• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • uwengineer
    Private

• Jan 2009

new version of phpBB

hi, I wanted to install a new version of phpBB because the one currently in the Control Panel does not have the language I prefer. Please let me know how to update the version.
    Thank you
    lashiku
  • Tom Finley
    Brigadier General

• Mar 2008

Re: new version of phpBB

Everything you need to know (and more) is found at phpBB.com. In my case, I installed the version offered here at VodaHost, then immediately discovered version 3 at phpBB. So I just deleted my original installation and started over. To update (as oppsed to what I did) requires a conversion process only available at phpBB.
    CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
    CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
    CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

• zuriatman

• Sep 2006

Hi,

Delete the existing one in your cPanel.

Open a new folder in public_html and name it phpBB.

Download the new version from the phpBB site to your PC.
      Open the zip file.

Then upload the contents to the new folder in your cPanel using the FTP in BlueVoda.

Then goto your cPanel and install.
      www.siapamoyanganda.com/
      Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
      State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

• Tom Finley
        Brigadier General

• Mar 2008

That's if you have no existing users of your forum. If you do, you want to convert, not delete.

Comment

• zuriatman

• Sep 2006

Well Tom,

He has no option. Any phpBB installed with Fantastico cannot be upgraded
          using Fantastico. That is what I understood from the phpBB site.

If you want to upgrade you have to make a choice!
          www.siapamoyanganda.com/
          Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
          State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

• Tom Finley
            Brigadier General

• Mar 2008

You're right about Fantastico. I deleted/installed several months ago, then "locked" my forum until I can get back to it down the road--so my memory is foggy. But the way I recall it, the whole idea at phpBB.com is to "convert" (as they call it) from version 2 to version 3. That's why I told him to go to phpBB because you have to in order to convert--but as far as I know, he can convert 2 to 3 even if was originally installed by Fantastico. I could be wrong.

Another important point for the original poster: version 2 is no longer supported by phpBB, so you have every reason to replace it.

Comment

• Alien Dude
              Lieutenant Colonel

• Apr 2008

Any phpbb2 forum can be converted to phpbb3 but not though Fantastico to do so first watch the two tutorials Installing phpBB3 and Converting phpbb2 to phpBB3 on this page .

be warned that phpbb3 is totally different to phpbb2 there fore you would need to install phpbb3 first into a new folder. then convert your phpbb3 to accept the database from your old phpbb2. DO NOT DELETE YOUR OLD PHPBB2 UNTILL EVERYTHING IS RUNNING OK) also any of you that have moded or put styles on your phpbb2 these will not be brought over to your new phpBB3.
              When you have started the converting part. You will need to know the database info from your old forum this can be found in the config.php in the old forum folder.
              Once you have converted and you are happy you can delete your old forum. Then you can if wished go to your cpanel / file manager and rename the new forum to the old forums name there saving any redo of links.
              Alien Dude Solutions

Comment

Working...
              X