• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pippy
    Master Sergeant

• Jul 2008

New members cannot join forum?

I have a problem with my forum... I did not instal my forum the voda host designers did about 12 months ago...I have not changed any off the settings, and I did not know there was a problem with the forum because older members can still post.. but a friend tried to join and I have checked and tried and new members cannot join. I was getting a lot of spam and I was deleting it with the ip address and username... but have had no new members for a while now. I am not sure what to do.. I have had a look at the permissions etc... can someone please help me or direct me to where I could change what is wrong.
    Thanks Louise.
    this is the forum http://www.rocksrevealed.com/jewellerytalk/
    my web is www.rocksrevealed.com
  • Collectors-info
    General

• Feb 2006

Re: New members cannot join forum?

Not sure what's wrong, but it wouldn't let me register & got this message.
    The username you entered has been disallowed or contains a disallowed word. Please choose a different name.
    I tried 3 or 4 user names but still no joy.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

• Pippy
      Master Sergeant

• Jul 2008

Hi Chris.. that is what I got too and my friends.... would it help Chris if I gave you my user name and password? Louise

Comment

• Collectors-info
        General

• Feb 2006

Must admit that i am not up on forums. But it seems like one of the permissions in your admin area has changed.
        But you may have more luck with info on the phpBB forum. Unfortunately a lot of the guys & girls that were really good with forums are not around so often now days. ???????? phpBB forum link
        Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

• Pippy
          Master Sergeant

• Jul 2008

Thanks Chris I will check it out. Louise

Comment

• zuriatman

• Sep 2006

Hi Pippy,

I just tried to register and my registration was rejected.
            Your forum did not recognized my email as genuine?

Ther is not much to set in the User Registration Setting or The Visual Confirmation Setting.

In your effort to fight the spam in your forum you may have checked the box and enabled the checking of all registrant emails against the SpamHaus Black List.

I too have spam problem in my forum and at one time activated the checking of all registration emails which had resulted in a lot of what they term as False/Positive results. Even my forum Moderator was denied access to privliges accorded to him in the forum.

Ever since I deactivated the Spamhaus Black List check, I have had no problem.

It is in the forum settings. Check it out first and see what happens.
            www.siapamoyanganda.com/
            Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
            State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

• Pippy
              Master Sergeant

• Jul 2008

Hi Zuritaman.... I went and had a look at the settings that you suggested... and it wasn't on.... would it be possible to give you me password and user name... my email address is louise@rocksrevealed.com
              as it is the forum is useless the way it is.... thanks for your help Louise.

Comment

• Alien Dude
                Lieutenant Colonel

• Apr 2008

The first thing is always back track to when this started happening and what if anything you might of done to course this to happen.
                have you had any modification done to the forum.
                Have you updated the forum.
                Have you installed a skin or style.
                prier to this happen also any changes you may have made to the admin area.
                Alien Dude Solutions

Comment

• Pippy
                  Master Sergeant

• Jul 2008

Thanks Alien Dude... I will go back over and see if I can find out what I have done... The last person I deleted was spam and he was a guest... but I remember having difficulty deleting his post, as the system did not reconized the member guest... and it is still there... I did notice that there is a restore in maintence.... thanks Louise.

Comment

• Pippy
                    Master Sergeant

• Jul 2008

Thank everyone for helping me.... problem fixed... a guy by the name of CJ fixed it... I was trying to delete a spam member and his post... some time ago and I have delete the the member but not the post.. now in doing that the post was turned into a "guest post"... in trying to delet guest and his post , I used the wild card which in turn blocked everyone... I would never have figured it out..... so thanks everyone, hopefully someone will find this info relevant!
                    Cheers Lou.

Comment

Working...
                    X