• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mwalsh62
    Major

• Jul 2007

Bethers SEO review, pleeeeease?

Hi,

I've downloaded, read, and attempted to implement your booklets, but I am afraid I may be a bit daft when it comes to this aspect of building. I've ran site report card, I think I flunked! If you would take a look, at your convenience, and just point me in a direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

A couple of specific questions: If content is changing on a regular basis, I assume keywords also need to? How important are headers? What exactly is a header, and how would I include in my design?
  • Bethers
    Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

Re: Bethers SEO review, pleeeeease?

Interesting site.

However, I don't know from the home page if I would have clicked any of the other pages - as I really didn't understand what the site was about or why I'd want to.

You are mistaking a header and headlines. You have a header - that's your picture and name. You have headlines (although not in h1 tags) but not good ones - and yes they are very important. Your first headline on your home page is "welcome" -does me no good - does you no good. That's where you need a headline that tells me that I've found the page I want to be at - using the keywords/information in a concise headline to do that.

You have about 3 (maybe up to seconds to keep someone on your site - which means they won't have gotten into the paragraph to find out that you have what they want - so you have to do so with your page titles (good on some interior pages, not so good on the home page) and with titles, bolded words, etc.

You don't understand the purpose of meta keywords, either. You certainly didn't get that from my ebook :) - Your first word is life - why would you have that as your first keyword? That's not going to help you - shouldn't even be there. Most of them shouldn't be there. You have WAY too many words in there, including typos - when you want the actually words/phrases ONLY for THAT page.

What do you want your site to accomplish? What's the purpose? If I did find your site, and then scrolled down and saw all those banners at the bottom, I'd leave because of those - as I'd think you didn't take yourself seriously - you lose any professionalism. Your site is fun - and that's fine - but it's still important to be professional. Those links should be on the pages they relate to - or on a separate links page.

Now, maybe, because of the type of site you are - you can intermix these - but I really can't tell what you want more - to sell the things you have on the pages, or to have these affiliate banners.

Again, you have an interesting site - but people need to be able to follow it - and right now, it's too confusing - which is the reason for proper headlines, etc.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

• mwalsh62
      Major

• Jul 2007

Thank you Beth,

You're right, it isn't a serious site, but I do want to make it as productive as possible w/o getting too serious. I'll take your observations and see what I can do. Back to the books!

Thanks again,

Comment

• mwalsh62
        Major

• Jul 2007

Pssst, Bethers? Are you out there?

I did some more studying, I'm still not sure if I get it, but I did some revamping on index and kitchen pages. Can you tell me if I'm on the right track before I move on to others?

My bottom still stings from your last verbal spanking, but let me have it!

Many Thanks,

Comment

• VodaHost
          General & Forum Administrator

• Mar 2005

Moving to search engine section.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          1-302-283-3777 North America / International
          02036089024 / United Kingdom
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• Bethers
            Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

You are definitely on the right track. Much, much better!

Now, go back and spell entertainment correcty :)

I'd still completely remove your Welcome! - get right to the good stuff :)

Also - add alt attributes to all your images - that tell people who for whatever reason can't see the image what it is they can't see - and I suggest making them each clickable to the relevant pages.

For example, the Metal Pen pic - would be good to have the alt say "stainless steel metal pen" and make it clickable to Grand Illusions - OR have the alt say "Stainless steel metal pen from Grand Illusions" - get the idea? (And, of course, if these are all affiliates - I hope - make sure the link is your affiliate link).

Glad you understand that I'm here to help, and just don't mince words. And my spankings really are not meant to give pain but to teach. You've learned a lot.
            Beth
            A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

Working...
            X