• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ram_Industries
    First Lieutenant

• Dec 2005

Creating a Portal

This may be the wrong forum for this topic, sorry if it is..... It seems to be the best one in regards to my question.

I am in search of anyone that understands the creation of a Portal Website.

What I am working on is based on particular search criteria and am interested in setting this Portal to a national level (US only at present)

How would I create such a Portal and use BlueVoda to build this Portal?

The Portal I am interested in creating will be simular to search engines except on a particular subject. Can not explain the exact details here due to sensitivity of the data which will be placed on the Portal itself.

Can anyone assist me in the creation of a Portal?

Ram_Industries
    Ram_Industries
    Robert A. Montgomery
    Ram-Industries@comcast.net
    http://Martech-Inc.biz
  • Watdaflip
    Major General

• Sep 2005

Re: Creating a Portal

You can't use bluevoda itself to create a portal. You will need knowledge of php or some other web based programming language. Its not possible to make it with a few clicks of the mouse

Register/Login Script
    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by Watdaflip View Post
      You can't use bluevoda itself to create a portal. You will need knowledge of php or some other web based programming language. Its not possible to make it with a few clicks of the mouse
      Wrong!
      That is so far wrong I am amazed, especially coming from you C-Man!
      I know you are thinking along the lines of "search" but even if so, a forum would function as well.
      HOWEVER, his description reads:
      The Portal I am interested in creating will be simular to search engines except on a particular subject. Can not explain the exact details here due to sensitivity of the data which will be placed on the Portal itself.

A "Directory"???

Anyone can create a "Portal" or a "Landing Page" or even a "Usher Page" (an old term from 1995, when Corporate Portals were the rage!) using Blue Voda, especially with the newest additions of visual tools and features!

I even have a visually based one that I use to maximize the metrics of co-branding and cross-channel traffic, having grouped a number of my own websites onto one page for "portal navigation".....and surpisingly, the recognition and marketability of this Portal is greater than the individual sites!!

See for yourself: www.DiamondGiveaway.com
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• Watdaflip
        Major General

• Sep 2005

Originally posted by Vasili View Post
        Wrong!
        That is so far wrong I am amazed, especially coming from you C-Man!
        I guess my idea or a portal differs greatly from its actual meaning then. At any rate just disregard my post, I guess I had a brain fart

Register/Login Script
        Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

• Ram_Industries
          First Lieutenant

• Dec 2005

Vasili:

Basically what I was interested in creating was a main landing page with
          information based on a city/towns events.

To give you a better idea of just some of the information which will be on the site, please view this link, http://Martech-Inc.biz/Alabama.html

Clicking on each city name will open up a simular page when any other city was clicked.

The site itself is not totally working yet but created a page to show you what I am trying to do.

Some of the information which will be placed on each city page will be businesses in lets say Birmingham. I am working on news from the area, crime blotters, video feeds from local news stations ( which I may need to have several news ststions to show how each is reporting the news and show less controversy.

This information will be made available to anyone but mainly for people of the said city/town.

Simular to Yellow Book, and Tv, but with alot more information like what businesses are available in Birmingham, Alabama, or Jacksonville, Florida....

Thank you

Robert Montgomery
          Ram_Industries
          Robert A. Montgomery

Comment

• zuriatman

• Sep 2006

My interpretation is "A GATEWAY TO A DIRECTORY OF:"
            www.siapamoyanganda.com/
            Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
            State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

• navaldesign
              General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

Hmm. My idea of a portal, as described, or at least as i understood it, is the same as Watdaflip's.

However, "Portal" term apart, a site that needs to categorize feeded info, and allow searching and viewing in a specific way, needs php / mysql or other similar engines.

Using a forum script, is in my opinion a very poor way to create such a site, and certainly not what i would consider the "professional" way.
              Navaldesign
              Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
              Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
              DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
              Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• Ram_Industries
                First Lieutenant

• Dec 2005

Gateway is a better term I would guess.

The only thing that I want to convey is instead of having to search at many links, you can find what you are looking for at one link. A page that speaks about the city / town you are interested in finding information about.

