussion of various subjects. Access to the site was unrestricted. The defendant was a for-profit corporation, but was in the process of seeking nonprofit tax status and did not charge for access to materials on its website.
      Purpose: The articles were copied directly from the news sources and were not “transformative.” The judge was also not persuaded that a link to the news source would not be sufficient. While the court generally favored the claim of a “nonprofit” use, the court still found that posting the articles was drawing readers away from the commercial websites where the articles originated.
      Nature: The articles are predominately factual, tipping the factor in favor of fair use.
      Amount: The website included the full text of the articles, and the court found that the copying was more extensive than necessary to accomplish the defendant’s objectives.
      Effect: The newspapers were seeking to exploit the market for the articles and draw traffic to their websites; the defendant was “usurping” the copyright owner’s potential markets.
      Conclusion: The bulletin board’s use of the newspaper articles was deemed to not be fair use.
      Read Full Opinion

If this doesn't enlighten, you should hire a lawyer, or at least do some searching yourselves, "The Truth Is Out There" (Great, now FOX is probably going to be gunning for me).

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by MaxWeb View Post
        Do your own work, and if you are going to use someone else's make sure you get permission.

Anything else is copying, plagiarizing, or downright stealing someone else's idea --- and more likely than not, you'll get caught. There really is no need to see how gray you can paint the path to success, is there
        Bravo!
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
        X