• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • asirimarco
    Brigadier General

• Jun 2006

Optimized I think for the SEs?

http://www.beadedcustomdesigns.com - i have read and reread all I can and worked and worked on this - did I get it right - what should or shouldn't do now? It is hard to come up with different meta words when all of the pages are almost alike.
    Help
    Ann
    www.MovingOn1.com - My Travel
    www.BeadedCustomDesigns.com - Jewelry
    www.FantasyManorArtStudio.com - Leather Art
  • Bethers
    Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

Re: Optimized I think for the SEs?

First, are you going for a different market by spelling it jewelry on the pages, but jewellery on the title (home page)? You've also used the spelling jewelery. Personally, I think you're trying to get all spellings for the se's - but it's taking away from the professionalism of the site. You need to target which one is the one you MOST are targeting on that page. If you wish to use the other spellings, you need to do so in a way that makes sense. Like have a page targetting the foreign market and use that spelling there.

Your home page is trying to target too many of the different key word phrases - all the spellings of the word jewelry - handmade, hand-crafted, custom, skilled, discriminating, distinctive. I'd like to see you target 2-5 of these keywords phrases MAXIMUM for this page - and then take the ones you don't target and make sure you target them on other pages.

As to keywords - your meta will be different on the pages, because one page will be necklaces, one will be earrings, etc. The search engines, for the most part, won't pay any attention to what you put in the meta keywords tags because they know exactly what people do. And what once was important no longer is because of people trying to fool them. They don't like that.

I look at your title on the necklaces page - and I wonder - it starts with the word distinctive - are people really using that word to search for necklaces? I can't find that they are. So that's not a good word for you to be using in the title. If you think it's a good descriptive word for use on the page, go ahead and use it anyway- but not in the title. Words that are being used to search for beaded necklaces include jewelry, handcrafted, handmade, crystal, lariet, bohemian, heart and others. Researching and knowing the words people are using is vital to your success in choosing titles and writing copy.

For pendants, your title doesn't have the word necklace - which I think is important on this page - as there are other forms of pendants - and you want to target your audience. For example, it wouldn't make sense for you to target diamond pendants, unless you carried them - so looking at your page, I suggest the following that people are using:
    necklace pendant
    crystal pendants
    gem stone pendant
    jewelry pendant
    etc. - and your doing this research would be good, because I don't know some of the terms that would fit your jewelry

But, looking at the page and seeing what I do - I suggest a title of:
    Necklace Pendant Jewelry | Gemstone and Crystal Pendant Necklaces

Then make sure you use the words on the page describing the pieces that are the words your visitors would use to search - for example - if you use swarovski crystal, say so. If you use Murano beads, say so.

Your alt tags are not being used properly. Look at them and tell me that if you were blind and had a computer reading the tags - that what you've written would tell you what the picture you're missing is? The alt is supposed to tell people who can't see the picture, what they can't see. Using them properly, is also optimizing your page. Right now, the tag "pretty on white or gray" that I see on a pendant - doesn't do anything for me if I'm sight challenged (whether my eyse or I'm using a text only computer) nor does it tell the se what the picture is.

Now, I just clicked on the Mayan Sun pendant - and the title could much better reflect what is there. It currently doesn't even have the word pendant in it. Is there a stone that might be mentioned there that someone might be looking for? There are people searching for Mayan jewelry and Mayan pendants and Mayan silver jewelry pendants - a combination of those words - that is true about the pendant - should be the title - maybe:
    Mayan Sun Pendant Necklace - Sirimarco Handcrafted Jewelry

I've spent about an hour here doing keyword research - and to do it properly for each page - would take me that much time or more each - after I knew the beads and crystals and whether silver or gold, etc etc.

You have a good start, but jewelry is one of the most competitive online markets and it's vital that you target each piece and each page with the absolute best keyword phrases you can.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

• Dori
      Lieutenant Colonel

• Sep 2006

As always... I learn so much from you Bethers!

Ann, I know it is a lot of work up front, but it will be well worth it in the future. Your site is fabulous!
      Naturally Yours,
      Dori
      www.earthelixirs.com
      www.earthelixirsinc.com
      www.mineralmakeupdiva.com
      www.virtualdesigndiva.com
      www.enhancemineralcosmetics.com

Comment

• planet777
        First Lieutenant

• Dec 2006

Lotsa good stuff as usual from Bethers... :-

Cheers

Will
        A manual to help small-business owners . http://www.entrepreneurshipz.com

Comment

• asirimarco
          Brigadier General

• Jun 2006

Thank you again Beth - I printed out your comments and am now working on making changes. Have done the first two pages (index, aboutus), the necklaces and bracelets pages and the pendants - hope I am on the right track. been changing page titles and atl tags. Will keep plugging away.
          Ann

Comment

• Bethers

• Feb 2006

You're getting there :)

I just glanced at the pendants since I spent so much time on that page last night- and I suggest 2 more quick changes:

The headline is currently: One of a kind Handmade Beaded Pendants

I'd at least change to: One of a kind Handmade Beaded Pendant Necklaces

and on the bronze beauty alt - you have pendant misspelled.

You are very welcome - you have beautiful jewelry - and it deserves to be seen.
            Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

• asirimarco
              Brigadier General

• Jun 2006

made both corrections suggested and am continuing to work on all pages -including the enlargement of the pieces
              again thankx to you
              Ann

Comment

• asirimarco
                Brigadier General

• Jun 2006

well I have been working on the site most of the day - will finish up tomorrow - hope i have achieved what was needed -
                Ann

Comment

• Bethers

• Feb 2006

Ann,
                  Don't get mad at me.

You've done an excellent job with the SEO.

Now, you need to add the add-to-cart code to each piece of jewelry on the pages. Don't force people to click on the picture to add it - I actually had to figure out HOW to order. All I could find on the page was View Cart - but not add to cart.

Remember, the easier you make it for people, the more likely you'll be to turn visitors into buyers.

<ducking> I should have noticed this before.

You are doing a fantastic job.
                  Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                  SEO - The Basics

Comment

• asirimarco
                    Brigadier General

• Jun 2006

Again thanks - never thought of it that way - well that should keep me busy for a few days - again ia am recouperating from surgery and then an other 6 day stay in hospital for massive ********* - so i have lots of time to sit around - cant leave house yet will get on it
                    Ann

Comment

• Bethers

• Feb 2006

Oh, I'm sorry about the surgery - but if this keeps your mind off it and the sitting around - and lets you heal - then maybe it's a blessing in disguise ?

Here's to your fast recovery and to the website's success!
                      Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                      SEO - The Basics

Comment

• asirimarco
                        Brigadier General

• Jun 2006

Thanks Beth - all the people here on the website keep me encouraged.
                        added the "add to cart" button on all the items. what a job! think it is done now - just have to look at everything to make sure
                        Ann

Comment

• asirimarco
                          Brigadier General

• Jun 2006

Beth - I have completely redone all the pay buttons and alt tags and titles - whew many many thanks for all help - i'm good at taking advice i think. will hte text links on the bottom of each page help?
                          Ann

Comment

• Bethers

• Feb 2006

The text links give both customers and se's another means to your pages, so they will not hurt - and could help. Since all your navigation is already readable by se's, it's just another means.

Good job!
                            Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                            SEO - The Basics

Comment

Working...
                            X