• David Marshall
    Major

• Feb 2006

key word/phrase help please

Dave marshall

Hi all,

i have a site that offers a service in a set geographical area soooo
    on my keywords/phrases should I change them from:

hypnotherapy, hertfordshire, to hypnotherapy hertfordshire, or does it not really matter.

thanks for any help as ever,

dave
    Dave

Law of Attraction Books
    Hypnotherapy Hertfordshire
    Reiki Books
  • Marincky
    General

• Apr 2006

Re: key word/phrase help please

Originally posted by David Marshall View Post
    www.consciouscreation.co.uk
    Dave marshall

Hi all,

i have a site that offers a service in a set geographical area soooo
    on my keywords/phrases should I change them from:

hypnotherapy, hertfordshire, to hypnotherapy hertfordshire, or does it not really matter.

thanks for any help as ever,

dave
    You may get conflicting answers here Dave, however, when I have created a website for anyone supplying goods or a service in a set area such as town, county etc I have ensured this area is in the page title somewhere on the home page at least and also ensured the postal address is somewhere on the home page too. In my experience this HAS made a definite push towards my clients receiving good results where THEY expect to see it.

'Gardener in Worcester' My client is on page one (Mygardenservices)
    'Gardener in Hereford' again page one
    'wedding dresses in berkshire' page one (village brides)
    'prom dresses in shropshire' page one (a spire gowns)
    'evening dresses in worcestershire' page one (a spiregowns)
    'Wedding photographer in Hertfordshire' page one (jamesandbarbaraweddingphotography)
    'dog sitting in worcester' page one (waggingtailsworcester)
    'spray tanning Newcastle' page one (top-2-toe)

I could go on... and on...
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

• David Marshall
      Major

• Feb 2006

hi ramsey,

hope your well. thanks for the feedback. It seems a 'push' is what the site needs, it is one page two of google for the main terms I want and has been there for a while, I am posting on forums with text links and altering text where i can see it could be better for seo but it seems a lttle stuck (if a website can be stuck)

another site i have has zoomed onto the front page of google but this one is taking its time. would more content help, like a page on hertfordshire itself?

at a bit of a loss here.

I have added my address to the front page,

dave
      Dave

Law of Attraction Books
      Reiki Books

Comment

• Marincky
        General

• Apr 2006

hi ramsey,

hope your well. thanks for the feedback. It seems a 'push' is what the site needs, it is one page two of google for the main terms I want and has been there for a while, I am posting on forums with text links and altering text where i can see it could be better for seo but it seems a lttle stuck (if a website can be stuck)

another site i have has zoomed onto the front page of google but this one is taking its time. would more content help, like a page on hertfordshire itself?

at a bit of a loss here.

I have added my address to the front page,

dave
        I wouldn't necessarily say a page on Hertfordshire will help and what you have to remember is.. will it help the site visitors? In other words if your site is promoting a ladies lingerie shop in Hertfordshire and you put a page on the site all about Hertfordshire in the 18th century...... see what I mean?

Is it the consciouscreation site?
        Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

• David Marshall
          Major

• Feb 2006

hi,

no it is my hypnotherapy site
          www.themindconsultant.co.uk

dave
          Dave

Law of Attraction Books
          Reiki Books

Comment

• Marincky
            General

• Apr 2006

hi,

no it is my hypnotherapy site
            www.themindconsultant.co.uk

dave
            Looks to me that there are a few well established sites in front of you. You can't expect to jump the queue on what is (to Google) a failry new site. You know... when I created my wedding directory 3 years ago, well every other wedding directory was on top of mine, I was nowhere to be seen... but persistance, a lot of hard work, even more time (16 hours a day, 7 days a week for 3 years) and now my directory appears above most of those other directories for thousands of search terms and I have 24,000 MORE visitors a month than I did 3 years ago. Three of my main competitors who were extremely well established when I started out are now paid advertisers on MY directory to THEIR directories!!

But it doesn't just come to you, you have to really work at it Dave. I set myself a goal of getting my site listed on 20 well ranked sites every day and I made sure I stuck to it. I also set myself a target of posting on 5 wedding forums a day, which again I stuck to. I also gave away roughly £20,000 worth of advertising every year for the first 2 years which gave me massive amounts of content and a much bigger site.

Too many people think 'ok i got my site on page 1, that's the hard part over with' They couldn't be more wrong. It's the easiest thing in the world to get a page 1... it's 100 times harder to keep it there!

You have a page 2 at the moment Dave, that's something to be proud of mate, and trust me, for a business such as yours, people WILL go much deeper than page 2 when they search.

Most search terms these days bring up unwanted results on the first couple of pages anyway.

For example, look for a plumber in Hertfordshire... You get 3 pages of sites promising links to 'plumbers in Hertfordshire'. It's not until you get to page 3 can you actually see your first Plumbers site!

Comment

• David Marshall
              Major

• Feb 2006

thanks for your feedback, it is good to get some positive vibes coming back, it can feel a bit like banging my head against a wall sometimes. It may that the site is not newer and yes there are some well established sites on that front page. I will carry on doing what i know works..

