• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leethesign
    Second Lieutenant

• Aug 2008

Anti Virus/Spyware

The past couple of days my computer has gone to two speeds - dead slow and asleep and I keep getting these damnable pop up ads telling me I've got pop ups appearing - YES I KNOW!!!!

I decided to have a look for some new software stuff to try and eliminate the problems. I've already got Windows Defender and Spybot running but they don't seem to be too effective so I looked on t'internet for something else and " Lo & Behold " loads of free software to scan your computer and identify problems with your registry etc. etc.

Good Oh - run these and they tell me I've got half a trillion problems - but they won't fix them until I've bought the "Free" software. I've an aversion to sending money to people whose products claim to be the only ones available that are any good, and whose so-called free trials don't really exist, so I was wondering if you out there in Voda land can recommend your favourite anti virus & anti spyware package.

It'd be interesting to hear from you

Oh.....have a super Xmas time all.

Lee
    Casita Limonares
    Bay Watch Spain
  • LadyEye
    General & Forum Moderator

• Jun 2006

Re: Anti Virus/Spyware

Okay ... turn on your pop up blocker in windows ...

AVG and AVAST - both free versions of antivirus software ... recommended
    ... just be sure you do your own update with either each day .... that's the big thing about antivirus is keeping its database up to date ...

Lavasoft Adaware - free .. and recommended for spyware ...

Most of what those spyware places you have scanned through on the internet are finding cookies, cache .. that's a good portion of things, although you might have others ... - use adaware - it will solve things for you .. and I wouldn't be in the habit of letting just any old url scan my computer - so stay away from those ...

There's my thoughts!!

1. http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/per...-detector.html

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• LadyEye

• Jun 2006

Originally posted by LadyEye View Post
      Your anti-virus is not really designed to remove spyware. Getting deep into the registry or root of things is what may be necessary to cure your problem. Please see my note below as a precaution before you attempt any of this yourself. You do not have to live with this, nor should you.

You see, a lot of pests are designed with registry keys to re-install them even after uninstalling. There are free adaware programs and there are paid for programs. I have found it useful to download a trial version of Spy Doctor, who actually scans your computer and lists these hkeys, etc. showing you where these spys are residing. Although the trial version does not remove these keys, you have the path to their root, and manually can do so yourself.

Any software that covertly gathers user information through the user's Internet connection without his or her knowledge, usually for advertising purposes. Spyware applications are typically bundled as a hidden component of freeware or shareware programs that can be downloaded from the Internet; however, it should be noted that the majority of shareware and freeware applications do not come with spyware. Once installed, the spyware monitors user activity on the Internet and transmits that information in the background to someone else. Spyware can also gather information about e-mail addresses and even passwords and credit card numbers.
      Spyware is similar to a Trojan horse in that users unwittingly install the product when they install something else. A common way to become a victim of spyware is to download certain peer-to-peer file swapping products that are available today.
      Aside from the questions of ethics and privacy, spyware steals from the user by using the computer's memory resources and also by eating bandwidth as it sends information back to the spyware's home base via the user's Internet connection. Because spyware is using memory and system resources, the applications running in the background can lead to system crashes or general system instability.
      Because spyware exists as independent executable programs, they have the ability to monitor keystrokes, scan files on the hard drive, snoop other applications, such as chat programs or word processors, install other spyware programs, read cookies, change the default home page on the Web browser, consistently relaying this information back to the spyware author who will either use it for advertising/marketing purposes or sell the information to another party.
      Licensing agreements that accompany software downloads sometimes warn the user that a spyware program will be installed along with the requested software, but the licensing agreements may not always be read completely because the notice of a spyware installation is often couched in obtuse, hard-to-read legal disclaimers. www.webopedia.com

The difference between adware & Spyware - Click Here

A list of pests can be found here - Click here

The process or dll library – check your running processes here. To see what processes are running on your computer, click your task manager, found in your lower toolbar, be sure to tick show processes from all users. Click Here

grc - shield test, leak test, unplug & pray, useful safe computing tips Click Here

Missing software patches – They all can be found click here.

A computing forum - click here

A guide to removing spyware - click here

If you are uncomfortable booting your computer into safe mode, removing and editing registry keys, you should seek help. This is all free advice from my best sources, but I do not take any responsibility if you do not read or comprehend this information when putting this advice to practice. You need to back up and know what you are doing.

Hope this helps.
      There is a bit more from a post I made earlier.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• leethesign
        Second Lieutenant

• Aug 2008

Wow---that's comrehensive.

Thanks v.much for the advice, I'll start looking
        Casita Limonares
        Bay Watch Spain

Comment

• cristy07
          Private

• Dec 2008

I think you should use NOD32, there's a crack edition of this, it permit you to use it and update new database for free in 68 years
          Use google with the keywords ("NOD32" & "68 years") you will find it
          :D
          Best pets for you

Comment

• LadyEye

• Jun 2006

Originally posted by leethesign View Post
            Wow---that's comrehensive.

Thanks v.much for the advice, I'll start looking
            Your're welcome Yes, good luck, it's a bit to consume, but over time you will get it right and then you will forget, lol ... so it's good to have a post handy .. and ya, I've been a victim ... ho hum hum ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

• Tom Finley
              Brigadier General

• Mar 2008

There's nothing new under the sun virus-wise...if you've got a problem so do many others, and some of them will post a fix. If a pop-up says "Download XYZ blah blah blah," google that name and there's a good chance someone will have a cure for you.

Just a word on AVG--it tends to cause more conflicts on your system then most (except maybe Norton). It is thoroughly hated by computer musicians and is mentioned here from time to time as well. If you use AVG and have some strange problem with any program you're using, the first thing to try is to disable AVG. It has a bad rep, in other words.
              CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
              CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
              CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

• mountainhigh57
                Private

• Dec 2008

hi there - am new and just browsing but ever on my list of headaches is this topic. So for my two cents worth on the topic - I see somebody has mentioned avast. A friend of mine said she had tried all sorts to get rid of a virus I think (and not spyware) from her pc and avast succeeded. Shortly after another friend when purchasing a laptop was recommended avast by the technician assisting her with the purchase. (both dislike Norton). So - on that note is there any other interest/experience in avast out there? My new pc has the usual free Norton trial and am considering using avast instead when it expires.

Comment

Working...
                X