• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnheatingman
    Sergeant

• Sep 2006

XP File Transfer to Vista

Hi, I'm sure a lot of other users will suffer from the same problem as me either now or in the future. When using a new computer with Vista I wanted to transfer all my Voda image files, pics,and design images from XP to Vista.

In XP these were saved under " Documents And Settings" and my existing Voda website constructed using XP automatically looks for them under this file heading.

The obvious solution is to make up a new file in Vista named "Documents And Settings" however, Vista will not let me create a file named Documents And Settings without it automatically adding "John/users" as a prefix. This means that using Vista, my website can't identify all my existing Voda images and pic files for my site as it looks for Documents And Settings and not John/Users/Documents And Settings.

Is there a way of creating a "Documents And Settings" file in Vista without it automatically adding the prefix John/Users ??

Somebody on the forum suggested saving all XP files as Templates but as I have over 100 files with numerous links I don't know if this would create even more issues when I want to publish or ammend an existing file. It also would mean a lot of work saving all the various pages and files.

If anyone has a simple solution I would be very greatful to see it as I'm sure would other users who have changed from XP to Vista.

Many thanks
    John ( johnheatingman ) www.goinfishing.co.uk
  • johnheatingman
    Sergeant

• Sep 2006

Re: XP File Transfer to Vista

Hi

I have contacted Voda Support regarding this problem and received the following reply : "You will need to insert the images again, BlueVoda has lost the symlink to them."

Can someone please explain in very basic terms what this means and how this "symlink" has been lost as I have close on 50 pages that will now need to be revised. All I want to do is to run BV on a Vista based computer using my existing website.

Comment

• Watdaflip
      Major General

• Sep 2005

Re: XP File Transfer to Vista

They mean the the file path to the images has change, BlueVoda no longer has any idea of where those images are located at on your new computer.

You have the correct idea (at least the technically speaking correct idea), or trying to restore what the path to the images were when you were running XP.

Now I have only run Vista for about 20 minutes before I uninstalled it, so I can't offer a solution to Vista automatically adding a prefix. It is probably possible to change this behavior, although it will most likely cause other issues, a function like that isn't implemented arbitrarily.

The simplest way (albeit the most time consuming) is to open each and every page you have, and reinsert all of the images from their new location on your computer.

Someone might come along with a solution to the issue with Vista, but I'm entirely sure that is a viable solution

Register/Login Script
      Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Working...
      X