• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dovidshmuel
    First Lieutenant

• Sep 2008

Can't view the subforums on the opening page

I'm trying to start a forum on my site. I followed the instructions in the tutorial, renamed the main forum, and created 3 subforums in the main forum. Even though the tutorial shows a way to preview the forum, there doesn't seem to be a way in the current version of phpBB (which is different than the screens in the tutorial). So when I try to enter the forum by the URL www.mysite.com/forum, it just shows the main forum and not the subforums.
    I tried to make the subforums into categories, but the opening page just showed the first category.
    How do I get all the subcategories to show on the initial page that a viewer sees.
    Thanks for the help in advance.
  • dovidshmuel
    First Lieutenant

• Sep 2008

Re: Can't view the subforums on the opening page

I was able to get one of three subforums listed under the "Main Forum" by changing the permissions in the General forum settings section, by clicking "yes" for "List subforum in parent-forum’s legend." I did the same for the other two subforums, but only the first subforum shows up.

Any suggestions?

Comment

• Karen Mac
      General

• Apr 2006

You are going in the right direction.. you just need to keep tweaking your permissions and parent directories etc. Its impossible to tell without logging in and looking at what you have done and set up.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• dovidshmuel
        First Lieutenant

• Sep 2008

I got the subforums to be listed by changing the "do not copy permissions" choice, to make all the subforums copy the permissions from the first subforum. Even though I had manually made the permissions of all the subforums the same, it only listed them once I copied the permissions.

Comment

• dovidshmuel
          First Lieutenant

• Sep 2008

Further experience shows that it doesn't matter which subforum I copy the permissions from. What does matter is that I have to BOTH copy the permissions from one of the subforums AND check "yes" in the "List subforum in parent-forum’s legend" choice. Just copying the permissions doesn't get the subforum listed under the main forum in the opening page.

Comment

• zuriatman

• Sep 2006

A sub-forum is a forum under the main forum so you have to goto your main forum and select the sub-forum before you can view the subforum itself.
            www.siapamoyanganda.com/
            Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
            State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

• dovidshmuel
              First Lieutenant

• Sep 2008

The problem was the subforums weren't being listed under the main forum until I made the above changes in the permissions.

Comment

• zuriatman

• Sep 2006

Do not copy any permissions is what I did for my forum, and I dont have any problems.
                www.siapamoyanganda.com/
                Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
                State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

Working...
                X