A Yellow Book, a Newspaper, a TV station, a Weather conditions map ( dopplar map included ).

To often times I catch myself reaching for a phone book or yellow pages book to look up a business and to call them. With this system I think having everything in one place would benefit more then trying to find it in a book or newspaper. Besides it gives the user interactivity to see what they want, when they want it.

In retrospect, if a user wanted to contact the business entity there would be an email, phone number (+ FAX) or address......

Each business if applicable can have photos of the business or a video of the business. Webpage of the business can also be seen.

So when you click on the Gatekeeper main page you are taken to the country where the your interests would be. If in Australia there is an Australia link from the main page, which will open up to all the cities / towns. Each city or town will have their own page set up about that city or town.

Truely a Yellow Book on steroids!

Thanks for all your imputs.

Robert Montgomery
                Ram_Industries
                Ram_Industries
                Robert A. Montgomery

Comment

• Ram_Industries
                  First Lieutenant

• Dec 2005

Navaldesign:

This will not be set up as a forum. It will be set up as a directory with interactivity capabilities.

Clicking on a businesses information links could possibly open a live feed if the business has such a program....or place an order from the site to a respective business.

This site will be about Amarillo, Texas as much as about Hell, Pennsylvania. No city will be left unturned. If I have lets say Detroit Michigan listed at the site then Detroit is what you will read about...

There is a feature I am working with at present that will possibly have Webex capabilities for each city/town.....

Far above what a forum will provide.

Just wanted to give you a simple explanation. Hopeful launch date is Setptember 1st..........

Robert Montgomery
                  Ram_Industries
                  Ram_Industries
                  Robert A. Montgomery

Comment

• navaldesign
                    General & Forum Moderator

• Oct 2005

Many "Your Local" type sites offer the above or similar features. In my understanding, what you need is a directory like script that will allow you to feed in info and then the user will be able to search by categories, subcategories and / or / keywords. Of course, you can have the weather brodcast, radio or TV live feed and more, such as provide a contact form (the user mails the bussines through your site, a good reason for that bussines to edvertise on your site), others provide a space for small comments about each bussines / service they have had experience through (though these MUST be approved by you before going online, to avoid spammers)
                    Navaldesign
                    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
                    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
                    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
                    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

• Ram_Industries
                      First Lieutenant

• Dec 2005

Navaldesign:

Keyword here as you said many LOCAL sites may have this information available.

What is not available is a national site that houses all the Local sites information.

Yes there will be contact forms created for someone to contact a particular business, or other key city official.

There will be a Portal Director who will be created to weed out any form of spam, or other type of improper activity as well as gather the information needed to put onto the cities webpage.

This Portal Director will be given a back office where they personnally will be able to update all information on the page. The Portal Director will not be just anyone, they must live in the area they are a Portal Director of.

So in all actuality, The Gatekeeper is also looking for Portal Directors to work the given area. A citys Portal Director will be called for instance, Atlanta, Georgia Portal Director or Seatle, Washington Portal Director.

It will be the responsibility of the Portal Director to get all the information needed for the citys page.

Yellow Book and Google do not offer what I will be offering at The Gatekeeper. Click on a state, see a list of cities in that state, click on a city, see everything about that city!! Businesses, entertainment, news. If it is happening in your city it will be found at The Gatekeeper!!

I know that is alot of information to be given about a city or town.

But there is no such place on the internet that has this type of imformation. And in one place!!!!

Have a look for yourself at: http://martech-inc.biz/Gatekeeper.html

Robert Montgomery
                      Ram_Industries
                      Last edited by Ram_Industries; 07-24-2007, 08:45 AM. Reason: Changing of link to Gatekeeper
                      Ram_Industries
                      Robert A. Montgomery

Comment

• zuriatman

• Sep 2006

Try this.

Goto Google, above the Search Bar click on Directory.
                        At the bottom of the page you will find the "dmoz"
                        open source project. You could link to this project by installing their search bar.
                        www.siapamoyanganda.com/
                        Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
                        State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Working...
                        X