• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahimsa
    Major General

• Jan 2009

Zip files

Hi everyone,
    I have Vista (only for a short time so still finding my way lol) & somehow have "lost" the facility to open zip files. I tried, without success!, to get help from Microsoft, but they always use language for "experts" which I most definitely am NOT!!
    Could someone please explain - in kids language - how I can get this facility back??
    thanks a lot for any help,
    david
    Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!
  • Collectors-info
    General

• Feb 2006

Re: Zip files

You say only for a short time? If its a trial version, maybe it has limitations.
    Have found this freebie easy to use.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

• flyer13
      Major

• Mar 2009

Originally posted by ahimsa View Post
      Hi everyone,
      I have Vista (only for a short time so still finding my way lol) & somehow have "lost" the facility to open zip files. I tried, without success!, to get help from Microsoft, but they always use language for "experts" which I most definitely am NOT!!
      Could someone please explain - in kids language - how I can get this facility back??
      thanks a lot for any help,
      david
      Do wish to convert your vista trial to full version? Just ask mate.

Comment

• ahimsa
        Major General

• Jan 2009

Hi Chris & Flyer13 - no it's a full version. I've had it now for a few months actually. The zip opener worked just fine until about 2 weeks ago. I went to the Microsoft help site & posted the same query. They came back with a lot of instructions I didn't really understand, but I had the impression it would be quite easy to re-activate the zip opener if only I just knew how to follow their instructions!!!!
        Maybe it would be just as effective (& easier?) to download a freebie zip opener as you suggest?
        thanks anyway,
        david
        Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

• flyer13
          Major

• Mar 2009

well, a full version windows vista has a built in capacity to open compressed files. I have done so many times downloading trial software to open winzip files until just lately i realized the Vista OS is capable by itself. Goodluck.

Comment

• ahimsa
            Major General

• Jan 2009

Hi Flyer 13,
            maybe I didn't explain the situation properly.....
            You see I HAD the built-in zip facility & used it successfully many, many times. Until recently that is, like maybe 2 weeks ago. Then suddenly it disappeared!! Obviously it was user- error i.e me! Since then I've tried to recover this built-in zip facility without success. I know about the free trial WinZip but it seems a shame that I can't somehow recover the built in Vista facility. Microsoft Help said there was a way but when they gave the instructions to do it I could not follow them.........maybe I should just go back to them & ask them nicely if they could talk me through the process step-by-step
            thanks anyway fopr trying to help,
            david

Comment

• flyer13
              Major

• Mar 2009

Sometimes viruses have the tendency to corrupt certain windows programs. When that happens without us knowing it, we cannot expect the functionality of our PC in full. There are settings to restore the computer's features at a point in time before it was corrupted. Although we may have to let go some saved files. Better sechedule regular viruscan every now and then to avoid anything worst to come.

Comment

• Watdaflip
                Major General

• Sep 2005

I wouldn't just right to a virus, it could be any number of reasons. Its possible that the shortcut was accidentally moved, or some other simple reason.

Try using the computers help menu (hit F1 on your desktop). Do a search for zip, it might have a shortcut to utility built into the help text.

Also I wouldn't think of it as a shame for not being able to use the built in utility... I would think of it as a chance of using a superior zipping utility. (I joke, but generally there is always a better alternative to the utilities Microsoft provides by default).

Register/Login Script
                Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

• ahimsa
                  Major General

• Jan 2009

Tks Watdaflip - I agree I don't think it's virus-related either. I tried searching the help for Zip & it gave me the WinZip support site. I posted a request but I'm not optimistic :)
                  I'm no lover of Microsoft either, I'm intrigued by your reference of a "superior zipping utility".....tell me more, if you please?
                  david

Comment

• Watdaflip
                    Major General

• Sep 2005

There are any number of zipping programs to choose from. What I meant by superior is that for the most part when a copy or organization sets out to making a program its going to turn out to be a better program then one that Microsoft throws together to release with their OS.

Register/Login Script
                    Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

• ahimsa
                      Major General

• Jan 2009

I agree :) Any that you'd care to recommend?
                      david

Comment

• Watdaflip
                        Major General

• Sep 2005

I would recommend WinRAR, its free to use (its kind of a trial, but if you don't purchase a copy after 60 days it just gives a prompt whenever you load, so you can continue to use it)

WinRAR provides the full RAR and ZIP file support, can decompress CAB, GZIP and other archive formats

Register/Login Script

Comment

Working...
                        X