I was thinking about creating a site, directory like (not weddings), any advice? I suppose the key is to have a market that has a vast number of products/services etc to give the best number of keywords?

dave
              Dave

Law of Attraction Books
              Reiki Books

Comment

• Marincky
                General

• Apr 2006

thanks for your feedback, it is good to get some positive vibes coming back, it can feel a bit like banging my head against a wall sometimes. It may that the site is not newer and yes there are some well established sites on that front page. I will carry on doing what i know works..

I was thinking about creating a site, directory like (not weddings), any advice? I suppose the key is to have a market that has a vast number of products/services etc to give the best number of keywords?

dave
                Something else David...

Everyone tends to make the mistake when looking for their websites on Page one of Google by typing in what THEY think are the phrases they should appear under.

However, I can tell you from studying many stats, especially my wedding directory and looking at thousands and thousands of entered phrases that people very rarely type in what you think they will...

You are typing in 'Hypnotherapist in Hertfordshire' and seeing yourself on page 2, however, people tend to elaborate on their search terms, I know I do myself...

for example, it wouldn't be a surprise at all if someone went to Google and typed:
                'I have a fear of the dentist, i need a hypnotherapist in Hertfordshire'

Go see the results for yourself... you appear TWICE on page one!

'Fear of flying, looking for help, Hertfordshire'

You are on Page one....

If I had the time, I would bet you £200 by the end of tonight I could find you another 50 phrases at least that will bring you up on page one.

Comment

• Marincky
                  General

• Apr 2006

With regards to advice about creating a directory, I could write you an essay... but the ONE main thing I would tell anyone is, whatever the directory is about.... don't try and get ANY form of revenue from it for at LEAST a year.

Can you imagine anyone wanting to pay you to advertise on a directory with no on else on there?

Advertise in bold on your home page that ALL adverts are FREE until.....

This will encourage hundreds / thousands of advertisers and bring you tons of content. Then when the directory is established and looking somewhere like a decent resource site... then and only then start to slowly bring in charges (starting low and increasing)

I had to more or less beg people to pay to advertis on my directory for the first part of it's second year... Now they come to me... and daily.

You quickly mentioned on your last post that your directory was 'not wedding'... Don't do that on my behalf David... I LOVE competition

Anyway, I have two clients who own wedding directories that I market for them, despite having my own. They know me well enough to know that I give them the same input as I do my own.. There's plenty of room for more, jump on board!

Comment

• David Marshall
                    Major

• Feb 2006

how do you manage the content then? I was thinking of doing this on the conscious creation site by adding loads of articles on various related subjects whilst offering space on the site for relevant advertisers, letting the numbers of visitors build then placing google ads and start charging later..

My concern is that there are not enough related subjects in this rather niche area but that may be a lack of imagination on my part..

sound ok?

dave
                    Dave

Law of Attraction Books
                    Reiki Books

Comment

• Marincky
                      General

• Apr 2006

how do you manage the content then? I was thinking of doing this on the conscious creation site by adding loads of articles on various related subjects whilst offering space on the site for relevant advertisers, letting the numbers of visitors build then placing google ads and start charging later..

My concern is that there are not enough related subjects in this rather niche area but that may be a lack of imagination on my part..

sound ok?

dave
                      On a personal level, if it was my website and business I wouldn't do as you say above, but I possibly would consider starting a new site (directory) of different types of help/counselling... hypnotherapy, acupuncture, NLP, etc etc... This could help you in a couple of ways...

1) generate you an income from businesses wishing to list on your directory (in time)
                      2) Google Adsense revenue potential (I earn more from this than advertisers)
                      3) Put YOUR own business on the directory in a very visual place... (I have a couple of wedding related businesses which get hundreds of hits from my own wedding directory)

Comment

• David Marshall
                        Major

• Feb 2006

ok great feedback,

thanks for all that help and for letting me divert off a bit.

I will have a think about it, I have a domain called theholisticstore.co.uk that could be used for such a venture and more and has the possibilities for many, many products/services etc

I will have a think about what I want to with this website thing, it is weird, I know how to build a site and get it on google, one of my sites comes up on page one out of over 2 million poss, but I also realised that what i don't know yet is how to make real money from those sites, that is the next part to learn..

dave
                        Dave

Law of Attraction Books
                        Reiki Books

Comment

• sedona
                          Major General

• Jun 2007

Originally posted by Marincky View Post
                          I possibly would consider starting a new site (directory) of different types of help/counselling... hypnotherapy, acupuncture, NLP, etc etc... This could help you in a couple of ways...

1) generate you an income from businesses wishing to list on your directory (in time)
                          2) Google Adsense revenue potential (I earn more from this than advertisers)
                          3) Put YOUR own business on the directory in a very visual place... (I have a couple of wedding related businesses which get hundreds of hits from my own wedding directory)
                          Hi Dave, been following your thread and I think your domain theholisticstore.uk.co would do very well as a directory expanded a bit beyond your own personal field and utilizing Ramsey's excellent suggestions.

Best of luck...
                          Ken

If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys. Orson Wells

Comment

• David Marshall
                            Major

• Feb 2006

Hi Sedona,

yes I am seriously thinking of getting that going as my other sites do not have the breadth of possible areas. I have listed so many areas that I have now lost count, my concern now is how to make it more than a simple directory as there seem to be lots of them...

Dave
                            Dave

Law of Attraction Books
                            Reiki Books

Comment

Working...
                            X