• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pink_eeyore
    First Lieutenant

• Nov 2008

NOODP robort

I understand how this robot meta tag works but I am not sure how it affects my SEO. Once my snippit is showing, does it affect how google chooses to display my site (ranking wise) since perhaps I do have keywords on the page but not on my snippit (which should not be the case yet very probable)?

Does google still give the same search result credibility for my site with the NOODP robot meta tag or will it be harder for my site to show up in search results since google won't be able to pick and choose which words/sentences to add to the description of my page?!
    Mr. Big Paw
    Somewhere in the CO mountains
    Big Paw Services
  • Vasili

• Mar 2006

Re: NOODP robort

Again, no need to complicate things or attend minutia.
    Any robot file is a "command" the SE's take into consideration when evaluating a site, and they particularly are looking for "do not folow" moreso than 'directions' .... they have their own auto-pilot manner of discovery that does not need any help from you.

Once the bots find out which pages NOT to run, they will then look for those permitted pages and on those pages first for the additional elements which have been properly formatted for cache elevation (H-META, simple page META, etc.). They will never go back to a file for additional instructions or to assume conditions (your NOODP file). Having additional, or duplicated 'read' files for a single website is dysfunctional and MAY prove to be an instance of redundancy that could de-value the overall site assessment.

Have single read file (robots.txt, NOODP, etc.) and a validated sitemap.xml file and leave it at that.

By trying to attend to minute details of optimization for a site genre that you have, you may expect to run into conflicting valuations by the SE's, as they will likely see your unnecessary "refinements" as overkill, and nudge you into a generalized site classification as 'suspect' or even 'non-compliant' inasfar as you have all the construct in place but not enough Content/relevant Content to justify such a detailed construct. Get it?
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

• pink_eeyore
      First Lieutenant

• Nov 2008

Well with 30 plus inches on the ground there isn't much for me to do with resorts yet to open and it's too early for backcountry but I digress.

Thanks for the info. My reasoning for the NOODP was because I'm still waiting around for DMOZ to add my site and seeing those random undescriptive descriptions was getting annoying. Been waiting over 1.5 months already for DMOZ to add me to their directory...

Once again I appreciate you input - I guess I'm one of many that really want to do the best for our site and go a little overboard but how can we know without your input?! ;)

For clarification can you explain to me about what you mean by "have single read file". I have a robots.txt file but I am not sure I understand how to add a NOODP to a single file. As of now, I just added the tag to my header of each page which I will take out if that is not necessary.
      Mr. Big Paw
      Somewhere in the CO mountains
      Big Paw Services

Comment

• Vasili

• Mar 2006

Not ... it is not necessary, and not preferred. A standard robots.txt file is still preferred, and is always looked for first.
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
        X