How to retrieve files from old hard disk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to retrieve files from old hard disk

Files stuck in old hard disk may sound a little queer but I just had a new hard disk installed and removed the old ones..and the person who fixed them for me was supposed to backup the files on the hard disk and reload onto the new hard disk but he didn't. Instead he handed me the CPU with the new hard disk and new windows installed and now how do I get back my old files on the hard disk? Is there any external plug-in device that I can attach and hook up to the USB port that can help me get those important data back?
    Exclusive Contents-400-500 word original, high-quality articles for $5

Re: How to retrieve files from old hard disk

I hope you didnt PAY the guy.......................

You stated that he removed "the old Ones"
    which means that you still have a spare slot on your motherboard.

If you stick back the important one then your problem is solved.

Otherwise, go to a good computer shop and ask them to copy All the files on your old drive onto a memory stick(quite cheap these days) and then use your usb port to copy to your new hard drive...or simply access them from the stick.

good luck

have fun
    Have fun
    Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
    Newbies / Beginners Forum
    FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
    My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
    Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Hi Sara,

You can take the old disk to the computer shop and ask them to fit it into a USB2 external casing so you can use it as an external disk drive.

This way you can leave all your old files where they are and transfer only the files you need to the new hard disk yourself by plugging into any USB
      port on your new pc.
      www.siapamoyanganda.com/
      Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
      State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Actually.. You can open your computer, and plugin the old hard disk.. plug it in the cable strip (that funny thing that looks like packing or straping tape), plugin the power wires, set it down so its stable, turn on the computer and have both disks running.. you could just copy it or leave it there.. If you cant get it to read.. shut down, look on the back of the disk and you will see a lil plastic thing over some pins...pull out the plastic thing and slip it over to fit to the opposite side of the pins and put it back in the computer. When your computer boots.. go into the set up and look for a SLAVE drive and check off the parameters for this drive.. save and exit and reboot.

If you arent computer savvy or this is above you.. take it to a shop..LOL

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Sara,
          Karen told you the cheapest way to do it. There may even be an extra slot below, above or beside the new hard drive, you could put it there and do as Karen has outlined. If that's not an option since you had some one else install the new one. You can go to any store that sells computers and parts, and buy a external hard drive case, with a USB connection cord and put the drive in it and plug it in and waalaa you have mass storage device on your tree. Takes about 15-20 minutes and it cost me about $30 us.
          Good luck!!
          Mike

Any excuse for non performance only weakens the charactor

In God We Trust

Comment

Working...
          X