• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ornametals
    Master Sergeant

• Jan 2007

Page size for good SEO

I have a general question about SEO. I search all over the web for SEO ideas and have found that most web sites the help with SEO have Long scroll down pages. Sites that help with internet marketing have Long Scroll down pages. Is this for better SEO? What is the benefit of this type of site? Should we be all converting to a long scroll down page instead of multiple pages?
  • Karen Mac
    General

• Apr 2006

Re: Page size for good SEO

SEO has nothing to do with page size but PAGE RELEVANCE. While these long scroll SQUEEZE pages appear to rank.. most people RUNNNNNN from them cuz they are usually a rip off.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Originally posted by Ornametals View Post
      I have a general question about SEO. I search all over the web for SEO ideas and have found that most web sites the help with SEO have Long scroll down pages. Sites that help with internet marketing have Long Scroll down pages. Is this for better SEO? What is the benefit of this type of site? Should we be all converting to a long scroll down page instead of multiple pages?
      No ... having a 'longer' Index page with large amounts of Textual Content stacked on it preserves the 'pitch' more than does it provide any difference in the values the SE might attribute to the site. The longer the website owner can keep a visitor on a single page reading the stuff, they greater chance they have in making a conversion (a sale, or for someone to drop their info as a lead).

It used to be an artificial way to add a greater degree of 'anchored text' in hopes to compensate for the fact sites of this nature were usually only 2-3 pages deep and had to find a way to create some degree of relevance in order to avoid being tagged as a 'non-compliant' website and flagged off the ranking. These types of sites began popping up right after the SE's began quietly de-valuing and actually penalizing sites published on sub-domains, once the preferred method of Spammers and scammers to 'clone' a multitude of tools (sites) in such numbers that would allow many to escape SE and IP sanctions, and not affect a domain name that was valauable (since sub-domains do not require a Domain).

Even after Google diminished the simple page META and re-focused on Core Elemental Valuations in October of last year, the remainder of earlier methods remains: although you are allowed to presenting up to 1000 words of Content on a web page to the SE's to consider as formatted relevance, the bots will actually read only up to 300-500 words in the First Position of a web page to use to ascertain relevance and compliance. That is why it is important to have all your KW/KP anchors up front, and that all your Content is properly formatted (includes H-META, etc.).

Standard Page Widths for compliance are still 762, 775, 825, and 875, the latter two depending on the type of site as to whether or not they are "allowable" (the key aspect is universiality of view, so such foundations like shopping carts rarely are wider than 775 for static builds, and thus the reason fluid page widths becoming more favored and the surge in their applications).

Your original question of how page dimensions apply to SEO has bearing only with regard to the web page build being compliant or not as the first item on the SEO checklist of "optimization items" and so very much less to do with the large amounts of Content and whether or not it is "optimized" or able to be optimized.
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• Ornametals
        Master Sergeant

• Jan 2007

Thanks Vasili, I am still pretty new at SEO and just found it interesting that there where so many of these types of sites.

Comment

• mfahey
          Sergeant First Class

• Aug 2006

Re: Page size for good SEO//question 4 Vasilli

I read your answer and have a couple of questions.

Page widths were listed, but 800 is not.

Should non e-commerce sites be one of the widths you mentioned?
          So if my site is 850, it would be excluded?

Is there a way to tell your page width like right clicking and viewing source code (on pages not built with BV?

Can search engines penalize you if you are an add on domain..or can't they tell?
          I ask this because I have 6 websites on my account.
          when I view in Awstats, it shows as addondomain.MYMAINACCOUNT.com

Do Search engines see my sites as an add on domain?

I hope this is clear.

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Re: Page size for good SEO//question 4 Vasilli

Originally posted by mfahey View Post
            I read your answer and have a couple of questions.

Page widths were listed, but 800 is not. Correct .,. it is not listed because the default limit IS 800, so 775 is below that max width (and allows a minimum of background to "frame" the page, and 825 is just OVER the defualt, and at the basic settings, requires a minimum of horizontal scroll for 'out-of'the'box' monitor resolution settings ---- yet 825 is still optimal settings (provides page size and background spacing) when monitor resolution is pre-set at 1024 wide.

Should non e-commerce sites be one of the widths you mentioned?
            So if my site is 850, it would be excluded? It would not be excluded, but it will not fall into 100% "comliance" valuations the SE's use to grade the first aspect of ranking a site, which is the "Build" (construct) and how it measures up to the "Perfect Page Model", and would thus score a less than possible valuation. Non-eCommerce sites are best presented at 775 or 825 ... again, depending on the degree to which you wish to score in compliance to the standards and remain User-oriented.

Is there a way to tell your page width like right clicking and viewing source code (on pages not built with BV?) Depends on the method used to create the foundation .... many aspects of simple page definition are usually defined using stylesheets (CSS, for example) which are separate files from that which can normally be accessed using "View Source." (meaning cannot be accessed using simple 'View Source' because they are individually loaded files that are only associated to the page file via scripting). Purely HTML created sites (i.e.: Dreamweaver created sites), however, WILL show page definitions in page source.

Can search engines penalize you if you are an add on domain..or can't they tell? Yes, they can tell single domains from sub-domains, yet have no significantr issues with Add-On domains (which are in fact a sub-domain with a registered domain name directed to a specific directory) other than the slight slip in importance as it associates the account heirarchy: if Site B is an add-on to the primary domain of Site A, Site B is immediately ranked lesser to Site A by the SE's but in relation to the WWW will still be individually evaluated according to specific relevancy for that site, even though there MAY be residual associative values attached but not diminished.
            I ask this because I have 6 websites on my account.
            when I view in Awstats, it shows as addondomain.MYMAINACCOUNT.com

Do Search engines see my sites as an add on domain? See Above.

I hope this is clear. As do I.

Comment

• mfahey
              Sergeant First Class

• Aug 2006

Thanks,
              You are a scholar and a gentleman.
              The reply was extremely helpful and I appreciate the prompt feedback.

Mike

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Anytime, Mike!

Comment

Working...
                X