• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steve croxton
    Staff Sergeant

• Nov 2008

206 & 404 content codes

When I take a look at the analytics there are always loads of 206 Partial content (74.5%) and 404 Document not found (25.4%). Before the end of January I went through all of the published items on the FTP manager to try and establish which ones should not be there. I found a few and deleted them but it is very difficult to establish whether a particular item, ie, a grey rectangular box or an outline of a rectangle for example, if these items are actually part of the current page layouts or not.

I had considered deleting every item, only leaving the page tritles and then republishing all pages, to hopefully only end up with the items that are required. Can anybody help?

My website address is www.b2l.info
  • DarrenC
    Brigadier General

• Jul 2008

Re: 206 & 404 content codes

Hello Steve if you delete stuff off your pages, republishing will not make a blind bit of difference, because previously published items will still be on the server.

I think this is an addon domain isn't it?

Now I am going to suggest something, I've never tried it!! so before you commit get feed back from others here.

If this is an 'addon domain' I would delete it from your CPanel. I would then recreate it. Logic tells me that when you check the contents via FTP, the addon folder should be pretty much empty. Now when you republish your BV pages everything you see via FTP will be relevant.

Like I said Steve...I've never tried this...wait for someone else to comment.
    Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

• steve croxton
      Staff Sergeant

• Nov 2008

Hi Darren

I do have 2 completely different log-ins for each web site and they are purposely on different IP addresses, do you still think they could be effectively cross contimating each other?

Regards

Steve

Comment

• DarrenC
        Brigadier General

• Jul 2008

I don't know. Do you from time to time publish pages to the wrong site?
        Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

• steve croxton
          Staff Sergeant

• Nov 2008

I know it happened on one occassion, but is so long ago I cannot remember which web site was affected, but both web sites have high numbers of 206 and 404 codes.

Comment

Working...
          X